Need help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help!

I took the tape off Izabell's ears tonight, breeder told me to change it every 2 wks, so tomorrow night we are to retape them. I have a couple questions, first Izabell hates to have her ears touched, any suggestions on ways to calm her. She flips out and it takes everything I have to hold onto her. Second, when we took the tape off there were sores all over the back of her ears. Some started bleeding, I tried to clean them up but she wouldn't hold still, so not sure how good of a job I did at that. Should I retape them tomorrow night or leave them alone for a few days? I don't know what to do, I don't think they will heal if I keep taping them, but the breeder said to only leave them untaped if there was a bad odor. I'm new at this so any help is appreciated!
    sigpic

I'm going to get you!!

are you very far from your breeder? it might be a good idea to take her back and have her show you what you need to be doing. Also, do not let her "freak out" when you are touching her ears. Make her sit there!

When Karma tried to "freak out" I sat on the floor with her on a leash and held her to me and kept touching her ears. She squirmed and wiggled and cried like I was stabbing her with a butter knife, but I knew dang well that the gentle touches I was doing was not hurting her. eventually she saw that I was not hurting her and she was throwing a tantrum for nothing. IF you don't win these little battles with her now at this age and size, how you will gain her respect when she can knock you down if she dosn't want to do something...

Clean the ears well, put some gold bond anti itch powder on them, and put them back up. end of story. good luck.

Comment

The breeder lives 4 hrs away, she did show me how to tape them back up and she drew instructions. I think Izabell pushes me around to see what she can get away with, she has even forgot her leash manners. I didn't give up taking the tape off, I kept holding her and told her she was ok. I was worried though that it was hurting, since it was removing fur and skin.
      sigpic

I'm going to get you!!

Comment

Originally posted by Izabellsmommy View Post
        I was worried though that it was hurting, since it was removing fur and skin.
        That does sound like it's hurting her. Are you using some type of adhesive remover? I've always used a remover and I've been through 5 crops and have never had a puppy have a problem with me touching their ears or removing the tape and then re-taping them. I never took skin off, though, sounds really painful.
        Karen, Chance, Lucy and Savanah RB

sigpic

Comment

Agreed, I woud use Smith & Nephew's Unisolve or Remove. This will allow the tape to come easily with no removal of hair and definitely not skin. I also wouldn't leave the ears up for than 7-10 days a time. You risk too much chance of moisture getting inside the taped area and causing sores. I usually retape every weekend. Take the ears done with remover, let them air out for a 1/2 hour to an hour. Then wipe them down with alcohol to make sure all the adhesive remover is gone. Then I put a light coating of gold bond on each ear, especially between the ear folds. Then I tape them back up. Dry to keep them dry for the week or you will need to retape more frequently to avoid sores and infection.
          sigpic
          Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
          Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
          www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

I personally would leave them down for a day if they are bleeding (or until they scab up.) When you do tape them back up, is there a way to leave the sore spots open/uncovered so they can get air? I wouldn't put the tape directly on the sore spots because when you take that tape back off it is going to pull that sore spot again. Like Karen, get some kind of adhesive remover too, that helps with the pulling.

I also would make her sit there and let you touch her ears. She is going to have to get used to it.
            ~Amy~

Comment

Originally posted by Izabellsmommy View Post
              The breeder lives 4 hrs away, she did show me how to tape them back up and she drew instructions. I think Izabell pushes me around to see what she can get away with, she has even forgot her leash manners. I didn't give up taking the tape off, I kept holding her and told her she was ok. I was worried though that it was hurting, since it was removing fur and skin.
              About the squirming...it does sound like she's hurting from the pulling of skin and hair. But to stop Scarlett's squirmies, I started getting into her crate with her and taping her in there. Worked well for us, and she would settle down right away.
              Katie & Scarlett
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlett's Mum View Post
                About the squirming...it does sound like she's hurting from the pulling of skin and hair. But to stop Scarlett's squirmies, I started getting into her crate with her and taping her in there. Worked well for us, and she would settle down right away.
                LOL, only with a dane would this be possible! I also make sure that Leroy is completely pooped before retaping them. Leroy likes to squirm a bit too, but I've started to teach him "settle" to get him to chill out. (If he would squirm while holding him I would say "settle" in a very calm, soothing voice and the second he stopped I would release him. I did this before I tried it while taping). If you can, get someone to hold her (cuddle her more like it) while you tape - if you can't, tie her to something heavy so she can't run away.

As for the length you kept them up, I do them every weekend, unless they get really wet. Leroy had sore spots in the beginning too and his ears are just really sensitive. When I tape his ears back up I use a lot of the gold bond powder and it has done wonders for us. Breeder agreed with me that it was a wise idea with him. And for her squealing about you touching her ears, when you don't have to tape, take yummy treats, touch her ears, get all excited and load her up with treats (only if she doesn't squeal). Repeat until she stops caring.

Comment

Thanks, for all the help. I thought that leaving them up for 2wks at a time was a bit too long, but, my breeder said she's done it like that for yrs. I will be doing them every weekend, from now on. I will be retaping in a few minutes, waiting on hubby to hold her. Her ears look a lot better, they've been down since about 10pm last night. The breeder never told me about adhesive remover, where can I find it?Wish me luck!
                  sigpic

I'm going to get you!!

Comment

I just started a new thread with pictures of a product that would help you. Maybe I just didn't title it well, but this stuff actually puts a barrier between your dog's sore ear leather and the tape, yet holds well.
                    sigpic

Comment

You can buy adhesive remover on Ebay or other online sites or have your local pharmacy order it for you. Mine doesn't charge shipping and will have it in the store the next business day!
                      sigpic
                      Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
                      Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
                      www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

I did it! Izabell was very well behaved today. My hubby held her on his lap and baby talked to her and we were done in no time. She didn't cry at all and only tried to get away twice but once she realized I wasn't letting up she sat there. I will be finding some adhesive remover for next weekend. I also think I found something else that might work better then the tape the breeder gave me. I found it on KV Vets, sticks to itself not fur or skin. I ordered a couple rolls(only 1.29 a roll) to try out. I'll let you know if it works, if not may need to find a place to order that Surgi-last stockinette from, looked around but not finding it, found something think might be it but not sure from pics or descriptions.
                        Last edited by Izabellsmommy; 07-24-2009, 09:03 PM.
                        sigpic

I'm going to get you!!

Comment

Working...
                        X