I'm so undecided...help please?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm so undecided...help please?

We're going to pick up our first ever Great Dane puppy on Sunday. He's a blue male, and he'll be 8 weeks old when we get him. I'm so excited!

Anyway, I've been doing so much research (first on what breed to get, then finding a breeder and getting on a waiting list, then getting everything ready here for our new arrival), and yet I somehow failed to realize that I needed to make a decision about his ear cropping quite so soon. I don't know what I was thinking, but for some reason I had it in my head that it was done later...but when I called my vet yesterday to make his first appointment, they asked if I had made a decision about ear cropping because they usually do it before 12 weeks.

So...um...I just don't know what I want to do. I'm not morally opposed to doing it, so that's not a factor in my decision. I guess I just can't decide which look I like better. Any sites you recommend for good pictures? Anything else I need to know about the pros/cons?

I'm feeling pretty stressed about this...I don't know how I overlooked it, but I really thought I had more time to make this decision, and now I just don't know what to do.
    Stacy...and her boys!
    Keith (the husband), Avery (the son), and Derby (the Dane)...oh, and our goldfish Sushi and Sake.

sigpic

Unless you have a very experienced Dane ear cropper and help taping, I would recommend going natural.

Bev
    Bev
    Foto Danes

Ch Payaso Flighty Star Alliance RN CGC CHIC
    sigpic

Comment

Are you going to show this puppy?
      Most people only crop their show dogs. Some people crop everything. Some people crop nothing. You'll get as many answers as their are Dane owners. I think most of the people would agree that if you are only getting a pet and don't care either way, don't crop.

Cropping takes a lot of work.

We didn't crop ours because we like the feel of the natural ear. I like walking him and petting his ears.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bev_K View Post
        Unless you have a very experienced Dane ear cropper and help taping, I would recommend going natural.

Bev
        Agreed. If you want to crop, ask your breeder who her vet is and ask her to show you how to tape and care for the ears.

Ears are generally cropped before 10 weeks.

I originally wanted natural ears but ended up getting an already-cropped pup. I LOVE the look and am glad that she is cropped. But it is a personal decision that I would research and discuss with my breeder first. It is a lot of work, but very rewarding, too.
        Katie & Scarlett
        sigpic

Comment

Also you can go to the photo gallery archives on the homepage. and look through them if you are still trying to decide.
          Kendall

Comment

I noticed that you will be getting a blue dane (my personal favorite) I have attached a picture of my boy who is cropped and one of his brother who is not cropped so that you can see the difference. (I hope JessicaS doesn't mind but, she has posted this picture before and he is gorgeous~) What BevK said is right unless you have a very experienced vet who crops on a regular basis and to have an experienced person that is available to tape for you or show you how to tape properly. It is a long process to be doing.

My boy Festus

His big brother Slate
            sigpic

Comment

I agree with Bev. FWIW, I prefer blues natural eared, not that my opinon matters much. Just if you do decide to crop, make sure you go into it knowing the amount of time and energy you will have to put into it.
              sigpic
              In Memory of Sky, EZ and Honor

Visit Poke's Facebook Page

Member of the GDC of MD.
              Well behaved danes are not born. They are “made” by responsible and caring dane owners.

Comment

Nope, don't mind at all Kate! Cool to see our handsome boys side by side in the same post! I decided not to crop for a couple of reasons. Although I love the cropped look (my first dane was cropped), no dane savvy vets within an hour and a half of here. Also, the largest factor was the fact that I have a 2 year old son and didn't think it would be fair to the puppy. I imagined my son grabbing and tugging at the brace between the ears and made the decision to go with natural ears. Glad we did, Slate's ears are so soft and silky and he looks great!
                ~Jessica

sigpic
                Victory's Dynasty An Affinity for Blue "Slate"

Comment

Oh wow, thanks for the pics! However, I'm not sure how much help they are, since both dogs are just gorgeous! LOL!

I'm really on the fence about this. I kind of think I prefer the natural look a little more, while my husband prefers cropped ears. We do have a wonderful vet who has many years of experience with ear cropping (specifically with Great Danes) and even has a Dane himself, so I think we would be in good shape if we decide to go through with it. I'm just so undecided.

But I guess I have at least a few more days to think about it. I really appreciate everyone's input!

Oh, and for those who asked, we don't plan to show or breed. Our boy will be strictly a companion (although I would love to do some obedience or agility work in the future).
                  Last edited by JoyNChrist; 04-29-2009, 08:57 AM.
                  Stacy...and her boys!
                  Keith (the husband), Avery (the son), and Derby (the Dane)...oh, and our goldfish Sushi and Sake.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica S. View Post
                    I decided not to crop for a couple of reasons. Although I love the cropped look (my first dane was cropped), no dane savvy vets within an hour and a half of here. Also, the largest factor was the fact that I have a 2 year old son and didn't think it would be fair to the puppy. I imagined my son grabbing and tugging at the brace between the ears and made the decision to go with natural ears.
                    This is a great point. I have a two-year-old son as well, so that might be a deciding factor. (Your boy is gorgeous, by the way. Wow!)
                    Stacy...and her boys!

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Stacy!!! And I'm so excited for you, can't wait to see pics of your boy!
                      ~Jessica

sigpic
                      Victory's Dynasty An Affinity for Blue "Slate"

Comment

I had my male cropped and taping is ALOT of work. Some vets (if you find one that will do a crop) wont touch a puppies ears that have been cropped while they are healing, if you can't make it back to the vet that did the crop. You'll have to go back for a few visits (weeks) for them to do the taping as they are healing the stitches etc, to make sure the ears dont get infected. They can get rot too. You have to make sure the edges aren't covered, so air can get at it etc etc. I continued after this doing the taping myself, after being showed how to do it.

If you're still thinking about cropping, do some googling about the after care. Its ALOT of work, alot of patience on your part and your dogs. Dont forget you'll probably be taping for a few months to a year, and you'll have to have someone hold the pup while you do the taping (which can get a bit more difficult as the pup grows!

I dunno thats my experience, I could be wrong though.

Comment

Bambi is and uncropped Blue female and my first Dane... I did not have a choice in the matter.. My Dh brought her home at 12 weeks and it was already to late to have it done even if I wanted to... With that being said my DH feels that only Males{of any breed that is regularly cropped} should be done.. His reasoning is that Cropping a female gives it that Masculine look... Something he does not approve of.... He feels that males should look like males and females like females. Personally I see no difference and although I like the cropped look I prefer natural {unless they are show prospects}... Anyhoo, in order to keep the peace we have decided that we will make the decision to crop on a case by case basis...
                          Teresa n
                          sigpic

Comment

I think cropped Danes are elegant and proud looking. Natural ears tend to look a little more curious & somewhat goofy. I prefer the goofy. It’s a personal preference.
                            sigpic
                            What Tucker's up to now: http://greatdanetucker.blogspot.com/

Comment

it truely is a matter of what you want. we went with the natural look because my daughters (7 and 9) asked if i would like to have that procedure done to my ears , they won out...but the cropped ears really do make the dog look regal. good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X