Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cropped Ears need some help

hi all!
    i live in the reading , pa area and i was wondering if anyone knows or has any info on where i could go to get my girls ears "retaped" i need something not ivasive and gentle, she still has her "bells" on the bottom and they are strong, but i used tampons tonight with soft medical tape and my girl is so uncomfortable, (i would be too_)
    i have had some suggestions how to do it, and made sure the tape isn't too tight, i'd rather just pay someone that knows what they are doing! let me know if you have any info! thanks so much!!!

impatiently waiting,
    Eric and Zoe Jane

RE: Cropped Ears need some help

If you dont find someone I have a page with a ton of link on taping with lots of ways to do it and pics ect...Brendas link is on their with pics also http://xceldanes.com/Ear_Taping.htm theirs 13 differant links and various ways.

http://www.xceldanes.com/CIMG3820.JPG
    Lisa Mcintosh
    http://xceldanes.com/index.html
    sigpicLisa
    www.xceldanes.com

Comment

Contact the Pennsylvania Great Dane club closest to you. The clubs are listed on DOL.

Good luck.

mp

Comment

RE: Cropped Ears, OH NO!!!!

HELP ME! I JUST TOOK THE TAPES OFF AND AS I WAS DOING IT ZOE STARTED SCREAMING! IT TOOK 4 TREATS AND ME HOLDING HER DOWN TO GET IT OFF! NOW HER LITTLE EARS ARE ALL RED INSIDE AND IRRITATED AND SHE KEEPS SHAKING HER HEAD AND WHEN SHE GOES TO SCRATCH IT SHE CRIES! I THINK THAT WHEN I WAS TAKING THEM OFF SHE TUGGED SO HARD THAT THE APPLICATOR COVERED IN TAPE CUT THE INSIDES OF HER EARS! NOW SHE WONT LET ME TOUCH THEM! WHAT DO I DO??? THE TAMPONS WERE ONLY IN THERE SINCE TUESDAY AT 10 SO IT HAS ONLY BEEN 48 HOURS, JUST LET THEM HEAL? THERE NO BLOOD, JUST REDDNESS LIKE A RUG BURN! OH MY LIL GIRL

I FEEL SO BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ERIC

Comment

Goldbond medicated powder soothes and stops itchies.If no sores or gooies tape back up.Mine stays up 2-3 weeks at a time sometimes more.Do you have someone to hold her why you tape??Also did someone local crop or is your breeder close??

Lisa Mcintosh
          sigpicLisa
          www.xceldanes.com

Comment

Are you using adhesive remover?

Tape comes off a lot easier if the ears are left taped for at
            least a week. Frequent removal is more irritating.

Comment

THERE ARE BOOGIES AND SORES IN THERE, I THINK SHE HAS FORGIVEN ME AND NO CRIES AS OF THIS MORNING, HER EARS LOOKS REALLY GOOD ON A POSITIVE NOTE, MY BREEDER IS 2.5 HOURS AWAY I AM CONSIDERING A BREEDER THAT I WAS GOING TO BUY A PUP FROM BUT BACKED OUT WHEN I FOUND ZOE, ANY SUGGESTIONS? I WAS TRYING TO TAPE AND REMOVE BY MYSELF, IT'S JUST ME AND ZOE HERE!

WWW.ERICANDZOE.ZOOMSHARE.COM

Comment

What did you use to take the tape off?

Doesn't your breeder have a referral for you in your area?

mp

Comment

MY BREEDER IS TRYING TO HELP ME
                  I HAVE TRIED TO FIND A CLUB IN PA BUT NON EXIST ANYMORE OTHER THAND THE ONE 4 HOURS AWAY! HER EARS ARE ACTUALLY HEALED AND SHE LETS ME TOUCH EM AND EVEN PET ME USE EAR EWASH ON THEM! SORE AND GOO ARE PRETY MUCH GONE TOO!! I DID USE A ADHESIVE AND I SPOKE TO MY VET LAST NIGHT AND HE IS GONNA PUT HER EARS UP WITH MOLE SKIN, I GUESS IT IS A REALLY GOOD WAY? I HOPE SO, HE IS CHARGING ME 200 BUCKS TO DO IT! MONEY'S NO ISSUE THOUGH AS A LONG AS I DONT HAVE TO HEAR THOSE WHELING CRY'S!

THAKNS FOR YOUR HELP!

Comment

$200 to put her ears in moleskin?!?! Why so much? You can buy moleskin at any grocery/drug store and tape the ears yourself.

Nik and crew

Comment

$200 to put up with mole skin OMG theirs a link in the link page I posted shows you how to do mole skin and you can buy it at drug store or wal mart.Im looking for an old friends contact info because they used to crop pups in Pa at very good and reasonable vet.(just not sure where because Im unfamilar with Pa)I hate to see someone needing help taken advantage of.Ill ask on another list if anyone can help you close.
                      Edited to say I dont even pay $200 to have the ears cropped

Lisa Mcintosh
                      sigpicLisa
                      www.xceldanes.com

Comment

Is the $200 for one taping? (If so, the fee is ridiculous.)

Or is it for the entire taping process with guaranteed results?

If so, the price is still a little high, but he will of course be able to provide you with photos of the other Great Danes and Dobies whose ears he has taped over the years. (Yes, the sarcasm is intentional!)

Four plus years ago I paid $12.50 per taping for a vet to tape my boy's ears. A local Dobie breeder also helped tape my "Baby's" ears, so I ended up paying for three vet's tapings and a nice thank-you present for the Dobie breeder.

I suggest you call/email the closest Great Dane club because clubs can often refer you to breeders IN YOUR AREA who might be willing to help you tape out of the goodness of their hearts or for a modest fee. It doesn't make any difference how many hours away the clubs are; Dane world is a small world and the call may produce results. Also try your closest all-breed club. They may have an appropriate referral for you.

And speaking of CAPITAL LETTERS, in emails, all caps mean SHOUTING. It's a lot easier to read your posts when you use lower case letters with appropriate capitalization. Although I realize how frustrating this whole ear thing is! (VBG)

I know you use adhesive. My question is: What adhesive REMOVER to you use? You posted earlier that removing the tapes caused soreness and I wondered what adhesive remover you use.

Here is a DOL link to a taping method to use when the bells are up. (Please excuse me if I've posted this already.)

http://www.danesonline.com/dc/dcboar...ng_type=search

Although several methods are discussed in this DOL thread, I recommend the method posted by Sandy (witzn). The photos are a big help, too.

As mentioned in the link, moleskin and molefoam can be purchased by the running foot at some medical supply stores. Skin Bond adhesive and Detachol adhesive remover, which are basically colestomy supplies, also are purchased at medical supply stores. You have to call around, though, to make sure they have it.

mp

Comment

5 years ago I paid $5 a taping but costed more than that to drive to town twice a week.I finaly got over my nerves and started taping myself and I was scared of screwing them up at first then realized how quick and easy it was without nerves.

Lisa Mcintosh
                          sigpicLisa
                          www.xceldanes.com

Comment

Sorry about the caps! It's my bad habit. at work i have to type in caps, so it's hard to break the habit. i'm not yelling by all means, lol! :P

ok so i am gettin ripped off?? i figured. i am calling the clubs today to see what i can find. The vet want me to bring it whatever supplies i want to use, and he did have some pics to show me. i need a new vet. i posted about him earlier. The great news is on a walk with zoe yesterday i ran into a lady with a english bull dog! He was cute! anywhoo Her neighbor has a dane in my development and we might schedule a playdate! i am so excited to find another dane owner in the area! However, if one more person tells me i should have bought a horse instead of a dane on my walks, i'm gonna flip! i know, i was warned by my breeder when i bought her! I get a laugh evertime cause i know she's the most beautiful dog around here! Danes are the bomb! thanks for the input all!

Comment

there are a lot of different ways to tape a danes ears after cropping

one big problem.......my dane i found out is alergic to 90% of most of the methods and amterials used, and we almoxst lost his ears.

my vet is a very old man, that believes in very natural ways,

take gause, rool it up to make a tube out of it, stick it in his ear, then use CLOTH tape.

almost all danes i have read have a reaction to waterproof tape, and it sounds to me thats whats happening.

others say use vet wrap....but the ear has to breathe...and if ya stick a piece of vet wrap in front of your mouth and try blowing through it, youll see it dosent allow a lot of air to pass through, also its made of latex, which some humans, and dogs are alergic to.

IMO, try to say away from any rubber, latex appliances as illistrated in most of the cropping threads...the dog cant exactually say, "hey im alergic to this"

also dont do what most say by keeping them on for a full week, go 2 days on , 1 day off......rememebr, this is living tissue, it needs somthing soft, so it dosent irritate the ear, and it needs to breathe.

a week is a long time for infection to start....trust me, i am dealing with all this from a hillbilly butcher-of-a vet that cropped my danes ears, from the breeder, before i got him.....

after about a month , they are healed, and almost up!

Comment

Working...
                              X