• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newdane
    started a topic Recomended Vets in Florida to Crop my pup

Recomended Vets in Florida to Crop my pup

Hello, My name is Curry

This past weekend I picked out my pup from the rest of her litter, I want to get her ears cropped but don't know who to go to. I like the look of the cropped ears but if I cant find a reputable vet then Ill just leave her natural. My breeder just recently moved into the area, and she dosent crop her dogs. My new baby is 4 weeks old, and ill be picking her up when she is eight weeks old, I figure if I havent found someone by the time I take her home I am going to pass on the operation. So if you can help me I'll be very very thankful.

Thanks for your time
    Curry

• HarlLady
    replied
    RE: Recomended Vets in Florida to Crop my pup

We are in Hollywood, Florida and there are some very good Vets that do ear cropping/taping.

Emerald Hills Animal Hospital on Sheridan Street (954-983-2300)
    Hollywood Animal Hospital on Hollywood Boulevard (954-920-4115)

We had our harlequin female cropped when she was about 10-12 weeks old. She was cropped at Hillwood Animal Hospital, also on Hollywood Boulevard (however the doctor that did the cropping has since retired), and we had her weekly tapings done at Emerald Hills Animal Hospital. Her ears are beautiful and were standing prior to her turning 6 months of age.

:-) :-)

Leave a comment:

• mp
    replied

In that case, please be sure to discuss with the vet that your puppy is from foreign bloodlines that probably have never been cropped and you don't know the surgical histories in the pedigree.

You have no history of how these dogs react to anesthesia or how fast they clot.

Another consideration is the size, shape, and set of the ears.

Some European lines have bred small, high-set ears for generations. Others have large, hound-like ears.

Photo pedigrees or pictures from the breeder can help you evaluate these factors.

I'm curious as to why you didn't go with one of the established breeders in Southern Florida.

mp

Leave a comment:

• newdane
    replied

Thanks for the info, I definetly look into that. Thats a drive worth taking in order to make sure it is done correctly

Leave a comment:

• Donna
    replied

There is a vet in the Palm Beach area who I understand crops a lot of danes. I have seen some of the danes he has done at the Ft. Myers dog show, but I'm sorry, I don't know his name.

Leave a comment:

• newdane
    replied

I live down in Miami, traveling to ensure that the job is done nicely is no problem, if your happy with the crop on your dog I would definetly appreciate it if you could get your vets info for me.

thanks
    Curry

Leave a comment:

• Brindle baby
    replied

I have a pup that I got from a breeder in Florida and the crop is wonderful, but Florida is a big state. Where are you located and are you willing to travel for the crop? I will find out the name of the vet and where they are located and PM you.

Meg

Leave a comment:

• newdane
    replied

I still havent decided wether I am or not, I want to have someone checked out incase I do decided to have it done, so I dont rush to find a vet, and end up with a bad job

Leave a comment:

• newdane
    replied

Thanks for your help, I will contact them. I am finding that taping will be a very large chore, thus I am still weighing in all my options, i just want to make sure i have everything decided before i get the pup so I dont rush to get things done, and end up messing her ears up.

Leave a comment:

• newdane
    replied

As far as I know, all of the dogs in her pedigree are natural, all bloodlines are German, she her self is moving to the states a few years ago, and say that this isnt done to the dogs over there.

Leave a comment:

• lovebluedanes
    replied

Why not follow your breeder's lead and leave the ears natural? There is no physical reason to have them cropped (especially if it's not a show dog).

Leave a comment:

• XcelDanes
    replied

Locate your local dane club and maybe they can refer you to good vet somewhere in the area.But get referances of the vet and look at his work.Botched job is awful.Also you may already no but may not that aftercare and taping is a HUGE commitment you may only tape few months you may be taping over a year and must be consistant.

Lisa Mcintosh
    http://xceldanes.com/index.html

Leave a comment:

• mp
    replied

Is the sire cropped? And how many generations back on both sides of the pedigree are uncropped?

Thanks.

mp

Leave a comment:

Working...
X