Please clear up my confusion about taping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please clear up my confusion about taping

First, let me say I know of NO other cropped Danes ANYWHERE in my vicinity and my breeder is several states away.

I have bookmarked several websites showing how to tape. I am confused about where to put either the popsicle stick or the foam.

If using the popsicle stick, the stick goes above the bump and a pillow is made which goes down into the ear canal. I understand that ~ sort of a best of two worlds scenario?

I have bookmarked 2 of the websites showing taping ears with the foam insulation. One of them has me place the foam directly above the bump in the ear. The other has me tapering the foam and placing it down into the ear itself. Which do I do?

Last question ~ when looking at the dog face forward, should his ears lie flat against his head or should the ears curve in a little? Using the popsicle stick, the ears will be trained to lie flat. With the foam, they will be trained to curve in a little. Which way is correct?

Thank you for all your help!

RE: Please clear up my confusion about taping

>I have bookmarked 2 of the websites showing taping ears with
    >the foam insulation. One of them has me place the foam
    >directly above the bump in the ear. The other has me
    >tapering the foam and placing it down into the ear itself.
    >Which do I do?

You can do either one. I think they're both effective.

>Last question ~ when looking at the dog face forward, should
    >his ears lie flat against his head or should the ears curve
    >in a little? Using the popsicle stick, the ears will be
    >trained to lie flat. With the foam, they will be trained to
    >curve in a little. Which way is correct?

Well, Jade's were flat, and I think that really screwed things up, as she's 14 months old and has the floppiest tips on earth. The next pup I have, I will be sure that the ears (tips especially) curve around whatever I use to post.

Best of luck!
    Jill

~ Jill

Comment

Tess, did you get a new baby??
      Congrats!

Comment

Yes, Ali, I have a new baby ~ a 3 1/2 month black male. He is a very happy, friendly little monster, and I love him dearly!

Thank you, Jill, for your response. I think I want to try the foam. Can you tell me what would be the advantage to pushing it down into the ear? I always thought doing that or adding the pillow to the stick would help the ear stand straight. I haven't tried taping with the stick or foam above the bump because I've been scared that the ear wouldn't stand straight and I really don't want to put Sooner (or myself!) through having to remove the tape and start over again.

Comment

Tess, I put the foam all the way down for stability, but I know others (Carolyn, for example) puts it on the bump, and her pups' ears stand wonderfully, too. As I said, I think either one will be fine.

Good luck!
          Post a picture of your baby! I want a black next.

Jill
          ~ Jill

Comment

Awww, congrats! I missed that somehow. Where are the pics? :7

Comment

http://just4fun-recreation.com/2.jpg

PHOTOS: http://just4fun-recreation.com/just4fun_014.htm

Hi Tess. Place the foam all the in the bell of the ear. If you just place it at the bump the ears will want to fold in or drop outward. Check out my web page it may help.

Here is the link http://just4fun-recreation.com/just4fun_013.htm

Comment

Working...
              X