Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Crop vs. Drop - Benefits?

Hi Rachel,

I see it that way too. If God had intended for those ears to stand they'd be standing. :*
    Danes are hounds (God knows what they are doing in the working group anyways.......), and they should look as such.
    I would never put my pups through the trauma of cropping and risk losing one just because people think it "looks good". ;8 ;8

Oh well - at least in Europe they banned it now. That's a step in the right direction.

Comment

I have had cropped and un-cropped dogs. I have to say that in my experience I have always had the non-cropped dogs (rottweiler, labrador) come up with ear infections at one time or another. I have never had a cropped/natural dog (doberman, german shepherd, great dane) ome up with one. All breeds were cared for in the same manner with routine ear cleanings.

I have no idea why this was always the case, but it was.

~ Dina and Cooper

Watch Cooper grow up! http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290313725

http://www.gdohosting.com/dolforum/d...1004-thumb.JPG

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." ~ Unknown

Comment

Hi there,

I have two floppy eared dogs and one cropped one, and none of them has had any trouble with their ears. I wipe them once a week with a water/vinegar mix and they've been fine.
        I never had to mess with taping ears but I sure wouldn't want to either.
        I'm all for leaving animals the way nature intended them to be. Why let them suffer? Just my humble opinion.....

Comment

Was this comment for me Sabine?

~ Dina and Cooper

Watch Cooper grow up! http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290313725

http://www.gdohosting.com/dolforum/d...1004-thumb.JPG

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." ~ Unknown

Comment

<Why let them suffer?

They don't "suffer". Why do you think they "suffer"??

Comment

Jodie, there can be no argument that there is pain involved in the removal of a large section of ear tissue and in the subsequent healing process.

Comment

>Was this comment for me Sabine?
                >
                > ~ Dina and Cooper
                >
                oops - no. I was just trying to post my experiences. :-) Nothing personal.

To come back to that suffering part: I've seen those taped up puppies playing and squealing when they got their ears caught somewhere. That can't be fun.
                Anyways.... it's just not for me that cropping business.
                It's up to the breeders to start the floppy-ear trend. Only if there are more floppy-danes at shows will it become a more familiar sight and people will get used to the look. :*

I just noticed on my last trip to Europe that Boxers with tails and floppy ears are actually quite cute..... same goes for any other "unaltered" breed.
                ......and Danes...... well, they just look absolutely loveable with that droopy look. :+ :* :7

Comment

*Sigh*

My Dane is cropped. He did fabulous as a pup and never whined or exhibited any discomfort. It's completely a personal choice. Did I feel a twinge of remorse having his very adorable floppy ears cropped? Yes. I got over it and have a beautiful show dog.

Here is what I don't care for in the least. Other people trying to influence a breeding tradition that has been in place for hundreds of years. Whatever pros and cons there are to cropping, they are so negligible that it really comes down to a cosmetic choice.

On a tangent, I'm a circumcised male. Anyone, who has children and has been in the delivery room bore witness to your infants cries as he underwent the procedure. Yet, that's different? I don't think so. The medical benefit is not an excuse either. European men have been doing quite fine without the procedure thank you! After all, shouldn't we leave men as God created them? Hmmm?

Where do each of you stand on the issue of abortion? I find it interesting that there is a grass roots movement to put a stop to ear cropping dogs when it's still perfectly legal and accepted to terminate the life of an unwanted child.

I'm not trying to start the debate on this thread all over again. However, I will always crop my Danes. Guess why? Because of the growing anti-crop sentiment. I had considered leaving my upcoming bitch uncropped so I could have one of each. I never had a poignant stance one way or the other. Now I do. To each their own.

Parts of my post are directed to different readers. Please utilize common sense when reviewing my opinion. It's not directed to everyone on one side or the other of the debate. However, I believe it places things in perspective. Besides, your could use the same argument as abortion. If you outlaw either procedure, people will still have it done elsewhere. Until the AKC changes their policy, there never will be a permanent change. I, for one, hope the AKC remains firm in honoring the traditions of the past. To be quite frank, I believe those of us that crop are on the losing side of the coin. The average dog lover instinctively does not feel comfortable with cropping. The more people that show uncropped Danes in the AKC and win, the more change will be effected. I just wish I wasn't going to be there to see itx(

Comment

I would understand cropping if the dogs were used as they were generations ago. It was done for a reason.

These days there is no reason to do it as far as I can see.

My boy has huge, great, floppy ears like pieces of black velvet and I love them. I've never had any problems with them at all and they dont smell. I clean them once a month as I use Thornit powder in his ears.

Personally I think whether you crop or dont is up to the individual - I like both but in UK its illegal.

Comment

I have both cropped and natural Danes here. My personal prefrence is for the cropped look, but I can certainly appreciate natural ears I don't think either one is more prone to dirty ears than the other.

I do have one problem with my natural eared boy. We got him from rescue at 9mths old. His ears don't lay properly and he has a funny crease in one of them. On the inside of his ear, where the crease is, he almost always has a slightly red irritated spot. It flares up enough that it needs to be treated about every 3-4wks. I just use neosporin + pain relief on it for a couple of days and that helps.

I certainly don't think this is a common problem with natural eared Danes, but if I ever had a puppy I was going to leave natural I'd consider taping the ears if necessary to make them lay properly. Rachel has a method for this on her webpage http://www.6stardanes.com/ears.html

Cindy

Comment

With the snow we've been getting lately here it reminded me.
                        Actually it was Roku who reminded me... that when snow is really coming down no matter how he pulls his cropped ears back that snow flakes still gets in his ears and he doesn't like it.
                        Rachel C. of Sixstar Danes
                        Click here to see our Youtube videos.
                        Feeding raw since Dec 2000

Comment

I agree completely with Lisa and Khan.

There's no reason to do it now. It's unnecessary surgery and I don't know about you but I don't want unnecessary surgery and I doubt my natural eared Dane does either.

for those who want an extreme anti-cropping view here's a website I found when looking for a list of dogs whose ears are cropped:

http://www.stopthecrops.com

Comment

Working...
                          X