Crop vs. Drop - Benefits?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crop vs. Drop - Benefits?

I know that this is a hot Dane topic, so I'm not here to debate. It frazzles the mods. :P Here goes...

Anyone find any benefits to having a cropped or drop-eared dane? Are there any differences between the two? Are your cropped danes ear-shy? Do your uncropped sweeties get more ear problems? Any have a higher instance of hematomas? Mites more prevalent in either?

I personally like the sweet almost-mastiffy look of a drop-eared love, but some look better in a well-done crop. :9 I'm trying to make a decision on whether to crop in the future. Thanks!

RE: Crop vs. Drop - Benefits?

No difference. It's only cosmetic.
    Mandi

Comment

I'm a fan of floppies, show dogs or not.

Some will say your chances of doing well in the ring are better with a crop. This could be true, but to me it's not a compelling argument. More natural eared danes are finishing in the US now more than ever.

Hematomas are admittedly more common in drop-eared dogs due to the extra skin and the "whip" effect when they shake their heads. Though IME they are relatively rare. I've never dealt with one firsthand.

I don't believe infection is more common in drop-ears. Air circulation may not be as good- but in cropped dogs, debris has a better chance of making its way inside.

I couldn't mess with a dane's lovely natural ears if someone paid me. My girl is almost 2, and has big veins running through parts of the ear that would not be there had she been cropped. They are great acupressure points that I can touch to soothe her. Were she cropped- well, you know where I'm going with this. JMO~

Comment

I have one dane (Ebony) who is natural (drop) eared and my 16 week old who is cropped. I never had problems with Ebony's ears either infections or hematoma's.
        Cruise who has his ears cropped isn't head or ear shy, he is pretty good for taping, once he figures out he isn't getting away with being only partially taped, he settles down and when we untape to let his ears rest, he loves them being massaged.
        I know everyone has their own opinion and I'm sure you will find that out on this forum. But for me, I like the velvety floppy ears and the cropped look so I now have one of each!!

Comment

I run into people here in Florida who have trouble with ear mites with uncropped Danes. They may not be folks who clean their dogs' ears every day, though! (And for many in hot, humid climates, that what it takes.)

My boy is occasionally ear shy. When his ears were taped, he was a little ear shy at times. As an adult, he gets ear shy if he has some dirt his ears. His father was a little ear shy under these circumstances, so of course it's hereditary! It was never an ongoing thing, though.

mp

Comment

I prefer crop for both looks and health. Mira is cropped, Simon is natural, and Apollo is crop flop (he was like this when I got him) Mira is not ear shy, never any problems with her ears at all. Simon on the other hand develped a cut in the tip of his ear that would not heal. I tried everything even the suggestions that people offered on here. My vet wrapped it over his head, didnt help at all. After months of fighting this ear, I decided to have surgery to have the tip removed. Now his ear is healed and no more blood!!! Simon was in so much pain with his ear. He would whine and cry if I got near it. I felt so bad for him that is why I decided to have surgery done. Mira was not in near the pain Simon was. From now on I will only crop for this reason. So IMO there are benefits to having crop vs flop.
            Angie, proud mama to 1 Great Dane, Mira and 3 mixes, 1 cat, 3 snakes and fish...also mama to 3 y/o identical twin girls

Comment

None of mine are ear shy, and all of them are cropped. We do notice that the mastiff (uncropped, of course) gets dirty ears more frequently than the cropped danes. Both of our boys actually seemed to like the ear taping time, they would lay with their head in my lap while I taped. When the older guys ears were standing, but the baby's ears still needed to be taped, he would come lay next to me with his head in my lap after the pup's ears got taped, and I would rub his ears. I think I baby talk a lot while I tape, and they are both suckers for baby talk.
              Cari

Comment

My Dane's ears are floppy, and I think that the argument about health benefits is a little weak. Would you ask yourself this same question if you were the owner of a Lab, Golden Retriever, Beagle, etc.? No, you wouldn't. Cropping is done for cosmetic purposes, to achieve "the look". It's the same reason several breeds have their tails docked, which for the record I don't like either. If they aren't born looking like a freak of nature like my pugs, I see no reason for a dog to go "under the knife" to change their appearance.
                My best boy, Trooper.
                sigpic

Comment

I don't know if the benefits have proved themselves really. Personally I prefer un-cropped ears. I think they look better then cropped. And here in Australia you don't see many Danes who actually have cropped ears. People don't even think twice about entering their Dane in a show based on its ears. The breeder I got my Dane from doesn't have any of her dogs ears cropped (about 9 in all) and most of them have reached the title of Autralian Grand Champion. So my baby is staying how she is

Comment

I have always had my dogs' ears cropped and to be honest I can't say that I see a single health benefit. I admit it is purely cosmetic. I like the look of a cropped dane, although I am beginning to like the look of an uncropped dane. A beautiful dog, is a beautiful dog. One benefit of not cropping is you save yourself some $$$! I tell people that if you've never taped ears before and you are not willing to commit yourself to learning how to tape the ears then don't put yourself or the dog through the procedure. What a waste. IMO nothing looks worse than ears that fail to stand.

However, I now know that there can be taping involved for uncropped dogs that are shown, in order to get the proper ear set. I just think the method might be a little less complicated.

Comment

The vet that *would have* been my choice for cropping said "if you think the natural eared dog looks stupid, you haven't seen a cropped dog whose ears failed to stand properly. That looks REALLY stupid".

I was really pro-crop and for a long time thought that if I wasn't going to crop the ears, why bother owning the dog? I honestly got used to it, and now I prefer the natural look - and I'm a pretty hard sell.
                      My best boy, Trooper.
                      sigpic

Comment

>Anyone find any benefits to having a cropped or drop-eared
                        >dane?

Yes. My Dane has never experienced the pain of being cropped or the pain while healing. I spent the first year of his life training him, playing with him, and not taping and retaping ears.

Are there any differences between the two? Are your
                        >cropped danes ear-shy? Do your uncropped sweeties get more
                        >ear problems? Any have a higher instance of hematomas? Mites
                        >more prevalent in either?

Well I don't really know many cropped Danes but mine and his friend (both natural ears) love to have their ears rubbed or we make a game out of 'getting' ears. They even nip and pull at each other's (gently) in play. I love the way the flop around when they run and how soft they are. I prefer the natural look. No unusual ear infections or hematomas. Never had mites.
                        >

Comment

why i have cropped my baby's ear?

1.I figured out the cropped ears has no funny smell no more and much much cleaner than uncropped ears.

2.cropped ears will enhance his hearing ability.this very important for a watch dog.

3.nature ears will be eaiser to tear up by other bad dog in unexpected dog fighting.

4.in fact, cropped ears suit this breed very much and looks great!

Comment

Hi there,

this is a very hot topic in every European forum I've come across.
                            As you probably all know: Every dog born in most parts of Europe after 1998 is not allowed to be cropped or docked anymore. This is the new (and improved!!!) animal protection law there. Therefore: Dogs that are cropped or docked can not be shown anymore.
                            Cropping and docking is considered a mutilation of the animal and was therefore banned.
                            I don't want to critizise anyone for cropping or docking (my dane is cropped too - wasn't my choice, but he's cropped.), but why is it, that AKC does not start an anti-crop-and-dock campaign?
                            Does that mean that American dogs cannot participate at international dog-shows anymore?
                            Just a thought...........

Comment

"cropped ears will enhance his hearing ability.this very important for a watch dog."

Does this mean people who have long hair (that cover over their ears)
                              don't hear as well as people with short hair and the ears exposed??
                              :* :7

With our canine kids I've found the cropped ones get more of a dust debris in their ears than our natural ones.

We have yet to have infections or hematomas here
                              tho working at our vets I saw several a prick earred dog (cropped & naturally erect) with hematomas... often due to a result of Foxtails or ear infections.

While I admittedly like both looks I can't put our babies through an unneccessary surgery for vanity's sake.

Rachel C. of Sixstar Danes
                              Click here to see our Youtube videos.
                              Feeding raw since Dec 2000

Comment

Working...
                              X