HELP!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!!!

ok here is the short version, I got my Danes ears cropped and the vet put on one of the small metal braces that get glued to the inside of the ear, when he took them off 2 weeks later to remove the stitches he said the cartilage had formed good and that there was no reason to keep on the braces. The only problem with that is that his ears are folding inward toward his head, almost lying on top of his head. The vet told me that is wasn't a problem as long as they didn't fold forward or out away from the head and that if I keep messaging the ears that it will break up the cartilage, he also said that over time they will fall into place themselves. personally I don't think that they will they seem to get worse every day and the vet is no help because I never get to talk to him just some vet tech who I don't trust that keeps feeding me the same info. Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

RE: HELP!!!!

could he show you any great danes that had successful crops
    using those methods?

generally the goal is to ~not~ breakdown the cartilidge, as
    that's what gets them to stand.

Please try to find local help from either a vet with
    experience doing successful crops on danes (with at
    least photographic evidence) or a local person that has
    experience taping ears.

Hopefully the crop will still stand with good taping,
    but there is a possibility if the vet did it wrong that
    the dog could need to be recropped.

There are several books as well as several sites online
    that go into how to tape the ears - and the goal is a clean
    dry ear with no sores or wounds, taped to stand straight
    and tall.

How you tape is how they end up.

sandy
    http://web.mac.com/Witzn

Comment

Good God! (oops am I allowed to say that?) TAPE THOSE EARS!!!!!

If you don't tape them and properly not only will they always lie over the head but if they were to ever stand the pocketing that would happen would be so dramatic it would look awful!!

They need to be taped up and away from the head. They need to stay in tapes until they stand perfectly on their own (usually a good month + after they are healed fully from the crop). Find an experienced breeder in your area and get them to help you, it doesn't have to be a breeder of Danes, a dobi or boxer person could help you out just as easily!

Good Luck
      Michele

Comment

That is the craziest thing I have ever heard. Of course everyone knows that in order to get their ears to stand you have to tape. I would start taping and get a different vet.
        Angie, proud mama to 1 Great Dane, Mira and 3 mixes, 1 cat, 3 snakes and fish...also mama to 3 y/o identical twin girls

Comment

that's what i thought as well but my now X vet keeps telling me everything is fine, i will get them taped ASAP.

Comment

Working...
          X