ears cropped

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ears cropped

I have an 8 month old female mantle with her ears cropped. I have tried many things to get her ears to stand up. My first question is how long do I have before I am wasting my time? I have heard if there not up within a year they probably won't stand. I have tried the cork and stay method, tent-up (thumbs down), the hoytt system(alright), molefoam, and a couple other ones that other owners had told me that work for them. Maybe she might not have good catilage but I don't think so, her mother and fathers' ears were cropped and stood nicely. My second question is there anything I can do to train or possibly my last resort (I don't know if this is ethical or moral) have some sort of surgery. Someone told me they have heard of some people inserting some wire in the ears or doing something where they create scar tissue inside the ear to prop them up. Don't get me wrong, neither sound too friendly to do, I would totally want to find more out about it before signing up for that. I like the look of cropped ears but at the same time I do not want to make my dog uncomfortable becuase of what I like. Any suggestions on this matter I would appreciate it! Please don't get me wrong about asking about possibly surgery I am only trying to see what my options are and what would work best for us. thank you JBrown

RE: ears cropped

the vet that did the cropping on my pups ears showed me pictures of ears that other vets had botched up where he had went in and surgically corrected them. maybe you could check in your area to see if there is any corrective ear vets in your area.

Comment

Usually if they are not up by 18 mo. they'll need more surgery to stand. Much reconstructive surgery is "illegal" under AKC rules for breeding-show stock as you've noted. Hard to say what the problem is. Usually if the pup has decent leather, parents who stood and you can keep them up (taunt and erect) for a week or so at a time, just like a plant, they "train" to stand as the pup grows & by 8 mo. you see progress as a rule. Maybe see a referral guy or even take her to a couple of breeders for an opinion. Some dogs just won't stand no matter what you do. gOoD LuCk with it.

Comment

I have heard of a method of splitting the ear down the center and restiching, with the intent that the scar tissue formation will help hold the ears erect. I have only seen it done on a Snauzer (spelling) and the dog was a pet. I dont think I be interested in going that far.

Comment

Working...
        X