Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BOX ON HEAD WITH LOTS OF TAPE (PAINFUL!!!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOX ON HEAD WITH LOTS OF TAPE (PAINFUL!!!)

MY VET USES A BOX INSTEAD OF RACKS OR WHAT EVER OTHER TECHNIQUES SOME HAVE. WELL THE EAR CROPPING ITSELF SEEMED TO GO FINE AND HE DOESNT SEEM TO BE IN PAIN IN FACT MOST OF THE TIME HE DOESNT EVEN PAY ATTENTION THAT THE BOX IS THERE. WELL I WENT TO THE VET YESTERDAY TO HAVE THE STITCHES REMOVED AND THEY USUALLY REMOVE THE STITCHES AND LEAVE THE BOX FOR ANOTHER WEEK UNTIL IT IS REMOVED AND THE TAPING PROCESS STARTS. WELL BECAUSE OF ALL THE RAIN WE HAVE BEEN HAVING IN MY AREA THE BOX WAS UNREPAIRABLE, SO WE HAVE TO PUT A NEW BOX ON HIS HEAD AND IT USUALLY WOULD WORK ITSELF OFF OR LOOSEN GREATLY BUT BECAUSE IT HAS TO COME OFF EARLY THE TAPE IS STILL QUITE NEW AND REALLY ATTACHED. OK I HAD TO STAND THERE WHILE THE VET JUST RIPPED THE HAIR OUT OF MY BABIES HEAD AND MY PUP JUST SCREAMED, OH MY GOD I THOUGHT I WOULD DIE AND I DID ABOUT FAINT, THERE WAS NO BLOOD BUT JUST THE PAIN INFLICTED TO MY BABY AND THE BALD SPOTS THAT WERE APPARENT WAS ENOUGH FOR ME. WELL IN 7 DAYS THE VET TOLD ME I WILL HAVE TO TAKE THIS NEW AND NOT READY TO BE REMOVED AGAIN BOX FROM MY PUPS HEAD THE NIGHT BEFORE THE NEXT VISIT, THERE IS NO WAY I WILL BE ABLE TO DO THIS TO HIM. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO LOOSEN THE TAPE FROM THE PUPS HEAD SO IT WILL BE LESS TO NO PAIN? I THOUGHT ABOUT MAYBE DOUSING IT WITH LOTION OR BABY OIL TO SEE IF I CAN GET RID OF THE STICKY. PLEASE ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. I COULD JUST KICK MY SELF FOR HAVING HIM CROPPED NOW. 10 YRS AGO I HAD A DOBERMAN DONE THERE WAS NO PAIN NO PROBLEMS HIS EARS STOOD BEAUTIFULLY IN A WEEKS TIME AND BACK THEN THE VET DID IT ALL, I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THAT AFTER 10 YRS THAT TECHNOLOGY WOULD BE MORE ADVANCED AND THAT IT WOULD BE EASIER AND LESS PAINFUL NOW, WELL I WAS WRONG. THE VET THAT DID MY BABIES EARS NOW IS OVER AN HOUR AWAY AND THE REASON I CHOSE HIM IS BECAUSE HE IS ONE OF THE FEW PEOPLE NOW THAT ACTUALLY SPECIALIZES IN EARS (IN MY AREA), HES SUPPOSED TO BE THE BEST.

RE: BOX ON HEAD WITH LOTS OF TAPE (PAINFUL!!!)

I've seen and heard of people using baby oil to help loosen the tape. I have not taped any ears myself, so Take this as a complete novice, uneducated opinion. Debbie

Comment

(any way to lose the all caps? it makes it hard to read your messages)

Anyway, it is very discouraging that a Vet treated your puppy like that. NO there is NO reason to do that to him ever again. Go to a drugstore or medical supply shop and buy some "detachol" (ether and such work but are not available generally) You can probably buy the detachol online or a similar product, but medical supply shops should have it.

As to the box deteriorating, you can use styrofoam cups built up to the size required - or those plastic soda cups (upside down), no rain damage there. You can also get a jumbo pill bottle from the vet or vitamin bottle, it can be trimmed down to "crown" shape. likewise waterproof.

If the "hat" is attached by the application of skinbond there is really only 2 pieces of tape on the head, adhering the two front edges of the ears. DO NOT use adhesives if you don't have remover though.

If the stitches are removed, once the edges are healed you can use a traditional method to tape, check www.sunnysidefarm.com for a detailed explanation.

Certainly after the vet doing that I would be looking for other people to help me, if not the breeder then other dane, dobe or boxer people. maybe from a local training/breed club or local shows.

I had a similar situation once when a cat jumped on a puppy's head who was wearing a "crown", made it half on and half off on a Sunday and after that I swore to always keep skin bond and detachol products on hand (eyelash glue definitely doesn't cut it)

sandy
      http://web.mac.com/Witzn

Comment

thanks for the info. it is a combination of skin bond and tape and after the next box is removed he will then go to what he calls cones on the ears. the new box is already on his head so there is really nothing i can do about that but hopefully the cones will not be so bad. my vet regular vet here in town only does a pit or boxer crop on danes so that is why i did not use him and i was hoping he would help me with the taping but he does not have the experience with taping longer ears. i did not get him from a breeder that really had a whole lot of sense herself so thats not going to work. i will try to find the detachol you recommended though and will keep you guys updated on how everything works out. and any other suggestion would also be appreciated in case it does not work.

p.s. sorry about the caps but i am the opposite for some reason it is easier for me to read the caps, but if it is bothering people i will refrain from doing so. maybe that is why no one welcomed me to the site when i first introduced myself. lol.

Comment

I had to comment about the caps. If nobody welcomed you, it was because we were too busy reading all the HOT TOPIC threads instead. :-) Trust most of the regulars here to tell it like it is, and not ignore you. Astrid is always the nice one who asks politely to turn the caps off. Some, ok me, would say "what's with the #@!%$ caps???!!!" :-) Welcome to the board, and sorry I never said so sooner! And, hope your baby's ears are better soon. I'm so glad I never cropped Maggie's. She acts like I'm trying to torture her when I brush her; I'm sure the taping would have been horror. She looks cute in those floppy ears anyway.

My best boy, Trooper.
          sigpic

Comment

Welcome! I'm sorry no one acknowledged your intro. I always try to at least say a quick hello! Been a little busy in the last day or so and my computer is overloading with DOL email alerts.Boy, it sounds like work to tape those ears. Sky was natural eared, big and floppy. Good luck with the ears and welcome to the board. There are some really great knowledgeable people here. Enjoy! Debbie

Comment

RE: welcome

poor thing Cinnymon, here's a belated welcome from a new person, so it doesn't count for much. Sorry I can't comment on the ears thing, we don't do it in New Zealand. But Sandy I loved the comment about the eyelash glue! I always use soap or vaseline on plasters that hurt to pull (being a complete wimp myself).

Rachel

Comment

I used a product called Remove, which was labeled "universal adhesive solvent". Got it at a medical supply house, along with the skin bond and atheletic tape. (They thought I was nuts, by the way.)

Is Detachol the same thing as Remove?

Remove is pretty strong and can irritate the skin if used lavishly or left on long. (In fact, Remove is so strong it's no longer in it's original bottle but in a washed nail polish remover bottle with a new label.) Baby oil got me no where.

Comment

it sounds like the same thing, detachol has some sort of oil base and can be greasy. After using it it's a good idea to clean the surface (you need to clean all surfaces before a new taping anyway) with a drying type agent like alcohol.

Baby oil would just make more of a mess. I've also heard of people in the past using lighter fluid (argh) as a solvent and that is NOT recommended.

It may sound like overkill but really it is so much easier to just get a stock of this sort of thing before you need it. Usually you'll need it or run out when you don't plan to and generally on a Sunday night or holiday.

sandy
                  http://web.mac.com/Witzn

Comment

Working...
                  X