I have a Puppy with Cropped Ears!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a Puppy with Cropped Ears!!

I recently asked opinions about the cropping and decided to have Eeyore's done, I must tell you that all of the horror stories I had been hearing {even from the Vets at my job} It wasn't as bad as I thought, for either of us!!! His ears were cropped from a reputible Vet and after the procedure he was given antibiodics and pain medicine..I must tell you that there was not any blood, any crying, or any regrets. Maybe because he is soooooo young, I'm not sure but if i had to do it again I would. I know i will probably get alot of responses that it wasn't necessary and so forth, but on the flip side of people thinking that im being vain because i like the look better, I see so many dirty infected
    blood clots in the ear etc. etc. etc. THAT being probably the only benefits to my decision, i feel the decision was right for us. I love my Dane and would never do anything to him that I didn't research FIRST!! so PLEASE anybody that will be doing this to their puppy...FIND AN EXPERIENCED VET !!! It will make a difference on the outcome of the ears and the after care procedure. I took him to get the little cup between his ears and he didn't scream and whine when they took off the tape. The girls even drew a smiley face on the front of the cup...He looks so cute!! My point being that if your gonna do it!! Go to someone that really cares about your animal...not a backyard butcher out to make some money

bye for now
    Debby and Eeyore

RE: I have a Puppy with Cropped Ears!!

I also had my puppies ears cropped at 10 weeks of age. Everything went perfect. He had no pain and they look beautiful. They sent him home with a morphine patch. He never made a sound and there was no blood, no scabs, nothing. We had a fabolous vet and it only cost $410. He is scratching a lot now though. We had to tape them because they creased backwards and laid flat on top of his head. He doesn't like the tape but it is well worth it. A Dane just isn't a Dane without cropped ears!

Comment

Only $410!!! Wow - I have the best dane ear vet in Arizona and he charges $220. I think this is still high. I asked my vet friend why the surgey is so expensive and she gave me some insight. 1. It's not something they teach you at vet school.
      2. Surgery on puppies is dangerous at such an early
      age - immune systems aren't completely formed.
      3. The procedure must be learned at practiced with an
      experienced vet.
      4. It's really an art - knowing what pups are going
      to have ears that stand, how long to cut them...
      5. Dane owners are usually able to afford it, so its
      a money maker.

I should mention that the 220 pays for the surgery and one taping. The pre-exam is 38. Our pup pulled base stiches out at three days and they restitched for free. Retaping are 18. Done yourself, maybe a total of 40.

Comment

Hmmmmmm,
        I live in Md. and my crop was only $100.00. The breeder took him to her vet about a half an hour from my house and had it done!!
        I fortunately know how to post so there was no expenses for me!
        Eeyore has a long show crop and i do know that this vet is one of the very feww left in MD. that still crop. I happened to see one of Eeyore's sisters that came to my work for her shots and i almost fell over when i saw HER ears!! she had a short fighting crop...It was kinda sad because when i first glanced at her i thought it was a Pit..The lady asked me why my Danes ears were so long and looked at me like i had the wrong crop done on him...I guess eventually she will figure it out for herself...You guys were right!! you MUST research and get refs. before doing a major thing like cropping to your Dane..

bye for now~
        Debby and EEyore

Comment

$400 + for a crop! Wow. We pay $150 around here (Seattle)...that is the surgery, not the aftercare.

Comment

That's about what I pay also. For $400 I'd learn to like natural ears <g>.

Comment

I must say, I take offense to the comment that 'a dane just isn't a dane without cropped ears'. I don't mean to get things stirred up, there are already too many nasty things said when it comes to cropping or not cropping, but my dane and anyone else who has a natural eared dane, are just as much a dane as any who are cropped. It's not the ears, in my opinion, that make the dog.
              Dawn

Comment

My pup's crop will cost $215 (with tax) and it consists of surgery ($160) and an IV due to pups age (10wks - $30) and three follow up tapings.

Comment

FYI - the closest vet to me (170 mi. round trip to Reno) who would crop charged $280 - with follow-up visits for taping an extra $25 a pop. He strongly advised against a new Dane owner cropping and not having access to help for follow-up care.
                  So, I also asked myself what it is that I love about Danes, why I've waited 20 years to own one, and I realized that the ears didn't make the list. I sure do hope that when I adopt another, I will still be able to make the choice, and I commend anyone who is willing to take on the ??? months of taping. Please though, don't forget that the dogs were born with floppy ears, they are still Danes, and really, is it the ears that make you so crazy about your dog?
                  My best boy, Trooper.
                  sigpic

Comment

I wasn't going to crop the ears initially as I wasn't sure as to the ins and outs of it (this being my first dane). I'd love my pup either way. But the more I think about it, the more I like the look of croping. I had thought to leave this one un-cropped and crop my next dane's ears, but I figure seeing as I have no life anyway (translation: a LOT of extra time) I might as well do it. That way, I figure when I get another dane (esp. if I decide to brave the show ring) I will already have some expierence. Of course the biggest factor in my change from not croping to croping was talking with my vet about the procedure. It helps that she owns danes and has dealt with many a crop (among other dane related illnesses). While I do get 3 follow up tapings in the cost, both she and my breeder (as mentors and friends) live in the same city and have been so wonderful and helpful since day 1. Besides, I'll need to learn sometime. I guess on the flip side, I can still change my mind if I feel that I just won't be able to sufficiently care for my girl's ears, anytime before the crop date.

Comment

Hi..I cropped my puppies ears a few weeks ago and I feel so guilty about it. He was 11 weeks old which I know is sorta old..but he was a runt and needed to weigh more. The vet told me to take all the scabs off every night with hydrogen peroxide, and as gentle as I can be..it still is uncomfortable for my "Opus" Did you do this for the first few weeks with your dog? I went to a "reputable" vet and I just had never heard about the bloody yucky first part. I thought it was just trim and tape. Love my dog so much and can't believe I did this to him. Wondering if this is common practice..Thanks so much..
                      Anne-Elizabeth

Comment

I rub the ears daily with furacin ointment until they heal. You can get this from your Vet. Rub it on the cut edges. It helps it heal.

Comment

Thank you..I knew there had to be a better way.

Comment

We had our dogs ears cropped at 11 weeks as well. The vet uses the older method of racking them. He suspends them in a wire rack made of coat hangers. The ears are them literally taped up and wrapped. The puppy comes home with only the bottom sutures exposed, not the ear edges. After ten days, we take them back in and the rack comes off and the stitches come out. The stictches are completely healed and the ears are immediately put up in tapes. Good luck so far. There was no ear edge cleaning, no blood, nothing really. The only thing bad that happened was some base sutures were torn out buy scratching. The vet will not put the elizabethian collar on the racked pups, but has us wrap and tape the back feet in socks and pin a rolled up towel around the neck (it's a pain). I am clueless as to their dislike of the collors. The only disadvantage to the racks is that playful puupies can get it caught, trip and really snap their neck around. I hope you are using a dilute peroxide to clean, as undiluted can actually do more harm than good. I wonder why they dont have you use a dilute provide/betadine solution?

Comment

IN OUR AREA IT COSTED $208.00 FOR THE PROCEEDURE AND THE AFTER TAPING. THE VET I WENT TO SPECIALIZES IN EAR CROPPING. ZEUS HAS A BOX ON HIS HEAD BUT THE SIDES OF HIS EARS WHERE THE STITCHES ARE ARE VISIBLE SO THEY CAN BREATHE AND HEAL. NO YUCKY STUFF NOR PAIN SO FAR AND HE IS 13 WKS OLD.

Comment

Working...
                              X