problem ears

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem ears

Help!! As you all know, I had Bishop's ears done at 9 wks. and since then he has had constant infections from the tape and everything else. Beacause of this I have had to keep taking them down for 3 - 9 days to let infections and bloody sores heal. I then ordered Tent ups and the owner told me to take his ears down and let them completely heal while I waited for the product to arrive...well due to a clerical error..that took 5 wks!!! They have now arrived, i had them up for 7 days, took them down for 8 hrs. and put them back up....6 days later he had another infection and when I took them down had open sores all over. They have now been down 3 days.
    My main question is, if I keep on taping...will the ears eventually stand or is all hope gone?
    Since we live in Japan I have talked to my vet and found out how common skin problems/ allergies are because of the high pollution.
    Sorry this is so long, but all help is appreciated, I am very discouraged right now.Thanks again, Heather

RE: problem ears

Oops! I forgot to mention...he is 7 mos. this week. Just to give ya'll more info.
    Heather

Comment

I sorta doubt if they will stand. Some dogs are allergic to the tape and if you can't keep the ears taped up they just won't stand. If he was my dog I'd quit taping as it sounds like it's just too painful for him.

Comment

Allergies are an inherited problem. At this age & given all the types of taping materials you used & his sensitivity, more taping is more likely to just widen his allergy problems & there isn't likely to be any progress with his ears unless you could find something he ISN'T sensitive to...which seems a long shot?

Comment

Have you tried some of the hypo allergenic tapes they sell for people?

How down are they? are the bases up at all?

Is there a way you could pack the ear (with a cotton type material like ((I know it sounds silly but)) a feminine napkin or the like and then wrap the whole ear with something like vet wrap ( this is a cling sort of bandage wrap sold commonly in the use for bandaging, especially horses - it is also now sold for people over here, but I am not sure of it's name)

The risk with this process would be it restricts air flow, but it would limit the amount of glue used.

Have you tried the skin bond glue product, maybe test it on another area first?

I am not sure with that age of dog how they would like it, but you might also consider a wire (from coat hanger) head rack like some people use on small puppies. It has a padded head band and the ears only have one piece of tape at the very top - you could maybe use the non allergic sort?

I would think what you do will depend on how good or bad his ears are now - in terms of standing and in terms of soreness. As was said, some dogs are allergic to the tape products and actually the longer the cycle of irritation goes on the worse it can make the ears and ear leather for standing.

sandy
          http://web.mac.com/Witzn

Comment

Actually, he is allergic to vet wrap!!I tried using just that...no luck. Lately I've covereed the tape with it and that's been better. As for the glue product...they don't have it over here...I was going to go to the store today and by some medical gauze to put around his ears so the tape won't touch.No hypo-allergetic tapes either, we are very limited on over-seas military bases...we do most of our shopping on-line...so any products you suggest, at this point I would try!!! He is doing better now that I don't put any support down in his ear canal.
            As for his ears...let's just say they take turns going up when he hears something! Thanks again, Heather

Comment

Working...
            X