When to stop taping and posting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to stop taping and posting?

Yesterday marked nine weeks since I started taping / posting and when I took them down to clean / air out, they’re standing on their own. My other Dane I have had his ears taped for around 6 months, stand great but the tips curl inward a little and I read somewhere that could be caused by stopping the posting a little too early. Is there a way to tell when you can stop taping / posting?

Thanks,
    Chris

Sometimes you need to only tape the tips..sometimes it takes the tips a little longer.
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Originally posted by kahluadanes View Post
      Sometimes you need to only tape the tips..sometimes it takes the tips a little longer.
      Yeah I can see that for sure. But does 9 weeks sound too soon?

Comment

Most recommend full tapings until at least after the teething stage with when pup is about 6-7 months old. I did breath rite strips on the tips after mine turned about 7 months old.
        ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow View Post
          Most recommend full tapings until at least after the teething stage with when pup is about 6-7 months old. I did breath rite strips on the tips after mine turned about 7 months old.
          Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Some take as long as a year old..
            sigpic
            Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
            Associate Member GDCNE
            Member GSPCA
            Member NAVHDA
            Member Central Maine Kennel Club
            High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Originally posted by kahluadanes View Post
              Some take as long as a year old..
              I was thinking about that when I was taping his ears recently. I’ve been fortunate to not have to tape any of my Danes longer than 6 months and I’ve heard of people taping for over a year

Comment

Could it be possible that I only need to tape the tips after two and a half months of posting? I just took them down to clean them and he holds them perfectly up

Comment

It all depends on the dog, the crop, and the willingness of the owner to chance a hideous crop flop. If you want to see how he does, go for it. If the ears start flopping again, and you retape them, it will add to the total time you will probably need to tape. If the cartilage "breaks" they will never stand unless you have another type of surgery on them (scarring or buttoning). Totally up to you, it's not like any of us spent the hundreds of dollars on your dog's crop. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                  ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

It all depends on the dog, the crop, and the willingness of the owner to chance a hideous crop flop. If you want to see how he does, go for it. If the ears start flopping again, and you retape them, it will add to the total time you will probably need to tape. If the cartilage "breaks" they will never stand unless you have another type of surgery on them (scarring or buttoning). Totally up to you, it's not like any of us spent the hundreds of dollars on your dog's crop. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                    Lol....all very good points. The other day I took them down to breathe a little and realized I was out of straws so I had to wait until the next day to repost them. While they were still standing perfectly, the tips were turning in ever so slightly. This, coupled with the fact I just got some Zonas tape which works really well, put them back in posts for the next couple months at least.

I never knew / thought about the fact that the cartilage could “break”. As it is he’s probably going to need surgery to take care of an umbilical hernia....I don’t need him getting surgery to fix his ears.

Thanks for the advice!

Comment

I know patience is tough to come by when the ears are involved, you want them to stand and give him his regal Dane look as quick as possible (I know I did, and I wanted people to stop asking what happened to his ears? lol), but the flop is never worth it. I also always felt, better to long in tapes than to short. I'm glad you'll stick with it as long as it takes!
                      ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

I know patience is tough to come by when the ears are involved, you want them to stand and give him his regal Dane look as quick as possible (I know I did, and I wanted people to stop asking what happened to his ears? lol), but the flop is never worth it. I also always felt, better to long in tapes than to short. I'm glad you'll stick with it as long as it takes!
                        He’s just coming up on 6 months old. It gets harder for the tape to stay tight around the bell of his ears because he shakes his head so vigorously and it’s an awkward area to tape. The tips are still curling in so he’ll be posted for at least another month

Comment

Quick question: when you guys are posting just the top / tips, are you using just a smaller post and taping the top or are you using a full post and just taking the tips?

Comment

Working...
                          X