New crop....no cup or posts yet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New crop....no cup or posts yet

My younger Dane which I had his ears cropped, had a small cup on the top of his head with the newly cropped ears attached to. When I had my first Dane’’s ears done, he came out of the operation with foam inserts inside his ears. Today I had Bugsy’’s ears cropped and they didn’t use any foam, or cup, or anything. They said it’s fine that they hang and I can start posting in 10 days when the sutchers are removed. Has anybody else had this where there is no support until they start getting posted? Is it common and I just don’t know about it...?

Thank You!
    Last edited by Maximus146; 08-08-2019, 02:40 PM.

Most are posted from the beginning..Was your vet experienced with cropping?
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Originally posted by kahluadanes View Post
      Most are posted from the beginning..Was your vet experienced with cropping?
      Yes he said he’s done many Danes before. He said he doesn’t want anything covering the sutchers until they’re removed. Is this unheard of to not post from the beginning and should I post them with something until the sutchers are removed (medical glue with foam insulation)?

I think I’m going to try the zip tie method when the sutchers are removed....

Thank you
      Last edited by Maximus146; 08-09-2019, 03:14 PM.

Comment

I know it is too late now but did you ask to see pictures of dogs he had cropped or get references.. There is cropping and then there is cropping...not all who do crop are well versed in it or do it correctly.. No you don't want the sutures covered, you do want them to heal nicely, however usually (or at least most I know of) are posted right off without interfering with the sutures. At this point I guess I would go with what your vet is doing.
        sigpic
        Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
        Associate Member GDCNE
        Member GSPCA
        Member NAVHDA

Comment

I know it is too late now but did you ask to see pictures of dogs he had cropped or get references.. There is cropping and then there is cropping...not all who do crop are well versed in it or do it correctly.. No you don't want the sutures covered, you do want them to heal nicely, however usually (or at least most I know of) are posted right off without interfering with the sutures. At this point I guess I would go with what your vet is doing.
          Just spoke to the vet. Said he’s been cropping for 20 years and used to post the ears straight out of surgery. He switched to not posting them because I guess there were cases of dogs getting bumps along the edge where the ears were cut. They told me since he’s only 9 weeks old, whether I waited another 2 weeks or did them early like I did....if they weren’t cropped early they would still be hanging down until I did get them cropped.

Comment

Yes dogs can get bumps along the surgical line IF they aren't posted correctly after surgery..when posted after surgery the edges aren't covered, they are allowed to air.. The longer they go without being posted the longer it often takes to stand and some don't stand ever (of course in any crop there is no guarantee the ears will stand even after weeks/months of posting)
            sigpic
            Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
            Associate Member GDCNE
            Member GSPCA
            Member NAVHDA

Comment

Yes dogs can get bumps along the surgical line IF they aren't posted correctly after surgery..when posted after surgery the edges aren't covered, they are allowed to air.. The longer they go without being posted the longer it often takes to stand and some don't stand ever (of course in any crop there is no guarantee the ears will stand even after weeks/months of posting)
              I have Osto-Bond being delivered today. Maybe I’ll temporarily get foam insulation until the sutchers are removed on Monday and I can start with the zip ties

Comment

Mine's were left unposted after cropping, posted after stitches came out and they turned out fine.
                ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow View Post
                  Mine's were left unposted after cropping, posted after stitches came out and they turned out fine.
                  Such a good looking Dane and thank you so much for posting your response! I needed a little assurance that they would still stand fine despite not posting immediately after surgery. Thank you!

Comment

Thank you and you're welcome. I was a very paranoid pet parent when mine was done. I asked many questions! I hope everything goes well with your pupper.
                    ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow View Post
                      Thank you and you're welcome. I was a very paranoid pet parent when mine was done. I asked many questions! I hope everything goes well with your pupper.
                      Thank you....tomorrow the sutchers come out and the posting begins!

Comment

Working...
                      X