A request for my dogs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A request for my dogs

We have a few types of dog noises in the house.

We have..

The Whiney Bark -- a very soft boof followed by a whine at the end. This indicates that Daddy's car has just turned onto the street and we can't possibly wait the 45 seconds it is going to take him to actually get inside.

The Grumble -- a series of grumbles and whines that translate to mean "I have rung this doorbell five times and you still haven't opened the door yet."

The Follow Me -- one quiet boof followed by an intense stare until the boofed at person follows. This is used when a strange noise is heard that you want to check out, but you need a human to accompany you to let you know if what you are hearing is, in fact, scary.

The BarkBark -- a short, but fast succession of barks to alert your humans to the fact that someone is approaching the house.

The Big Boy Bark -- a ferocious snarling bark that prefaces a very fast run to the door or windows, intended to scare off the serial killer attempting to break into the house.

Dogs,

I would humbly like to request that when suspected serial killers are heard approaching the house, you would please go and look out the windows first to confirm what you ears have told you. If, in fact, someone is coming to murder me in my sleep then, and only then, will you employ your big boy bark. This is not a pleasant way to wake up.

Thank you,
    Mommy
    - Missy

Tristan, born 3/23/10
    sigpic

what about the howl? do your dogs ever howl? pea has done this 2 or 3 times and i swear by all that's holy, she is a WOLF reincarnated! it is the most eery sound i have EVER heard come out of a dog. it comes from the tip of her tail, travels the length of her body, comes out her mouth as she holds her nose straight up in the air.
    [SIGPIC]

Comment

This is so funny and so true-and how about the ROO-ROO???

Comment

That is so funny. I tell my gals that all the time. PLEASE PLEASE just look and see if theres Actually anything to even bark at before jumpstarting my heart to 5,000 BPM.
        sigpic
        Steeler

Comment

Originally posted by Charlene View Post

what about the howl? do your dogs ever howl? pea has done this 2 or 3 times and i swear by all that's holy, she is a WOLF reincarnated! it is the most eery sound i have EVER heard come out of a dog. it comes from the tip of her tail, travels the length of her body, comes out her mouth as she holds her nose straight up in the air.
          Chaos did that all the time... we could actually get him to do it by imitating the "back-up" noise that trucks and heavy machinery make. it was so funny when he did it. But if the coyotes were outside howling he would join in too. It was loud, long, and so mournful when he did it.

ok...

very cute! The Big Boy Bark is a favorite here with Xim...
          sigpic
          My Crew
          The Danes:
          Ximmy - DOB 11/23/09, Sprocket - Gotcha Day - 8/14/11
          The Cats:
          Kit-ten Rescued 1999 - calico; Banshee Rescued 2007 - Maine Coon Mix; OnzaPous and ReignaPous DOB - 2/17/09 - Maine Coon's
          At the bridge: Thumper, Ditto & Chaos
          ~Dogs and cats instinctively know the exact moment their owners will wake up. Then they wake them 10 minutes sooner.~

Comment

Originally posted by strickler View Post
            This is so funny and so true-and how about the ROO-ROO???

OMG, I get this all the time from Horatio (pictured below!) He has so much to say!
            sigpic
            Jen,
            Mom to:
            Dexter (Dane 2 yrs)
            Scout (Dane 7 yrs) Horatio (Dane 7 yrs) Ming (Chow 14 yrs) Obi Wan (Pit 3 yrs) Kaya (Pit 3 yrs) . . .and wife to Matt!
            Waiting at the Bridge:
            Timberlynd, Duke, Goliath, & Porsche(3/15/11)

Comment

Reich is the master of the grumble. Totally closed mouth and just a rumble in his throat. It is his opinion that a full bark takes just way to much effort. In his mind there really isn't much that is worth a full blown bark. Ya know, serial killers can be handled by mommie, that is what she is there for, right? He barely raises a head off the couch when someone comes to the door. And when daddy gets home it is dad's responsibility to come and greet Reich.

Reich finds much more solice in the deep sigh that has a mmmmmm sound to it. A huge intake of air into his massive chest, let out in a slow, long, obvious display of "omgosh, life is so demanding". He does this while waiting for his food, while tolerating us petting his unbelievable wonderfulness, even during his sleep. He even rises numerous times to walk in a circle and settle back into bed with the deep long siiiiiiigggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh.

Life is such a struggle when you are a pampered Great Dane!

~Reich (CGC) 12/21/09 - 1/26/12~
              ~Behr 4/22/11 - 3/28/14~

~Buhl 2/09/10~
              <3 My heart breaks for my lost Dane babies <3

Comment

Awh, we don't get any howling or roo-rooing here! I wish we had some to add to our vocabulary, though. I especially wish we had the roo-roo that other people's danes do in some of the videos here ^_^

We do get the deep, meaningful sigh though! When the food bowl gets pawed and Mommy says "you just ate an hour ago!" When Mommy opens the cabinet with the dog treats in it but doesn't take out the bag... when one of the dogs lies down on the other one's bed..

I love when they sigh. And it is always followed by a soulful glancing up with the eyes.
                - Missy

Tristan, born 3/23/10
                sigpic

Comment

Boston was a master sigh-er.. anytime he wanted anything he would sigh at me.
                  There was also this weird chesty whine that he did.. kinda like a woahwoahwoah. that means "you have something that i want and i'm tired of waiting for it"
                  Tracy Miller
                  sigpic
                  Be Kaptain's Facebook Friend!
                  Boston's Story Rest In Peace, Buddy! 11.14.2007-2.24.2011
                  Dog Food Advisor

Comment

Do yalls danes always end their yawns with a semi roo-howl type thing? Heidi does this every time and I can't help but laugh everytime. It's like yawning is this tremendous procedure to her.
                    sigpic
                    Steeler

Comment

Tristan yawns and he stretches his nose straight up into the air (I guess it looks like it should be a howl), but all that comes out is this tiny, squeaky little whine.

My favourite is at night. If I go to bed by myself, he hops right up on the bed and settles down. If my husband is in the room when I go to bed, he puts just his front paws up and -stares- at my husband until hubby comes and lifts his back legs onto the bed for him. Because, you know.. he is SOOOO tired and SOOO small and it is SOOO much effort to get onto the bed.

The instant hubby starts moving toward him, his tail starts thumping a million miles a minute and his ears go crazy moving back and forth because he is so excited that he isn't going to have to haul his pathetic self up onto the bed (that he is completely capable of STEPPING onto).
                      - Missy

Tristan, born 3/23/10
                      sigpic

Comment

Selestine. That is so funny. Our bedtmie routine (I'm single) is that I get in bed first and Heidi waits patiently (with her head resting on the end of the bed- all pathetic looking) till I get settled. Then at the exact moment I tap the bed she jumps up to get in her spot. I think she actually starts jumping in her mind as soon she sees my hand nearing the bed to pat it. Lol
                        sigpic
                        Steeler

Comment

Working...
                        X