This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closed accounts/name changes/Infractions/locked threads

Please be aware, if you request to close your account, it will be listed as "Banned". If you wish to come back to the forum at a later date, you must get approval by the admin or mod.

This ain't high school folks. You cannot come here, cause chaos, and then ask us to remove your posts and acct, because you don't want someone else to see them.

You can't insist that your acct be removed several times and ask that your username be changed. Usernames will only be changed if there is a valid legal reason.

Also, if you receive an infraction, don't bother to PM me to fight about it. I give out very few infractions and probably allow a lot more "discussion" than other forums do. For the most part, we have very little moderation here at DOL.

Also, if a thread is locked, that doesn't mean start another with the same issue.
    Last edited by dolmod; 08-12-2012, 09:02 AM.
    sigpic
    In Memory of Sky, EZ and Honor

Visit Poke's Facebook Page

Member of the GDC of MD.
    Well behaved danes are not born. They are “made” by responsible and caring dane owners.

I’ve been wondering on this one, how come when someone is banned they still show up sometimes as online - ie: circle by their name is green. I’ve noticed this with banned members here and on another forum and was wondering if you can ban but still allow for reading the forum?

I ask, because on the one forum I’ve been banned from I couldn’t do anything on it, just got a screen saying I was banned and couldn’t do any navigating at all.
    Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
    - Anatole France

Comment

they may have been logged on when they were banned. Also we do track IP addresses attached to usernames, so that's why you may see a green light next to a username.
      sigpic

Member of the GDC of MD.
      Well behaved danes are not born. They are “made” by responsible and caring dane owners.

Comment

im fine with the rules however you closed my thread, etc. i had the same person intentionally ruining a legit post/topic for me and i get reprimanded and they do not, thats not cool but whatever floats your boat.

also, what about others making a topic regarding me and my post, again, why are they not closed/reprimaned/banned

Comment

we're you banned? No. You have no idea what other members received infractions.

The post you refer to was closed and deleted and the members received infractions. You do not see them because the post was deleted.

Why do you insist on arguing with me?
          sigpic

Member of the GDC of MD.

Comment

Originally posted by dolmod View Post
            we're you banned? No. You have no idea what other members received infractions.

The post you refer to was closed and deleted and the members received infractions. You do not see them because the post was deleted.

Why do you insist on arguing with me?
            im not arguing, i was asking a question and i assumed they went unwarned, but if they didnt than i am fine.

Comment

also, i assumed they didn't get warned, in the bottom right of my post it has a red rectangle saying i was, nothing on there post

Comment

Picasso, no one sees your infractions and warnings but you. If I look at your user profile, I don’t see any of that. Only you see that. So if I had an infraction or a warning, I would see it, but you wouldn’t. Same with anyone else.

Its no one else’s business what warnings I get or what warnings you get, that’s why its is not viewable by the rest of the members. Unless you’re banned of course.
                Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
                - Anatole France

Comment

you know what they say about "assuming"
                  sigpic

Member of the GDC of MD.

Comment

Just curious, but if we post a thread totally unrelated to a previous thread of ours that got closed, but other members turn it into a thread about a previous topic, we can't be blamed for that and get an infraction for that can we?

Comment

only if you violate the TOU.
                      sigpic

Member of the GDC of MD.

Comment

I really cannot fathom what is so hard to understand about DOL forum rules and member dispositions:

1. DOL supports ethical and responsible pet ownership and breeding.
                        If you support a BYB or you treat your dog questionable, you can count on it that DOL members have something to say about it (and no, to my knowledge if their response is within the rules they are not reprimanded for voicing their personal opinion).

2. Do not call anybody names, stay civil and discuss a topic.
                        If you use bad language or flipp out her, or threaten somebody personally, it is not going to be tolerated.

3. If threads go off topic or the deep end they are closed to avoid further damage.

4. If you keep doing the same thing, and writing the same posts, asking the same questions, you are getting the same responses.

5. DOL members have a long memory, they do not forget what you have posted or done a few years ago. If you have brought negative attention to yourself through your own posts, people will remember. In that case you must have left quite an impression.

6. DOL members have an excellent BS barometer. We come from all walks of life and many of us are older and have lived a while. If you try to tell us BS our radar pings off, and we'll let you know.

7. DOL members care, they care about your dog, your child, and you. Now it can be that their caring can and is very beneficial to you, because they will share their experience and wisdom freely with you, but it can also be a pain in the rear end. In that case they are like a nagging consciousness urging you to do better.

8. Another side effect of that caring are the river of tears cried about every dog that has to leave and all the well-wishes and prayers if somebody needs them, and all the cheers and laughter, and slaps on the back when something goes right for you.

9. If you are a part of DOL you are a part of group of very sincere and down to earth people that have came together for the love of the breed Great Dane. You are not just on any other forum. If you have friends here, you not have virtual internet friends. You have friends that do not hesitate to be there for you in real life also. I have had plenty of real contact with people from DOL, and that an ocean away.

10. As with any good group, you cannot just pick out things that a great for you. You have to bring something to the table also. So instead of complaining about other members, how about you start reading here. Getting to know us, and then if you think you are a great fit here, introduce yourself.

If you were a guest at somebody's house, would you just open the front door run in, go immediately to the fridge grab a beer on the way to the couch, plop down, take charge of the remote and expect everybody else to watch what you want to see?

So if I can understand this as a German citizen clear across the Atlantic ocean, this cannot be too obscure.
                        Last edited by jeann1230; 08-13-2012, 12:58 AM.
                        sigpic
                        With best regards,
                        Jeannette Luca & Leo and now Lilly & Sophie

Comment

What I don't understand is why anyone would want the 'slate wiped clean' and a new id? What are they going to do differently that will not evoke the responses they have taken offense to?

It's an awesome policy not to arbitrarily delete posts/threads. It encourages us to take responsibility for what we post.

I'm guessing the majority, if not all, requests for closed accounts, post removals, etc. are coming from newbies to Danes and DOL. Perhaps it's because they focus on the 'tone' of a post and not the message in it?

New members: When you join DOL, you will be treated like an adult who possesses common sense and a willingness to learn from those who have the experience you lack. What you post determines if that assessment needs to be readjusted accordingly.

It really doesn't get any simpler than that.
                          sigpic

Comment

I've seen some of the "childish" threads and it seriously amazes me that an adult would behave such a way. Asking to delete a thread or terminate a membership because of backlash from a controversial post is, for lack of a better word, LAME!

I still consider myself a newbie. I came here initially to learn more about the breed and how to properly purchase a dane. I spent a lot of months lurking before joining and introduced myself when I was a few weeks from bringing our boy home. I came here to learn, share my experiences and meet people with a common interest...the greatest breed of dog I've ever owned. I came here accepting I know a lot less than many members and giving them the respect they deserve. I came here humble. While I have gained so much knowledge from this forum, you can never stop learning.

Along the way I have become acquainted with some super great people and I hope I continue to get to know even more people. I appreciate the warm welcome I have received from DOL members and their patience with me as I go through the wonderful experience of raising my great dane puppy. Thank you DOL! Just letting you all know that this newbie thinks you are GREAT!

Comment

My suggestion to "new DOL'ers" would be to read the threads first. Read past threads too. This should give "most" people a good idea of what DOL is about concerning their ethics and the overall mentality as well as feelings of the members. If AFTER one reads a number of threads & topics they should be able to decide if DOL supports the same morals & ethics that they themselves have. If not then they can search for a new forum. It's really that simple.

When I first found DOL I was so excited. And yes I felt that some of my questions were really "basic" but, for someone new to Danes I needed the correct answers. I feel as though I was welcomed here with open arms & I still feel that way. I have never been made to feel ousted or uncomfortable. However, I must admit that I spent a while lurking & reading before posting. That way I was able to make sure that I was in the right place for me.

I still love DOL & tell everyone that will listen to come on & read. Thanks for being part of my Dane family and helping when I was in need.
                              sigpic
                              Roxy & Ace

Comment

Working...
                              X