This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mistified247 View Post
    My suggestion to "new DOL'ers" would be to read the threads first. Read past threads too. This should give "most" people a good idea of what DOL is about concerning their ethics and the overall mentality as well as feelings of the members.
    While this is simple .. the simple truth is .. 99% of 'new members' to a forum NEVER look for an answer before posting their thread. Most don't even post an intro before posting a thread elsewhere.

In the past I've been a member of multiple forums of different types and structures .. this has always been an issue at each one .. an issue that regular members constantly gripe about .. and one that new members are always defensive about lol.

It's just a loop lol.
    sigpic
    A backyard breeder (BYB) is someone who has been deemed not a reputable breeder.

A "Responsible Breeder" supports their buyers, supports their own dogs, and supports the lives of any fututre puppies by having (and keeping up with) all the appropriate health testing suggested by the GDCA.

Comment

The archives provide a LOT of solid information, so much so that I often use the Advanced Search parameters to look for posts made 1 year ago and OLDER. There are a lot of things that have been discussed in detail in the past but don't see much action nowadays.
      sigpic

Comment

While this is simple .. the simple truth is .. 99% of 'new members' to a forum NEVER look for an answer before posting their thread. Most don't even post an intro before posting a thread elsewhere.
        DOL is the only place I'll ever be in the 1%!

Comment

Originally posted by Jehn View Post
          DOL is the only place I'll ever be in the 1%!
          It's a good 1% to be in!
          sigpic
          A backyard breeder (BYB) is someone who has been deemed not a reputable breeder.

A "Responsible Breeder" supports their buyers, supports their own dogs, and supports the lives of any fututre puppies by having (and keeping up with) all the appropriate health testing suggested by the GDCA.

Comment

I've been here for a few years, and I still have trouble finding what I want with the search feature
            sigpic
            Deb

Duke and Ivy

Comment

I'm on xda developers (a mobile software development forum) and their #1 rule is:
              "Search before posting."

ARCHIVESSSSSSSSS

I've found it's easier to have my results displayed as posts via "show posts" when I search. You will usually get a bunch of results from the same thread, but when you click the link (in italics) it takes you to the post that had your search term. I will usually open one in a new tab, scroll down to the next search result from a different thread, open it in a new tab, and do this until I have 4-5 new tabs up. I'll go through those and then continue where I left off in my search.

I like that method, because sometimes the thread really isn't about my search term, and looking through post results allows me to see the content of the post, then determine if the thread is applicable to my search term before I spend time looking through the entire thread. If it is related to my question, I will usually read the entire thread.

The other option is to search and have your results displayed as threads via "show threads." You will get a list of the threads that contain your search term. When you select a result, your search term will be bolded in red (it is also does this via "show posts"), but often you have to filter through the thread (it may not be on the first page you are directed to) or "search this thread" to find the post that contained your search term.

That's just how I like to do it. I'm sure other members have their own methods that differ but work well for them.
              sigpic
              <, and Stef
              <'
              What do you call cheese that isn't yours? Macho Cheese!!

Comment

Originally posted by bluebeetlemom View Post
                I've been here for a few years, and I still have trouble finding what I want with the search feature
                Are you using the Advanced Search feature? A definite must.
                sigpic

Comment

Bumping this as a reminder to all. Just because I'm not here 24/7 doesn't mean full grown adults are permitted to act like fools.

In fact, if in doubt, a member should READ a little before opening up their mouth to berate and defame some of our longtime members.
                  sigpic
                  In Memory of Sky, EZ and Honor

Visit Poke's Facebook Page

Member of the GDC of MD.
                  Well behaved danes are not born. They are “made” by responsible and caring dane owners.

Comment

For a long time, we raised horses. If you think the issue of dogs is hard to find agreement on, god help you if you get into horses. It is fraught with hard feelings and silly opinions and old fashioned stubborness. But here, I find I don't know anything about these magnificent animals and need the advice of the caring people on this forum. Yet, I have to be careful not to discover a new fact and want to shout it to everyone, not realizing you folks are already well aware of it. My Pacific salmon post is a case in point.

So I am keeping my eyes peeled for posts that add to my knowledge and am grateful for the depth of knowledge on this forum that is so accessible.

I have disagreements with things some people say, but who am I to pontificate about something the folks here have done for years succesfully. I will watch and listen and be grateful for the kindess of the members on this forum.

And the pictures of their delightful dogs which bring warmth to my soul..
                    Last edited by merrymeadow; 01-21-2014, 01:38 PM. Reason: la la la la brain

Comment

Originally posted by BigLittleSmall View Post

In the past I've been a member of multiple forums of different types and structures .. this has always been an issue at each one .. an issue that regular members constantly gripe about .. and one that new members are always defensive about lol.

It's just a loop lol.

in many other forums if the question has been asked several times before eg "what food should i put my dog on" or "why raw?", the dolmod would close the thread stating that OP should use the search tool to reduce redundancy. I think we should do that; it's crazy i often use the search tool and soooooo many threads come up, all stating the same thing, and it's usually the posts from 1-2 years ago that give the much needed additional insight.
                      sigpic

my beautiful blue-eyed babe

Comment

Originally posted by michlhw View Post
                        in many other forums if the question has been asked several times before eg "what food should i put my dog on" or "why raw?", the dolmod would close the thread stating that OP should use the search tool to reduce redundancy. I think we should do that; it's crazy i often use the search tool and soooooo many threads come up, all stating the same thing, and it's usually the posts from 1-2 years ago that give the much needed additional insight.
                        While I agree, that's also a lot of extra work on the MODS. When using the search feature, click "advanced" then choose "posts" instead of threads .. much easier to sort through information that way (no having to pop in and out of threads searching)
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BigLittleSmall View Post
                          While I agree, that's also a lot of extra work on the MODS. When using the search feature, click "advanced" then choose "posts" instead of threads .. much easier to sort through information that way (no having to pop in and out of threads searching)
                          certainly. i wonder how many moderators there are? perhaps having a couple who can check in on DOL once a day to reply to and close threads that have obviously been asked and responded to before?

this might sound harsh, but it is only to the benefit of many that questions are archived and curated in such as way that additional information is added to threads that already have been well established. there is no sense in some members offering the same information time and time again-- it makes the task of using the search tool more tedious and cumbersome, which should be the most effective way to look for answers, and would relieve some of the more senior/knowledgeable members from regurgitating info time and time again. it can be a burdensome activity to constantly talk about calcium/phosphorus ratios or whether or not to crate, and i greatly admire those few who are frequently the ones to answer the same questions over and over again!
                          sigpic

my beautiful blue-eyed babe

Comment

If I had to guess, I would say a lot of people are hesitant to bump old threads. Unless you're talking about the 4 zillion dog food questions.
                            sigpic
                            Fergus
                            SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
                            Eisen Shark
                            C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

bumped up for new members
                              sigpic
                              In Memory of Sky, EZ and Honor

Visit Poke's Facebook Page

Member of the GDC of MD.
                              Well behaved danes are not born. They are “made” by responsible and caring dane owners.

Comment

Working...
                              X