This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dolmod View Post
    Folks, just because I've been a little tiny bit busy preparing for Hurricane Irene, doesn't mean that some the membership can go nuts. PLEASE be reminded that Paul will be around when I get washed out to sea. So knock it off.
    If you come south by way of water, I'll reach out & grab you!!
    sigpicDane and Martini

Comment

sorry too.
      Stay safe and dry! Have you and all the east coasters in my prayers tonight!

~Jeanne, Jason & Emily(6)-The Humans~
      Milly-Harl GD,
      Tank, Tigra Cougie & Jax-The Cat Crew
      www.valparasiokennelclub.com

Comment

Originally posted by dolmod View Post
        If you have nothing of value to add to a discussion other than to comment on the "way" a person answered a question or what their "tone" is, I'll be removing your comments. Just a brief reminder that this is a dane education forum, not Dr. Phil.
        Please forgive this self-indulgence for a minute…
        As highlighted above, this is a discussion forum. Yet more and more I find myself typing out a response, then saying screw it, and delete the whole thing.
        Its not because I don’t have something of value to add to the conversation, but because one post followed by 20 other “tone” or "lets be nice" posts gets old.

It's really tricky to try and word stuff in a way that won’t offend the person who’s been doing it a different way for 30 years, that won’t offend the person that didn’t know any better, that won’t offend the person who posted the incorrect information, and every other person that takes offense at someone voicing an opinion that may or may not coincide with theirs.

And you know what? No matter how carefully you try to walk that tightrope of not saying anything controversial or offensive ever, it just doesn’t happen. A “cute pup” post can be misconstrued!

I know this may be a foreign concept for some, but no one is responsible for your feelings but you. If you decide to take offense at a post (that does not violate any TOU), that is your doing, not the person who wrote the post.
        I would invite you (meant in a general sense, not directed at anyone in particular) to put on your big girl panties, be a grown-up responsible for their own stuff, and reflect on Eleanor Roosevelt’s wise words: “no one can make you feel inferior without your permission.”
        Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
        - Anatole France

Comment

Oooh, did I miss a thread?
          Katie & Scarlett
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Meatos View Post
            Oooh, did I miss a thread?
            Not one particular thread, no.
            Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
            - Anatole France

Comment

Originally posted by ouesi View Post
              Yet more and more I find myself typing out a response, then saying screw it, and delete the whole thing.
              I do this ALL THE TIME. And for the same reason. I don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers and then get accused of being a big meanie. I'm debating deleting this as I type it because I'm not sure it adds anything except to say, "I concur."
              ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow View Post
                I do this ALL THE TIME. And for the same reason. I don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers and then get accused of being a big meanie. I'm debating deleting this as I type it because I'm not sure it adds anything except to say, "I concur."
                We don't want our members to be silent. If you wish to express your opinion, and are a member here, you are welcome to do so as long as it doesn't violate our TOU. Hate to say this, but if everyone only agreed with one theory and one way of doing things, there would be no reason to have a forum.

Sparrow, you're not a big meanie - that's GMAC's title.

I know this may be a foreign concept for some, but no one is responsible for your feelings but you. If you decide to take offense at a post (that does not violate any TOU), that is your doing, not the person who wrote the post.
                I would invite you (meant in a general sense, not directed at anyone in particular) to put on your big girl panties, be a grown-up responsible for their own stuff, and reflect on Eleanor Roosevelt’s wise words: “no one can make you feel inferior without your permission.”
                Thumbs up on these statements. DOL may not be for everyone, but it's worked well as an educational resource for 12 years now. If you don't like the "tone" of our forum, there are dozens of other dane forums out there that would be more than happy to hold hands and sing Kumbaya. I don't know why people who are not happy with a product (the DOL Forum) continue to use that product.
                sigpic
                In Memory of Sky, EZ and Honor

Visit Poke's Facebook Page

Member of the GDC of MD.
                Well behaved danes are not born. They are “made” by responsible and caring dane owners.

Comment

Just bringing this to the top. It's probably a good idea that new members read the stickies in all the forums. They contain quite a bit of valuable information.
                  sigpic

Member of the GDC of MD.
                  Well behaved danes are not born. They are “made” by responsible and caring dane owners.

Comment

I've could have been spending my evening watching one of the last episodes of "The Closer", but instead I'm spending the evening giving out infractions to members who wish to stir the pot.

First off, anything OTHER than responsible breeding and pet ownership will not be tolerated. ANYONE who in ANY way professes to harm an animal in ANY way, shape or form, will be removed and banned permanently, and if need be, I'll find some way to report you to the authorities. I've done it before, I won't hesitate to do it again. If there is any suggestion that a child is in danger from a dane, you bet your sweet bippie that I will also contact the authorities.

I am tired of reading story after story of children who lives have been ruined because their parents have no brains.

Secondly, if you've got nothing to add to a thread, other than to comment on the tone of this forum or it's members, please do us a favor and just leave right now. Contact me and I'll be more than happy to remove your acct. If it's done more than once and you were warned, consider yourself gone.

Paul and I work too hard to keep up with this forum to deal with petty grade school BS. You want to troll, do it elsewhere.

Oh, and those new to great danes.....there is a reason that God gave us 2 eyes and 2 ears and only one mouth. Please continue to ask questions but PLEASE do not dismiss the generations of experience that our long term members have. Some of them have more years owning danes than years you have been on this planet.
                    Last edited by dolmod; 08-06-2012, 07:07 PM.
                    sigpic

Member of the GDC of MD.

Comment

Amen brother...and thank you for doing the great job keeping us going! Ride safe...

Hawk & Roadkingsigpic

Comment

bringing this up top. Seems that we go thru this from time to time. I don't know why - full moon? After Christmas let down?
                        sigpic

Member of the GDC of MD.

Comment

Working...
                        X