samson, my cartoon dog

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• samson, my cartoon dog

oh, samson! how i miss you and your goofy play times and even the gallon of drool you would leave in my lap every time you took a drink. when you got here back in november, you were in pretty sorry shape...skinny with a really nasty case of happy tail and good grief, you sweet boy, you had balls the size of texas! dr. kris neutered you and docked your tail and it was SO cute because when you wagged your little stub, your whole back end went into warp speed wiggles. i just loved that about you, you were such a happy guy!

we got you all better and fat and sassy. oh how you loved your satin balls! even when you got up to 150# from the measly 119# you were when i met you, i still gave you satin balls, just smaller ones because i know how much you loved them.

remember when i gave you raw food that very first night? you didn't even hesitate. you inhaled every single thing i ever gave you, even raw liver!! you were the poster boy for a healthy raw fed great dane.

when you got sick, i was beside myself with worry. i thought surely it was just some sort of bug. after all, you were so healthy and so happy. but it was not to last. when the cardio vet said you were in the last stages of heart failure because of DCM, i could not believe my ears. your poor heart was working so hard, it was merely fluttering, not even truly beating.

as much as i wanted to take you home and love you, both vets said it would be a kindness to end your suffering. you were quite obviously not the same and i knew you didn't feel at all well. so i held your big blocky head in my lap and wrapped my arms around you as you drifted off to sleep for the last time. i tried so hard not to cry, i didn't want you to see me so sad but i couldn't help it. we only had 7 months together but i knew i loved you after the first 7 seconds. you were such a good and sweet dog. heaven now has a very, very special angel. sleep peacefully, my love, and run free and healthy! i will never forget you.

i love you so much, sweet samson.

[SIGPIC]

I'm so sorry for your loss. You showed him so much love my heart aches for you.
    sigpic

Peach, merle Great Dane
    Born July 7 2014
    Peach & Emily!

Comment

Was wondering how you were doing. This post brought me smiles (before all the tears). Thanks for sharing your happy memories. ❤️
      sigpicKelly

Comment

thanks, i'm doing kind of ok. i still can't believe he is really gone. seven months?? i was expecting to get seven YEARS with him!

i feel bad for destiny. she and samson played all the time, running and chasing and bitey face. she misses him, tries to get olivia to play but 'livi just isn't interested in more than about 5 seconds of it. it's been too hot to do much with them outside so we are all, more or less, stuck in the house. can't wait for it to cool off enough to take them out in the fields.

thank you for the lovely sentiments.
        [SIGPIC]

Comment

Lovely tribute, he sounds like a great boy.

Comment

That is beautiful Charlene...after losing four of my babies (two cats and two dogs...they all got old at the same time..) I have realized that it is possible to love each and every one of them with my whole heart..and while you know it is the right thing to do to let them go...they each have your heart forever..

Comment

I sure do miss all the Samson videos, stories and pics. He was such a goofy sweet boy. Taken far too young. His breeding, then subsequent neglect, made him such a mess! But he was such a wonderful mess, wasn't he? The rotting tail he had when you got him and had to amputate made his wiggly butt so cute. His absolute train wreck of a back end conformation was the saddest thing ever but that just made him more endearing. So much about Samson was totally preventable by the breeder, including the heart disease that took his very young life. It just angers me to no end.

I know I've said this before, but it's worth saying again. You gave him the absolute best 7 months of his life. He lived, was cared for and loved in the way he always deserved. Not a shadow of doubt in my mind that he was brought into your life to make his final days so special for him. He was no longer in pain, wasn't suffering or going hungry. He had the softest of beds, the girls to play with and a Momma who loved him to no end.

In those 7 short months, Samson became a favorite of mine and I just loved his silliness! It just broke my heart for him and for you.

Thank you for being such a wonderful and compassionate guardian for Samson. He needed you the day he came to you and you helped him without question. Then when he needed you most, to let go of him with love and gentle care, you helped him again.

My favorite memory of Samson will always be that wiggly, swaying rear end carrying the pigs koolaid pitcher in front of you, constantly turning around and looking back at you as if to say, "Come on Mom, let's go!" I wholeheartedly believe that is exactly what you will see when you meet him again at the bridge. Samson, that pitcher in his mouth, butt wiggling a mile a minute and looking over his shoulder saying, "Come on Mom, let's go!"

Oh Charlene, that cartoon dog of yours just touched so many. Thank you for all you do.
              sigpic

Comment

Heartbreaking beautiful story... thanks for sharing.
                Xerxes Knight GD (April 29 2016 - present)
                Hannibal Knight GD (July 15 2003 - Nov 5 2015)

Comment

I am so sorry about Sampson, but thankful he had a wonderful life with you.
                  Tracy
                  sigpic
                  Mouse April 2010
                  Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by Angel7292 View Post
                    I sure do miss all the Samson videos, stories and pics. He was such a goofy sweet boy. Taken far too young. His breeding, then subsequent neglect, made him such a mess! But he was such a wonderful mess, wasn't he? The rotting tail he had when you got him and had to amputate made his wiggly butt so cute. His absolute train wreck of a back end conformation was the saddest thing ever but that just made him more endearing. So much about Samson was totally preventable by the breeder, including the heart disease that took his very young life. It just angers me to no end.

I know I've said this before, but it's worth saying again. You gave him the absolute best 7 months of his life. He lived, was cared for and loved in the way he always deserved. Not a shadow of doubt in my mind that he was brought into your life to make his final days so special for him. He was no longer in pain, wasn't suffering or going hungry. He had the softest of beds, the girls to play with and a Momma who loved him to no end.

In those 7 short months, Samson became a favorite of mine and I just loved his silliness! It just broke my heart for him and for you.

Thank you for being such a wonderful and compassionate guardian for Samson. He needed you the day he came to you and you helped him without question. Then when he needed you most, to let go of him with love and gentle care, you helped him again.

My favorite memory of Samson will always be that wiggly, swaying rear end carrying the pigs koolaid pitcher in front of you, constantly turning around and looking back at you as if to say, "Come on Mom, let's go!" I wholeheartedly believe that is exactly what you will see when you meet him again at the bridge. Samson, that pitcher in his mouth, butt wiggling a mile a minute and looking over his shoulder saying, "Come on Mom, let's go!"

Oh Charlene, that cartoon dog of yours just touched so many. Thank you for all you do.
                    i owe you a special thanks for all of your help and compassion over the last couple of weeks. you are so right, he was truly a wonderful mess! everything about his conformation sucked but it never slowed him down for one minute. he was such a happy, happy dog and until the DCM reared its ugly head, you never would have known he never stood a chance from birth.

that boy and the kool aid pitcher...every day, twice a day, he did his job. he picked that pitcher up off the ground and trotted back to the house with it. sometimes he would drop it on the deck, sometimes at the back door. other times, he would take it in through the dog door, take it to bed and chew on the handle. i would ask him 'what are you doing, you silly boy??' and he would just look at me with those eyes and grin from flying nun ear to flying nun ear.

i shudder to think how he might have died had he been left in the care of the people who had him before me. while they are a lovely young couple, they are clueless about danes and possible health issues. i have awful visions of him dying alone or in pain. so yes, i do think God planned for samson to be with me so that he would be in the care of someone who would know what to do and be able to afford to do it.

i just miss him so so much. i hope my next dane boy has half as much personality as my silly cartoon dog did!

thank you for the lovely words, troy-leigh, and everyone else. heaven has a very special furry angel.
                    [SIGPIC]

Comment

Thank you so much for this, Charlene. I can just tell how much you loved him :'). He will be missed by all of us. Rest in peace beautiful boy.
                      sigpic
                      Willow and Liv

Comment

Working...
                      X