X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlene
    started a topic my sweet bentley

my sweet bentley

oh, mister bentley. i remember the day we met. you were supposed to be a foster. pea and ashley fell in love with you before we even got home from st. louis so i called the rescue the very next day and told Ďem to send me a contract and iíd send a check. i knew you were here to stay.

over the past 6 years, we had some good times, some great times, and a few bad times. youíre *up there* now with pea and ashley and i hope your reunion was a happy, happy one!

when the vet gave me the diagnosis, i was crushed. it had only been a few weeks since you and i lost pea and the thought of losing you, too, was just unthinkable. but lose you, i must. i didnít want to see you in pain, i didnít want to see you have trouble breathing since i knew the cancer was already in your lungs by the time we found it. i wanted you to leave this world a happy guy, goofy as ever, lovable as they come, and with as much dignity as i could give you.

i am gonna miss filling in the holes you dug. and fighting with you over that spot on the couch we both loved best, and iĎll especially miss the barkfests at 2 a.m. when, apparently, there was something amiss in your world. i will miss your enthusiasm when i was fixing your meals. iíll miss hearing those bones crunch as you finished off a meal in record time and then looked around for more. i will tell you one thing i wonít miss and that is going hunting for you when you found that gap in the fence! i donít know how many times i felt panic when i was afraid you wouldnít come home. but you always did, you were such a stinker about that gap!

iím sure you will find gary. make sure you get a piece of his Hershey bar!

bentley, you were never ďjust a dogĒ to me. you were my friend, my companion, my couch buddy, my confidant. lots of tears were shed into your fur and you always knew when i was sad because you would come to me and bury your head in my lap. it was your way of saying itíll be ok, mom, iím right here.

and now, youíre not here and i miss you more than words can say. olivia misses you. even destiny looks for you, even though she knew you for only a short time. iím glad they could both be there when you crossed the bridge. i think they are at peace, it will take me a little longer to get there. i miss you buddy. I will always miss you and I will always love you. Be a good boy and give pea and ashley some slobbery kisses for me. RIP big guy. You were the best friend i could ever have had!

• Michkendo
    replied
    I haven't been on DOL for a while, and Charlene - this very sad news was the first post I saw. I knew in my heart of hearts Bentley crossed over and I was weeping even before I got to your very loving and heartfelt letter to him.
    Whenever one of us loses one of our sweet Danes, we all feel it. Ever so sorry for your loss

Leave a comment:

• Charlene
    replied
    bentley's urn arrived yesterday. need to get some ink for my printer so i can get a picture in it. i should have him home any day now.

*sigh*

Leave a comment:

• GoingPostal
    replied
    I'm so sorry Nina, I always loved your stories about him and Pea and Ashley, they are back together at last. Glad you have your new girls to give you some comfort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• danelover1
    replied
    I dread opening this thread .........I have goose bumps from reading your letter to him as it hits home more than you can imagine.......
    I am so very sorry for your loss

Leave a comment:

• Charlene
    replied
    thank you all so much for the lovely words. i want to especially thank tracy who guided me along the way by explaining what her sweet echo went through. it helped me so much to know what to expect along the way. thanks tracy!

even with my 2 girls here, my house seems so empty without pea and bentley. they were my sidekicks for 6 years and i miss them so much. now they are together with ashley again and i know they're watching over us.

strickler, i'm so so sorry to know you lost merlin. i just can't put my finger on what it is about this breed that leaves such a huge hole in our hearts when they are no longer here. i guess it's everything about them, and more.

as long as there is breath in my body and i am able, i will always have a dane or 2 at my side...no matter how much it hurts to lose them.

thanks again. to everybody!

Leave a comment:

• angel4546
    replied
    I am so sorry. Hopefully he'll be able to play with my Cassie up there. She'd love that. My heart hurts for you.

Leave a comment:

• tarheelchick
    replied
    Charlene, I am so sorry for your loss. What beautiful words you wrote...

Leave a comment:

• jrturk
    replied
    I'm so sorry for your loss.

Leave a comment:

• strickler
    replied
    Oh Charlene...I am so very sorry...I have tears in my eyes for you....I know how your heart aches...I just lost my boy Merlin...he looked quite a bit like Bentley...I know Merlin met Bentley and said.."We have to watch and protect our Moms from here now...I will show you.." Sending love your way...

Leave a comment:

• Pauline301
    replied
    So very sorry for your loss!! Rest In Peace Bentley!!

Leave a comment:

• Kumah
    replied
    I'm so sorry Charlene, such beautiful words for an incredible dog. I hope that you find peace soon, in knowing that he is okay and no longer in pain. Rest in peace Bentley, fly free with your angel wings

Leave a comment:

• mnmouse
    replied
    I'm feel so bad for you, Charlene. My experience with Echo mirrored yours...I know the heartache. Fly fast and free Bentley, say woof to my sweet Echo for me.

Leave a comment:

• Lizzie
    replied
    ah sista sista...
    xoxoxoxoxo

Leave a comment:

• sierrasmom
    replied
    Charlene, what a great mom you were to Bentley. May the good memories bring you peace.
    Carol, Sierra, and Luna

Leave a comment:

Working...
X