• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lmbcr22
    started a topic Adding a 2 legged member to the pack

Adding a 2 legged member to the pack

Hi All,

Long time member who usually just lurks through the threads and learns from previous posts.

I am expected in September and looking for some general advice about preparing for a new addition.

I am the mom to an almost 10 year old male and an almost 6 yr old female mix who came from MAGDRL. Both have been therapy dogs in the past (him more successfully than her), both get lots of walks, and both are fairly well trained in the house. She's a nervous nelly by nature, he's is not plus he sleeps A LOT the more he ages.

I'm already considering the normal stuff--individual spaces for each to retreat to, teaching the baby to be respectful of "their space", how to prevent something like the 10 year old falling on the baby on accident as his mobility changes, walking with 2 big dogs and a little baby, etc.

But would love to hear any general advice for bringing a baby into the equation? Resources to look into?

Thanks!
    Lindsey, mom to Zinn and Stella

• lisacp75
    replied
    Originally posted by lmbcr22 View Post
    Hi All,

Long time member who usually just lurks through the threads and learns from previous posts.

I am expected in September and looking for some general advice about preparing for a new addition.

I am the mom to an almost 10 year old male and an almost 6 yr old female mix who came from MAGDRL. Both have been therapy dogs in the past (him more successfully than her), both get lots of walks, and both are fairly well trained in the house. She's a nervous nelly by nature, he's is not plus he sleeps A LOT the more he ages.

I'm already considering the normal stuff--individual spaces for each to retreat to, teaching the baby to be respectful of "their space", how to prevent something like the 10 year old falling on the baby on accident as his mobility changes, walking with 2 big dogs and a little baby, etc.

But would love to hear any general advice for bringing a baby into the equation? Resources to look into?

Thanks!
    Lindsey, mom to Zinn and Stella
    This was a while back, lol, but I remember having my hubby bring a (soiled) diaper along with baby clothing that had been worn back to our place for our girls to sniff before we brought our first son home. Honestly our dogs were older, around 5 and 7, and so they were senior-ish and didn't have too much interest. Our Dane would whine to alert us when he would cry, lol. Not that we couldn't hear him ourselves, but she was just "making sure" apparently, ha ha. 😊

Leave a comment:

• jrturk
    replied
    One thing we did was gradually bring in new furniture and baby gear. We set up the nursery and everything over the course of a couple months. Gave them a time to get used to some of the changes.

They weren't too concerned with the new baby. Once he got mobile starting to crawl, it was important to watch their interactions and have the dogs go to their place when they had enough. Now a lot of the time, they'll get up and move themselves when they need a break.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X