Best chew toys for puppies?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best chew toys for puppies?

This is my first post, so here goes. We are brand new owners to an 11 week old harlequin Great Dane male. He is a love, but obviously puppies need to chew. I am wondering what all you have found that stands up to those sharp puppy teeth and holds their attention? So far he likes his hard rubber Kong toys but he still seems to prefer area rugs and the corners of the coffee and end tables. So, a pretty typical puppy, lol!

Also, what training treats do you use? I want to make it healthy and not be giving him a bunch of unnecessary carbs.

Good news is, he is doing really well with potty training, as long as I watch him, and is smart as a whip. Already learning to go get a ball and bring it back and to be more gentle with the 15 year old cat and 12 year old pekingese.

If this post is in the wrong area, please move it. I thought it was most related to training.
    sigpic

Congrats on your puppy I am the brand new owner of a 13 week old mantle male, so we're right in the same boat!

I started giving my puppy 9" bully sticks last week. He loves them and they hold his attention for extended periods of time. I do take them away when they're about 1.5" so that he doesn't get it into his head that he can swallow the whole thing and potentially choke. I also purchased a deer antler, which he really enjoys gnawing on.

My boy was a bit picky about training treats, and the only ones I've purchased that he likes are the Blue Buffalo Blue Bits. There isn't any calcium in them, so the only thing you have to watch is how many you give and if you do extended training sessions, cut back slightly on one of his regular meals!
    sigpic

Comment

We like freeze-dried beef liver as training treats-- you can either buy the ones made for dogs and break them up into little pieces, or buy the ones for cats because they're already the right size for training! PureBites makes all kinds of freeze dried treats (chicken, turkey, beef, bison, duck, shrimp, all kinds of fish, you name it) and there is only ever one single ingredient. No extra carbs!

And as for what's stood up to Gracie's teeth-- absolutely nothing except her XXL Kong toy! (But your pup should have a little while before he can destroy anything and everything!) Gracie loves to chew those rope toys or the ones with a big knot in the middle-- they don't last a terribly long time, because she is able to rip them up eventually, but she seems to really like that texture and they're good for cleaning her teeth. Maybe it would satisfy your puppy's craving for area rugs! You'd have to definitely supervise that one though, because you don't want pup swallowing pieces of rope or string as he's able to gnaw little bits off. Also be careful of any toys with stuffing-- they love to rip those apart and as a puppy, Gracie swallowed the stuffing a few times when we weren't looking (there were many anxious days of checking her poop for the insides of her toys, hoping she didn't have a bowel obstruction.)
      sigpic
      “Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.”

Comment

Until he gets his big boy teeth, you can use bully sticks and they should last a good long while. Our puppy is more of a chewer than our older guy, and when he was little he really liked bully sticks, duck feet, trachea, and all those other nasty animal parts. Instead of a Kong I have sometimes filled a 3-4" piece of trachea with peanut butter and frozen it, and it's been an epic win. Check bestbullysticks.com for all sorts of nasty things he'll love. Now that he has grown up teeth, Eisen is really fond of his horn, but I have no idea where it came from. His breeder sent it home with him when we got him on Christmas Eve, and he's just now chewed off half of it, so they last ages. He likes antlers too, on occasion.

For training treats you can use his kibble if he's really really into it. For more high value stuff I use bits (like smaller than 1/4" square) of hot dog, cheese, boiled or baked chicken. Neither of mine were big fans of store bought treats, and still really aren't. We have the store bought biscuits for "crate cookies" and for all training I use whatever people food I scavenge out of the fridge. Just be careful of what you're using with him being so young. He might be more prone to belly upset because of it.
        sigpic
        Fergus
        SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
        Eisen Shark
        C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

Thanks, everyone! I've got some good ideas now. As irritating as puppies can be, he is sleeping on my lap right now and I am going to miss that when he gets too big.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gustersmom View Post
            Thanks, everyone! I've got some good ideas now. As irritating as puppies can be, he is sleeping on my lap right now and I am going to miss that when he gets too big.
            You mean you're going to miss him fitting comfortably in your lap without causing you pain because eventually half of him won't fit but he'll still want to lay there anyways? :p
            sigpic

Comment

I use a lot of dehydrated stuff for treats, and I just make them myself, that way you know exactly what's in it and where it came from. I do also use a lot of freeze dried stuff from the store, like liver. No carbs in that at all! Mine still like the bully sticks and tracheas and stuff that Suzanne already mentioned, and we also have one of those horns. It's a water buffalo horn and I think I got it at Petco. For outside treats I use bones like the big beef back ribs and beef neckbones. I try to stay away from the knucklebones and marrow bones because they are very hard and can cause slab fractures in teeth, especially if you have a serious chewer.
              sigpic
              Chaucey
              Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Working...
              X