to use a harness or no?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to use a harness or no?

My boy will be 1 yr old this weekend and we have gone through training and he knows how to heel, but it seems like lately his "puppy personality" is coming out more and he has started pulling alot and when we see other people or animals when we are out on a walk, he lunges and jumps playfully towards them. Now that he is nearing 120lbs and I am a small person, I no longer have the strength to correct him with his training collar.

I originally had a harness for him before we started training, but the trainer said that makes them pull more? I went and bought one at petsmart but of course, its too small around his chest. Does anyone have a harness they like or whats the easiest way for him to still be able to go out on walks and not drag me down the street?

Thanks!

I have a serious puller and we are working to improve it, but if I'm taking him out in public or anywhere I know he'll be crazy, I use a Gentle Leader. My boy is about 120 also, and I am not a small woman, but if he wants he can still tow me behind him like a kite with a flat collar. When he hit 9 months he seemed to have a brain fart and forget everything he knew, so the head collar has been a life (and arm!) saver.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk
    sigpic
    Fergus
    SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
    Eisen Shark
    C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

Mine forgot his training about the same time too, 9 months. He knows it, and will correct himself when I say heel, but then 2 seconds later hes 5 feet in front of me.

Thanks for your reply

Comment

I have a no pull harness from Dean & Tyler. I think it's a great product, sturdy, stylish, comfortable, good quality. But it didn't help curb Tucker's pulling. We continued with training, and I discovered that I don't talk to him enough. So I upped that to keep his attention. My trainer was recommended by a long time show person. I think she's great, and I've seen far more results with her methods. She recommended we use a prong along with talking and positive reinforcement. The way she described it, Tucker has choices to make. He can listen to me and walk next to me and get praise and treats or he can pull and the collar gives a little pinch. While the collar is debatable (just like every method), it has worked wonders for us. Tucker will test his limits a couple times, but then the rest of our walk is very pleasant for both of us. He can still get attention from people, but I like to okay it first and have his attention. Now I do not recommend using a prong collar without the advice and guidance of a trainer. You have to learn to relax while using it or you'll be the causing the pinch..not the dog. We were given specific instructions to only use it in class for several weeks until she felt confident that we could use it properly. It doesn't replace the training, just enhances it.
        ~ Erin ~
        "People don't buy what you do; they buy why you do it. And what you do simply proves what you believe." - Simon Sinek
        sigpic

Comment

I'm a huge fan of Gentle Leader. Gilligan is not a big fan (irritates his muzzle) but, he's more than willing to use it for walks.

Debbie
          Life-long dog owner, but first time Great Dane owner
          "Gilligan" (born 5.7.2013)

Comment

We are currently using a fabric pinch collar which was given to us by the trainer. The pinch given by this collar no longer has any affect on him. We used to be able to walk by any other dog or person which the leash completely slacked and not have him stray from a heel to our left. I am not sure why all of the sudden he will no longer do that, I have even had follow ups with the trainer and she just says keep working with him. I'm sure the people I walk by think I am crazy because I talk to him so much; praise for heeling and stern no's when I have to correct him. He had parvo and resulting tummy issues during the time that he really should have started to be socialized so I think that is part of our issue now; he doesn't know how to control his excitement.

What size gentle leaders did you buy?

Comment

Originally posted by LaineyT View Post
              What size gentle leaders did you buy?
              Started off with a medium size until he was approximately 5 months old. I bought a large size.

Debbie
              Life-long dog owner, but first time Great Dane owner
              "Gilligan" (born 5.7.2013)

Comment

I would do a no pull harness and up the training. The harness is for management, but then go back to either totally stopping when he pulls, turning around, or what have you. Do LOTS of rewarding for walking loosely.

Personally, I will never again use a prong. Too many dogs I have seen become reactive from them and they really dont do anymore than any other tool as far as controlling. A gentle leader can be a great help to, just make sure to acclimate them to it first.

Comment

Working...
                X