hates a leash

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hates a leash

Hi! My 11wk old Dane puppy HATES a leash. I have tried to get started with leash training. He sits, or pulls against it. When I tug to get him walking, he fights and acts like he's choking. I can't bear to hurt him so I stop. Any suggestions on how to get him started? Should I try a harness rather than a collar?

Try something yummy he loves to eat. Go out in front of him, do NOT pull on the leash, and lure him to you with the treat. Move away as he gets closer for a few steps, then give him the treat.

Do not do the "tug, puppy fights, then you give in and stop tugging" routine. This only teaches the pup that fighting the leash works very well.

Walking with a collar and leash on has to be more rewarding than NOT walking with a collar and leash on. Dogs do what is good for themselves. You have to figure out how to make it super rewarding for THEM so they do what YOU want them to do. Good luck.
    Tracy
    sigpic
    Mouse April 2010
    Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Also you can try just putting the leash on and letting him drag it around the house (supervised of course) with lost of treats and praise whenever he's not messing with it and biting it and doing his normal activities while he has it on. This will allow him to get used to the weight of the leash.
      sigpic
      1 husband * 1 teenager * 2 great danes * 2 boxers * 1 cats * 2 African cichlids * 34 land hermit crabs
      RIP Tyler RIP Smokey
      http://thegratedanegane.wordpress.com/

Comment

I have the very same problem with my 4 month old Dane. As soon as you put the leash on him, he plants his butt and will not move. I tried a harness as well as a collar; with the harness, he would walk a few steps and then throw himself on the ground and roll from side to side until I walked away from him. I spoke with a trainer who also suggested to let him drag the leash. I tried that for over a month with no improvement! We will be starting lessons with this trainer here in the next few weeks and hopefully she can fix it!

Comment

LaineyT, have you ever tried what mnmouse suggested? I have a strong suspicion any decent trainer would suggest some version of what mnmouse said.....

sigpic
          1 husband * 1 teenager * 2 great danes * 2 boxers * 1 cats * 2 African cichlids * 34 land hermit crabs
          RIP Tyler RIP Smokey
          http://thegratedanegane.wordpress.com/

Comment

Sorry for my late response!

So after one hour with the trainer, he was able to walk on a leash with the trainer and with me! We now are able to walk on a leash and heel.

We did try the food thing, but he associates treats with sitting, so that did not work for us.

The trainer used what she called a training collar. It looks like a fabric choke collar and she actually played the tug of war game with him walking down the street in front of my house. After a few passes, he was walking just fine and not tugging back. All of the training was based on praise, not treat rewards. This has immensely helped us!

Comment

Great!! Good for you! Sounds like you're on the right track working with a trainer.

Be sure to keep trying the treats. I know it may not seem like it's working because he wants to offer sits for treats, but that's because that is what worked for him to get a treat! As soon as he learns he can earn treats for all sorts of things, he will be more than willing to work for you.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X