help! he's making me NUTS!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help! he's making me NUTS!

Some of you may recall the barking issue we had with the neighbor. That, thankfully, has been corrected.

Ludo isn't a big barker in the traditional sense. He lets of maybe a bark or two at best, if there's someone at the door. He doesn't really bark at people passing by the house(inside or outside). He doesn't really bark at guests, sirens, thunder...anything that would normally trigger barking in a dog. He may get a bark or two out and then the quiet command stops it. What he does do is, bark at me excessively whenever I try to do something around the house...ANYTHING. Be it get on my laptop, take or make a phone call, sew, do the dishes. Anything that requires me taking attention away from him he goes nuts. I'm home with him so he gets tons of love, attention and play time. We're outside often. Weather permiting, we're outside several times a day for play. I don't know how to correct this. It's really driving me nuts. I tell him quiet, which works for every other situation except when I stop paying attention to him. He just barks continuously at me. I have just started to ignore him and he eventually gives up and lies down. I give him a treat when he calms down, but that usually starts the cycle again. What else can I do?

I would try to isolate him alone every time he does it and he may figure it out that barking at you gets him banished. For the first while he may protest a lot but you have to ignore it. It will be a battle of will power
    giving him a treat after he calms down is still rewarding him for barking at you.

Comment

Make sure you aren't inadvertently training him to bark at you. If he gets rewarded with attention AT ALL, or a treat, you may be teaching him that THAT'S how long he has to bark to get your attention. If you have a "go to your bed" command I would do that, or place him in a crate (where he can still see you) then "release" him when he's quiet. Do it without any fuss or eye contact and completely ignore him until hes quiet. Put a leash on him in the house if you have to. He barks, he gets put in his spot. He's quiet, he can get up. No treats.
      What worked to get him to stop barking at the neighbor? Perhaps you can modify that technique?
      sigpicSharon, wife, mom to two humans, one Boston terrier in training for therapy work, and Max, rescue Dane working through his own issues but definitely worked his way into my heart!

Comment

Working...
      X