Peeing in house

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peeing in house

Hi Everyone! We have a 15 week old blue dane puppy. He was doing good with potty training by going to the door when he needs to go out and we were having him sleep in our bed at night so there would be no accidents. Now he has gotten bigger and we leave out in the house with our other dane at night to sleep. Well, when I wake up in the middle of the night to let him out there are already a few piles of pee and poop. We have hardwood floors and he has already ruined a part of the hardwood floor that had an oriental rug on it by peeing on the rug and we did not know about it so that part of the floor is now black. So I let him out and he just sits there staring at me and when I get back up for the morning about three hours later there are more piles of pee and poo. This does not make sense to me since he is crated for 8 hrs. during the day and has no accidents in the crate and when we are up he 9 out of 10 times will go to the door - what should I do???? Should I gate him off in the kitchen at night??? I do not want to crate him because he is in the crate during the day. Fiance wants him to sleep with us but tomorrow he is getting his ears cropped and that is going to be messy. Please Help

RE: Peeing in house

I'm not sure at this point what advice to give. Is he on a feeding schedule? How long after dinner is bedtime? Is he allowed access to a full bowl of water right before and during night time?

I am having the opposite problem with my 14 wk old dane girl. She is fine all night, but will pee in her crate after only 1 to 2 hrs during the day. I am waiting for someone to respond to me also.

Would keeping him in the kitchen be that bad until he is a little older and has more bowel control? Would your other pooch stay in there with him maybe?

Jen

Comment

I am by no means an expert and my dane baby is 12 weeks, and still has accidents. My advice here is the reason your dane doesn't pee in the crate it because he would have to sit in it. Most dogs will not pee or poo where they sleep. So if you are letting him sleep with free reign then he can move away from his messes. So, you either need to crate him at night until he understands that he has to hold it or gate off a small area for him at night. But honestly even if you use a gate and keep him in an area it will still have to be small enough so he can't move away from his mess, if he can get away from it he will most likely do it.

Whinny my baby is pretty good, she never went pee in her crate until just the other day. I was really upset. She has not done it since. They are just learning and we have to be patient. It is our responsiblilty to teach them to hold it and go potty outside. Whinny still has accidents when she is in the house. Sometimes I miss the sniffing around sign she gives, and that is my fault.

So, bottom line is, that when you crate train you are taking the dogs natural instinct not to pee where the lay, eat, etc.( I also, feed Whinny next to her crate). So, I really think that you should crate him at night until he can fully be trusted to hold it.

I crate my dane all day too, and come home for lunch and let her out. I also, crate her at night and get up in the middle of it and take her out again. I do understan you not wanting to crate him at night because he is in it all day, but I really think it's the best way to potty train. She is really good about it. Besides who wants to sit in their pee.

Sorry this is so long, I hope it helps.

Whinny's Mommy
      http://www.PictureTrail.com/jneveaux

Comment

Our dane baby is 15 weeks on Monday and she does very well, but I'm sure if we let her roam at night we'd find messes in the morning. She is crated during the day (four hours x 2), but with an hour break at noon when my fiance comes home for lunch. We have a second crate next to our bed where she sleeps at night (good for bonding for her to be close while we sleep), and she never goes while in it, 8 hours from 10pm to 6am, no crying to go potty at night anymore either. We'll wait quite a while before removing the nighttime crate from her routine. I think at least a couple more months, maybe more.

I think you need to crate at night, but is there any way you can come home at least once during the day to give her a break? I agree that 8 hours during the day, then 8 hours during the night is a looong time for a pup that young to continually have to hold their waste.

Comment

Well I can only tell you what worked for me...Bishop was in his crate until 10wks old at night. After that he was on the bed with us. The last thing on his mind was getting off the bed and going potty. However, the first thing his toes touched in the morning was where he was going to go, so we had to carry him outside for months. He was 70 lbs. before we didn't need to do this!}>

Comment

Hi,

My dane is 11 weeks almost 12 weeks and he's only had one or two accidents since he joined our family(now 4 weeks). Fuego also spends the day in his crate and I cannot put him in there during the night... I could but I choose not tooo...

What I do is I have a doggy bed for him in my bedroom. I bought a 6 feet leash and tie him to my doornob. He cries if he needs to potty. It works fine. He can see me. And only ask to go out around 4:30 am... goes outside to do his thing and comes back to the bedroom and I put the leash on.. back to sleep he goes!

Maybe you can try that!

Hope my experience with Fuego can help.

Cathy and Fuego

Comment

the same rules apply during the day as during the night,
              that's why leaving him out at night has not been 100%
              successful.

If you absolutely cannot crate him at night, then
              you will risk him choosing part of the kitchen to
              use as his restroom - as well as any nighttime
              hijinx he can think of - eating floor, cabinets,
              walls, etc.

If you kitchen is that safe and a size he will not
              only not foul but not destroy either, you might
              consider leaving him there during the day as well.

An alternative for day &/or night is to set up in a
              corner or somewhere secure, an x pen. You can
              attach a top and a bottom (either a flat surface
              like board or metal flashing or out of wire) and
              that would give the puppy a 4 x 4 area - or however
              much space you would like to give him depending
              what you design with the panels.

You can get them in 4' high, the usual dane size,
              or 3' or less.

I would have the goal of short term crating at night to
              allow him to be free at night and expand his daytime
              area to the kitchen or an xpen'd area.

What has worked with me with dogs not crated at night
              is to set up their bed between the wall and the people
              bed, until he got the idea you could put a barricade
              or baby gate at the foot of the bed. Hopefully in that
              case if he woke up he'd wake one of you up and out
              he could go.

sandy
              http://web.mac.com/Witzn

Comment

I don't see anything in this scenario that is at all odd. No fifteen-week old has a large enough bladder or large enough sense of territory to hold it all night while out with the other dogs.

He probably IS going to the door, but you're asleep and he looks at the door for a minute or two and then walks back in and goes on the floor. Puppies in crates are motivated to hold it because they don't want to soil their "den." Puppies not in crates see nothing wrong with going a few body-lengths away from where they sleep and soiling there.

It isn't until much older that they get the idea that the whole house is the territory, and some dogs never have that sense. We're currently "fostering" a dog that belongs to some family members--they were going to euthanize her because she won't stop peeing in the house (she's a year old). Their problem is that they have a huge old house that rambles on forever. The dog can't possibly have a sense of mental possession over the entire house, so she basically goes to one of the back rooms (that she has designated "not my house") and goes there. I've explained this to them, but they refuse to confine her--they just don't want the bother--so she came here. She hasn't had a single accident in a week, now that she's streamlined into our much smaller house and is being sensibly crated at night and when we are not home.

Everything about training young puppies is setting them up to succeed. Keep that mantra going in your mind in every situation. Am I making success far easier than failure? Am I setting up this problem so they are inclined to do the right thing? Having a young puppy with the unsupervised run of the house for eight hours at a time sets them up for failure. Confining them works with their own natural instincts so that they're far more likely to succeed.

I am concerned about two things in your scenario: First, this puppy is crated for a LONG time. I am all for nighttime crating, but I don't like the idea that 16 hours a day are going to be spent in a crate. Isn't there any way someone can get home for lunch, or you can pay a high-school or college student in your neighborhood to come over mid-day to play for an hour? If not, I would recommend confining the puppy during the day to a larger area--a closed kitchen, a bedroom, two ex-pens clipped together, something like that. Lots of toys and interesting things with him, and you can't blame him if he soils in the area. It's a tradeoff you need to make, mentally--it's not fair to him to have him crated for that long, so you're going to have to accept the idea of cleaning up some messes. But at least this way you can choose the area so he doesn't ruin any more of your hardwood.

My second concern is the ears. Cropping at 16 weeks is really late, and they're probably not going to stand if you try to do a long show crop. 12 weeks is the outer edge for Danes, and eight weeks is what is considered normal. Are you really sure that you want to crop him, knowing that you're either going to have to do a short (more of a pitbull) crop or live with a failed crop? It's a lot of money and a huge amount of effort if you're not going to get the look of the Danes in the magazines. My own babies are now 16 weeks, and even if I were inclined to crop I would have abandoned the thought at this point. Their ears are quite definitely broken and the cartilage is very far on its way to setting in the down position. The harder the ear cartilage becomes--and by four months it's pretty hard--the less likely it is to harden in the upright position, which is what you want with a crop.

Joanna Kimball
                muchadodanes.home.attbi.com

Comment

Hi,

I agree 100% with all of what Joanna said.

Crate training is SO important for a puppy and has worked like a charm for me. I know you dont want to put your pup in a crate at night and during the day but consider the alternatives! This is not something that you have to continue for the duration of your dogs life, but as a puppy, you should consider it.

I am not saying to crate the pup for 16 or even 8 straight hours during the day. Make sure he/she has a break somewhere. At night, the pup will get used to sleeping in his/her crate and learn to love it. Eventually, the pup will sleep there with the door open (at least my Danes do).

The best of luck to you!
                  Ami

Comment

I have a 3 yr old Great Dane that has issue of peeing in house after we sleep. We pick up water he’s before we go to bed yet she still does it. We have never created her. She has her certain corners in the house that are full of comfy blankets for her. Does anyone knw how I can fix the peeing in house??

Comment

the first thing you need to do is get her to the vet to be checked for a UTI. if that's negative, it's back to house training 101 and crate crate crate!
                      [SIGPIC]

Comment

Yep put her in a crate . Take her out to pee before you go to bed and take her out to pee when you get up in the morning. If she speakes through the night take her or him out to pee . You don't like to sleep where you have peed in your bed and fido won't either . Seriously what do you think a crate is for ? I think you have failed to see the purpose of a crate.

Comment

First thing is a vet visit...blood work, urinalysis...rule out diabetes, thyroid, UTI, etc. Sine dog has never been crated the best option may to confine to an area of the house during the night..get a crate and gradually introduce .
                          sigpic
                          Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                          Associate Member GDCNE
                          Member GSPCA
                          Member NAVHDA
                          Member Central Maine Kennel Club
                          High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

First thing is a vet visit...blood work, urinalysis...rule out diabetes, thyroid, UTI, etc. Sine dog has never been crated the best option may to confine to an area of the house during the night..get a crate and gradually introduce .
                            sigpic
                            Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                            Associate Member GDCNE
                            Member GSPCA
                            Member NAVHDA
                            Member Central Maine Kennel Club
                            High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

How long does this process take place?

Comment

Working...
                              X