Crate training problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate training problems

Our Dane is constantly going potty in her crate. She's is 12 weeks old now and we've had her since she was 8 weeks. Her crate space is only big enough for her to turn around and lay down. We feed her in her crate and she sleeps in her crate. I take her out to go potty before she goes into her crate. But within 30 mins of being in there she pees. It doesn't seem to bother her because she will lay in it and sit in it. We are having to wash her off daily, some times twice a day. Does anyone have any advise on how to curb this behavior?

Possibly take her out even sooner, maybe every 15 minutes. Are you taking her out on leash so you know she's going potty and can praise her like crazy the moment she goes?
    I hardly crated when my girl was young, I kept her close to me, she went out every twenty mins or sooner at first. I tried to watch her body cues closely, if she was playing with a toy and suddenly was uninterested and started to get up I would scoop her up and get her outside, as soon as she woke from a nap, right after eating/drinking, even if she had just been out. I might give it five or so minutes, but she went out.

They have small bladders at that age and don't know(can't)to hold it yet, you have to get them out frequently at first til they mature more and begin to understand where you want them to go.
    Clean her crate with Nature's Miracle or someting similar to get all the pee smell out and try to get her out more frequently.
    If all else fails and you don't see improvement maybe get her checked for a UTI.

Comment

Originally posted by Loyce8869 View Post
      Our Dane is constantly going potty in her crate. She's is 12 weeks old now and we've had her since she was 8 weeks. Her crate space is only big enough for her to turn around and lay down. We feed her in her crate and she sleeps in her crate. I take her out to go potty before she goes into her crate. But within 30 mins of being in there she pees. It doesn't seem to bother her because she will lay in it and sit in it. We are having to wash her off daily, some times twice a day. Does anyone have any advise on how to curb this behavior?
      Is she doing this while you are there to see it? Is she actively choosing to pee or is she leaking while laying down? Is she on any medication that might cause incontinence? Have you had her checked for a urinary tract infection?
      How were the conditions at the breeders home?
      "I don’t care if a dog is 150 pounds or 10 pounds, and whether the issue is leash manners or biting visitors. There are no dogs who need a heavier hand—there are only trainers who need more knowledge and a lighter touch." Suzanne Clothier
      sigpic
      Rocky & Emma
      Follow our adventures at
      www.instagram.com/spottedangels

Comment

Working...
      X