More victories!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More victories!

Cas is improving. We're not where we need to be yet, by any means, but he's getting better with every passing day. We're still finding assumed attention exercises to be a challenge, but we meet with the behaviourist again next week and we'll discuss the challenges and see if we can figure out where we're screwing him up.

The big victory? At least half of the time he's reacting in some way, he's KEEPING HIS HEAD.

His reactions used to be "OH MY GOD ANOTHER DOG BARK BARK LUNGE BARK BARK BARK LUNGE TEETHGNASH LUNGE BARK!"

Half of them are now "Stiffen. Bark. Bark bark." and then he looks at us for a treat and calms down!

Where we live, it's literally impossible to avoid ever having a reaction. It's impossible to control things as much as he honestly needs right now, to prevent every reaction. But his reactions are reducing both in frequency and in scariness. He even walked past a pack of six big scary male dogs the other day and didn't do anything more than growl quietly under his breath for a second.

We actually had him in my work in the middle of the day today (I work at a pet store). Normally, we only bring him in for maybe the last half hour of the day, when there's no one around. He was in the store today and he only had two barking fits and they were the 'bark bark--look at my parents' kind. One of them was on the angrier side, one was on the "OH MY GOD I WANT TO PLAY" side. This is SUCH a massive improvement over where we were three weeks ago. Everyone at work was commenting on it. I just needed to share.
    1 Great Dane - Castiel (white-deaf and visually impaired). 4 cats - Shinigami, Peter Parker, Dial Home Device aka DHD and Mobile Analytical Laboratory Probe aka MALP. 3 reformed feeder rats - Steve , Tony and Bruce. 1 sugar glider - Donna.

A home with a wealth of animals, on our journey to becoming a home with a wealth of animals and a dearth of clutter.

Wow! Sounds like you are on the right track! Congrats on the breakthroughs!
    sigpic

Comment

Looks like you are on the right track! Hang in there!

Comment

Working...
      X