Head hatters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head hatters

Head halters not hatters! Gentle leader vs Halti . Has anyone used either one which would you recommend I have to get something ASAP!! Oh and does either one have any padding on the nose part?
    Last edited by Jen Mae; 10-13-2012, 12:26 PM.

I prefer the Halti brand over the Gentle Leader. I had 3 of the clips under the chin area break from use on the GL's. However, the Halti has a metal ring in that place & so far has held up well. Also, the Halti doesn't ride up as high towards the eyes which I think seems to be more comfortable for the dog. They have worked wonders for me with my "puller". Keep in mind that these are great tools for training but you should continue to work with the dog to get them to walk on a regular collar with no pulling. There are some (or maybe one) that does come with a padded nose strap but I have forgotten the brand.

ETA: They also have harnesses that work very well made from both of those brands.
    Last edited by mistified247; 10-13-2012, 01:21 PM.
    sigpic
    Roxy & Ace

Comment

I also prefer halti. I had a gentle leader and it rubbed too much on the eyes and I immediately went back and got a halti. I now have a beautiful pink halti to match my girls collar and she walks well with it. The only downside is when they get too excited it can pull back and rub their eyes still, but generally this doesn't seem to happen often and if it does, correct them immediately - I usually will grab the collar and pull the halti back in place and hold them in place until they calm down if a simple command doesn't make them listen. My girl was a little stubborn as a teenager but no issues now She even walks with a flat collar very well, but we generally use the halti anyway.

PS - the new halti we just got has a padded nose strap
      Last edited by muffy; 10-13-2012, 01:29 PM.
      sigpic
      Merlin and Rexi

Comment

Thanks very helpful nice to know they have padding

Comment

When we got Mister we tried a harness, a Gentle Leader, even bought a prong collar, which we could never bring outselves to use. We now use the Halti, padded nose piece and are very happy with it. When Guido came along we went straight to the Halti and have no regrets.

Comment

Does anyone have a link of where to buy a good halti with padded nose strap? I want to try one with my boy. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by KMS17 View Post
              Does anyone have a link of where to buy a good halti with padded nose strap? I want to try one with my boy. Thanks!
              I got mine at petco. They are available on their website.

Comment

You should really swing by the pet store and try them on. Once you know what size you need, you can go to ebay and find them in literally any color you can think of.
                sigpic
                A backyard breeder (BYB) is someone who has been deemed not a reputable breeder.

A "Responsible Breeder" supports their buyers, supports their own dogs, and supports the lives of any fututre puppies by having (and keeping up with) all the appropriate health testing suggested by the GDCA.

Comment

Yeah I got a pink one off ebay. My girl had a size 4 black before but it was old and grungy so we got her a matching one
                  sigpic
                  Merlin and Rexi

Comment

I have found that on a grown Dane I need the size 4 or XL size. My local pet stores don't carry them in that size for some reason. However, if you can't find them you may want to check out www.jefferspet.com
                    sigpic
                    Roxy & Ace

Comment

Working...
                    X