Submissive Dog Barking (NDR)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Submissive Dog Barking (NDR)

We have a a three year old mutt that came to us through a rescue. She's had quite a traumatic past and is extremely wary and afraid of new people. Nobody can really come close to her except my fiancé and I. She is never aggressive, only very submissive and just wants to run away. She gets scared very quickly and reacts to everything. On one hand, she is my perfect little angel. This dog adores me and would jump off a bridge if I asked her to. On the other hand, she's a terror when we have a visitor at the door!

She will let out bark after bark after bark when she hears someone outside and at the door. It used to be a couple warning barks, then she just backed off. Lately, it's constant. Her barking just goes on and on, almost like a hound how she strings her barks together with "rwoos" and howls. Even when my fiancé comes home, she feels the need to announce his arrival from the time he pulls in the driveway, to the moment he walks in the door. It's so obnoxious and ear piercing and downright frustrating!

I've recently read a thread on here about someone using an e-collar to stop their Dane's barking, but I don't feel that would be appropriate for our situation(I may be wrong?). For one, I don't have any experience using an e-collar and would be worried I wouldn't use the tool properly. Another reason is that Eva(the dog in question) is super sensitive to even a loud sound and acts very submissive, so I feel it would amplify her fear.

Anyone have any ideas/training tips and advice we could try? TIA!

~Dana~
    Proud momma of Diesel and Eva
    sigpic

Rest in peace, my sweet angel Dixie 3/2/2013

Yes, the last thing you want to do is reinforce the fear by adding another negative to it.

What work have you done to get her over her fears? Worked with a behaviorist or trainer? Click to Calm, BAT, and other ways of conditioning her to see people as good things and not scary are needed her. Its a long road but can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenmagick View Post
      What work have you done to get her over her fears? Worked with a behaviorist or trainer? Click to Calm, BAT, and other ways of conditioning her to see people as good things and not scary are needed her. Its a long road but can be done.
      Thanks for your reply! She has come a VERY long way with her fears since she came to us. We have not used the techniques you mentioned, though. I'm not familiar with BAT or click to calm. She doesn't really need to be calm per se, as she is pretty mellow and low key. I have people usually ignore her completely at first and she comes around to accept them as nonthreatening.

She gets out a lot so we can work on socializing. That has seemed to make the biggest improvement. We feel she was just not properly socialized and neglected in addition to abuse with her former life. Nowadays she will allow most strangers to approach after she's had the chance to "meet" them by smell, and as long as I am close by, will allow being pet without obvious signals of stress. I can tell she is still nervous, but I don't baby her through the interaction, and that encourages her to face her fears and she settles quite nicely into a comfortable and relaxed state with folks.

She really does try very hard to please and has made mountains of progress with her fears, so I believe we are on the right track with this. What I'm having so much trouble with is her incessant barking anytime someone comes to the door. She sounds like she's a tough guard dog and it strikes fear in our company, no matter how much I convince them she is more afraid of them than they are of her. Once I invite someone inside, she stays alert on the "intruder" but always quietly from a distance. That's the part we can get past by working her up to them, but all the barking prior to my company's entry is driving everyone insane!

~Dana~
      Proud momma of Diesel and Eva
      sigpic

Rest in peace, my sweet angel Dixie 3/2/2013

Comment

Give her something else to do Pick a behavior that you want her to do when a guest comes to the door. Something like laying down on a bed, or going into another room to chew a bone for a bit while you let the guests in. Start it when no one is there and then slowly up it....start with you or another family member she does not react to being "the guest" etc.

As she gets conditioned to feeling comfortable around people and is not as worried the barking should decrease as well

Comment

Working...
        X