Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

definitely NOT how you deal with food aggression.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• definitely NOT how you deal with food aggression.

saw this clip today, it was shared on FB by one of the trainers that i know.

he ignores all the dogs signals and provokes her to bite! poor poor dog...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=9ihXq_WwiWM
    sam: mom to 2 danes (Romeo/mantle merle and Daegan/fawn), and Cora, the ragdoll kitty.

"inside every Great Dane is a puppy just longing to climb into your lap"

I love when the cameraman says "She's still not submissive?" when the dog is averting its gaze, licking its lips and keeping its face turned down (without dropping into a fight stance).

The dog? Is submitting. It's saying "Hey. I'm not a threat. I won't do anything to you, nothing to see here, please let me be."

Even BEFORE it bit when he messed with it about the food, it was looking away and going "Come on, nothing to see here."

Idiot.
    1 Great Dane - Castiel (white-deaf and visually impaired). 4 cats - Shinigami, Peter Parker, Dial Home Device aka DHD and Mobile Analytical Laboratory Probe aka MALP. 3 reformed feeder rats - Steve , Tony and Bruce. 1 sugar glider - Donna.

A home with a wealth of animals, on our journey to becoming a home with a wealth of animals and a dearth of clutter.

Comment

If it weren’t that I feel really bad for the dog, that clip ranks high on the comedy scale. I mean, what is that? A new yoga move or something?

Ridiculous and totally unnecessary. Makes for good TV tho...
      Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
      - Anatole France

Comment

Wow, that was scary.
        What do you do in situations where a dog growls when someone comes near their food? Obviously not what Cesar did.. But what?
        My little Bogartsigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mohitto View Post
          Wow, that was scary.
          What do you do in situations where a dog growls when someone comes near their food? Obviously not what Cesar did.. But what?
          I personally don’t have a problem with dogs growling to communicate that they’re uncomfortable. I DO have a problem with dogs being uncomfortable with humans around their food.
          Basically you teach the dog how to be comfortable with you around their food then generalize it to any human.

Resource guarding is normal and natural dog behavior. It is easily countered, especially if dealt with reasonably from the get-go. Jean Donaldson’s little book “Mine” is probably the best resource out there on resource guarding
          Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
          - Anatole France

Comment

Is it horrible to say I was rooting for the dog??
            Tracy
            sigpic
            Mouse April 2010
            Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Wow, right before he got bit he's pointing out how the dog was relaxing. Obsessive blinking is not relaxing!

Comment

Originally posted by jrturk View Post
                Wow, right before he got bit he's pointing out how the dog was relaxing. Obsessive blinking is not relaxing!
                I'm kinda of thinking they knew this dog was wacked and he pushed her in order to get some good footage. I'm sure he didn't think he was going to get bit so HARD, but how can a man that experienced in basic dog behavior NOT SEE all the calming signals that dog was throwing?? She didn't want to bite him just to bite him, she wasn't attacking when he wasn't facing her, she wasn't chasing after him to "get" him. She's scared out of her mind and he gives her no other option, basically. It looks like it was done on purpose to me.
                Tracy
                sigpic
                Mouse April 2010
                Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by mnmouse View Post
                  I'm kinda of thinking they knew this dog was wacked and he pushed her in order to get some good footage. I'm sure he didn't think he was going to get bit so HARD, but how can a man that experienced in basic dog behavior NOT SEE all the calming signals that dog was throwing?? She didn't want to bite him just to bite him, she wasn't attacking when he wasn't facing her, she wasn't chasing after him to "get" him. She's scared out of her mind and he gives her no other option, basically. It looks like it was done on purpose to me.

Because he ISN'T that experienced in basic dog behavior. He likes to think he is, but he just isn't. He see's a lot of dog behavior but labels it as he sees fit, not as scientific studies and numerous behaviorists have found it to be. The dog is CLEARLY anxious, CLEARLY giving a number of warning signs (she tried to gobble her food up before growling, showing teeth, etc. and later on there are a number of fear signs and calming signals she is throwing him while he stands in her space like an arrogant ass and talks about how not "submissive" she is being. He honestly just doesn't get it, or if there is a spark of real knowledge on behavior in there he has sold it all out for the sake of TV. This isn't training it's mental brutality.
                  sigpic Halpert at 28 months

Comment

Originally posted by Quinn View Post
                    This isn't training it's mental brutality.
                    AMEN to that!!! i caught this entire segment on his show last night. i don't watch it normally but when i saw "yellow lab food aggression" in the description, i wanted to see the whole thing. it was heartbreaking to watch holly's reaction to his method. not only did he NOT know what SHE was trying to "tell" him, he kept referring to the dog as "HE"!!
                    [SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Quinn View Post
                      Because he ISN'T that experienced in basic dog behavior. He likes to think he is, but he just isn't. He see's a lot of dog behavior but labels it as he sees fit, not as scientific studies and numerous behaviorists have found it to be.
                      I guess that's what I meant. Think of the dogs he's observed--thousands. I guess he's a complete moron if he hasn't gleaned SOMETHING from working with thousands of different dogs. I'm just a pet owner who helps a little with rescues and it seems I know more that the great Dog Whisperer...? Crazy.
                      Tracy
                      sigpic
                      Mouse April 2010

Comment

boy he's gotten so over confident and macho, in the past he wouldnt have done this. I watched his show back when it first started, fearful food aggression was dealth with by rewarding a dog with praise or a treat when it showed no signs of aggression and trust building. He didn't force himself on dogs.
                        I remember a show about a food aggressive dog who no one could enter the room when dog had his food, the method used was a slow, with training starting over from quare one and I remember shows time lasped, break throughs were not acheived in a show it tooks weeks.
                        I haven't watched him in years, I used to think he was great and learned alot about dog behavior esp reading a dog's body, now I think it's about the thrill.
                        Last edited by angeldane; 09-16-2012, 09:27 AM.

Comment

I watched this last night after seeing the commercial for it. I was in shock by what he was doing to that poor dog . He's full of .
                          sigpic
                          Daisy (Shih Tzu) 3/23/2009
                          Brody (Shih Tzu) 10/04/2013

Comment

Did you see the updated vid? Some crazy advice/ideas on working with food aggression and very interesting how his own dog behaves around him.
                            [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXE-fwI0SWU"]Cesar's Dog Training Video: Aggression During Feeding - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

They don't really seek him out for attention or affection do they. The one just cowers around him like he's just scared to death. Are his methods just way out in left field or was this type of training ever considered to be a "good" way to do things?
                              ~ Erin ~
                              "People don't buy what you do; they buy why you do it. And what you do simply proves what you believe." - Simon Sinek
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X