Head collar models

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head collar models

Hey y'all! I know it's been a while, I miss my DOL fix! I have a NDR question today. My 6 1/2 yr old English Shepherd has been diagnosed with a collapsing trachea. He's never been a puller and walks well on a martingale or standard harness. ( I choose martingale over standard flat collars for him because he has a skinny head and wont hesitate to slip a regular collar.)

When I noticed symptoms several months ago, I switched to walking him in a harness exclusively. The sensitive area of his trachea must be either low or widespread because the harness also makes him cough and gasp if we put any pressure on it at all. I mean, just normal change of direction or gentle tugging to get him to walk closer.

The vet recommended a headcollar to take all pressure off the trachea. I used a halti with my Ivy as she was a terrible puller and it worked well for breaking that habit. I've never used one on a dog with good leash manners.

For those with experience with this tool, what is your model or brand of choice?

The halti seems less likely to ride up but I've never actually used a Gentle leader. Are there more styles I should look at before deciding?
    Thanks in advance!

Diana, Nick, Bingo, Belle, Sam, and Zane
    One man's trash is another man's treasure. Rescue a dog, give a 2nd chance, get undying love. It's a great deal!

I prefer the Halti all the way - lots of recent threads on this.
    Katie & Scarlett
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I didn't even think to search... Forum etiquette 101 huh? I've been away so long I'm losing my manners!

Diana, Nick, Bingo, Belle, Sam, and Zane
      One man's trash is another man's treasure. Rescue a dog, give a 2nd chance, get undying love. It's a great deal!

Comment

You might check into the Canny Collar. It's a head collar that works in a way that doesn't pull the head/neck sideways so there isn't as much worry about spine injuries. I've never used it but one of our trains/behaviorists uses it often & it looks like the dogs adjust to it quickly. Not sure if it presses on the wrong area of the neck but worth taking a look at.
        Last edited by thisiscyndi; 09-16-2012, 04:13 AM.
        "I don’t care if a dog is 150 pounds or 10 pounds, and whether the issue is leash manners or biting visitors. There are no dogs who need a heavier hand—there are only trainers who need more knowledge and a lighter touch." Suzanne Clothier
        sigpic
        Rocky & Emma
        Follow our adventures at
        www.instagram.com/spottedangels

Comment

Working...
        X