Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd behavior

Hi everyone,

My 6 month dane does a really weird thing with one of his toys. He has this stuffed animal and he just sits on the bed with it in his mouth and sort of flexes his toes/paws. He sometimes breaths hard too while doing this. He seems to be in another world when he sits like this. We can take the toy away without any problem. He usually sits that way for 20 minutes or so. Anyone else noticed this behavior and know what it means?

Thanks!
    Jessica & Moose

RE: Odd behavior

Sort of sounds like hearkening back to nursing/suckling?
    Was he perhaps weaned from nursing too early? Some cats that were weaned too early are known to suck on wool and will of course knead with their paws as though nursing.

Not sure, just taking a shot in the dark.

Comment

YES! One of my dogs does it too. She always does it with a fleece toy or her purple stuffed dog. I don't know why. She will let us take it too. But when our other dog comes to sniff it, Jade will move to another part of the room so that Brandy doesn't get it.

It is too funny. She just stares off into space just like your dog. Dane meditation???

Comment

LOL that is to funny, dane meditation, and her ei thought they were meditating when they were sleeping(kash sure sleeps a lot ) anyway, i have no deia what your dog is doing, but it sure sounds cute)

Comment

LOL Sarah me too!

Comment

Yes, Lily does that often, mostly at night, and always with a few favorite stuffed animals. It seems to give her a lot of comfort, and helps her wind down for the night. I have my glass of wine, she has her teddy bear, then it's off to bed for the both of us.

Comment

I have a friend that has a 3 year old female dane who still does this as well, she also wimpers when she is doing this.

Comment

Piper, my 18mo Dane, loves her stuffed groundhog. She cleans him and cuddles him. She likes to bring him with her. She was cuddling with her rope the other day, and she makes suckling noises and motions while she sleep. I just got her groundhog today...but she even brought him outside with her! Melts my heart. ​​​​

Comment

my 8 year old dane boy i obsessed with fuzzy pillows. i shudder to think how much $$$ i've spent to keep him happy. LOL! he will suck on his pillow, sometimes even in his sleep. he's been known to take them out with him when he has to go potty.

[SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                  X