Almost 8 months and biting at my husband and men

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost 8 months and biting at my husband and men

I have had Titan since he was about 2 1/2 months old. I have taken him through puppy training and basic 4 on the floor. He has done VERY well at the training facility but it is home that things seem to go awry. My husband has been bitten several times at work and is leary of dogs. He does not overly interact with them (I have a 12 year old cocker and a 6 year old rescue border collie pound pup). For some reason, Titan makes it a point to seek him out and has always barked at him or exhibited some other attention seeking behavior until my husband has thrown a ball or otherwise engaged. Often, he will grab his arm or hand with his mouth and my husband jerks away seemingly making it worse. Recently, my father was sitting near the pool in a chair and Titan went up behind him and grabbed his upper arm in his mouth. I know this has to stop ASAP just not sure how. I have a 17 year old son that plays with him and doesn't mind rough play.

Any words of advise?
    Louise Bigando

Originally posted by Louise View Post
    Any words of advise?
    Yes. First off, training is on-going with dogs. You can't just take them to class, get into training mode, train for an hour and then leave all that training at the facility. You take it into the parking lot, the car and then back at home. It has to be incorporated into daily life. Making a pot of coffee? Ask your dog to sit while you fill the pot with water. Reinforce it. Make sure they don't break until you release them. He has to learn there are rules to be followed. He has to learn that humans control all things good and in order to get them, including attention, he needs to be polite.

Consider keeping a short leash on him so as soon as you start to struggle with controling him, you can grab it and reinforce your commands. Think of it as a handle. In addition to controling him, you need to make very sure he is getting enough excercise and free (off leash) playtime. If he is grabbing a hold of people's arms/hands and "asking" for attention, it leads me to believe he isn't getting enough stimulation. Training is mental stimulation and it WILL make him slightly stressed and tired, but he still needs LOTS of physical excercise, and it can't be just leashed walks and tossing a ball around the yard.

As for "rough play" it can't be allowed at all if you want this dog to have good manners. He is young and needs things to be very consistent. Rough play is fun for him so as long as *someone* allows it, he will try it with everyone. As he grows, he's going to have real potential to hurt someone. Keep in mind that in most communities, even a red mark left on skin by a tooth (and I've seen it where it was caused by a nail) is still considered a bite by law.
    sigpic

Comment

While I don't have the experience others here do to provide training advice, I will offer up this thought.

Rough play may be fun when they are pups, but just think about what will happen when that dog is grown and doesn't know that kid of behavior isn't appropriate any more?

We went through this with our pup who is still much younger than yours. When we first brought her home it was a hoot to wrestle with her on the floor. Then we thought back to her 180~190lb mom and realized what a disaster it could become later in the pups life. The wrestling stopped right away.

Comment

Originally posted by Desertnate View Post
        While I don't have the experience others here do to provide training advice, I will offer up this thought.

Rough play may be fun when they are pups, but just think about what will happen when that dog is grown and doesn't know that kid of behavior isn't appropriate any more?

We went through this with our pup who is still much younger than yours. When we first brought her home it was a hoot to wrestle with her on the floor. Then we thought back to her 180~190lb mom and realized what a disaster it could become later in the pups life. The wrestling stopped right away.
        The only semi-physical play I do with Mouse is to try and shove him off the bed. He LOVES this game and it's fun to play with him, but I can tell when it's time to stop when the low, whole body circle spinning starts--lol. So I stop playing and he stops and that's the end of the game. I control all of it.

I would NOT recommend playing rough with any dog. That's what they have dog friends for. Humans have fragile skin but they still control all the good things that can happen for the dog--and that's what you have to teach from day one.
        Tracy
        sigpic
        Mouse April 2010
        Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Working...
        X