No announcement yet.

How to train excitedness out of Disco??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to train excitedness out of Disco??

Disco is great, everywhere we go, except when he gets to go to doggie daycare! When we get there he is SOOO excited!!! I mean, it's really hard to control him. I have him on a leash, and I take treats so I can get him to go into training mode...I have him sit/stay down, take a bow, anything he knows....which he does but as soon as I release him, HE'S ALL OVER THE PLACE, even jumping on me (which he doesn't do unless he's excited). I leave there sweating, red marks on my hands/legs from the leash and him. This is the ONLY place that he does this.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
    sigpic

Is this just when you pick him up or when you drop him off also?

I'm not sure how to (or if you can) train excitedness "out of him," but most of training is basically teaching dogs self-control, and it seems like that's what he needs.

I tend to use long down-stays to help calm my girls. I'll do a series of sits, and other commands that they know afterwards before releasing them. Also, have you tried turning your back when he jumps at you and make sure your energy is calm. I'm sure you're doing a lot of this, and hopefully others will chime in with some good suggestions soon.
    sigpic
    Brembo, Puffin, & Rahime

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown

Comment

Can you turn around and head right back out the door and make him wait outside until he's calm? Repeat this until he can be calm inside. Crazy inside = going outside and waiting until he's calm. Every time. If he starts the crazy as soon as you get out of the car, then right back into the car until he can be calm.

Right now, Crazy = fun doggy daycare time. You have to make calm = fun doggy daycare time and crazy = boring waiting.

Budget extra time for drop off. And maybe don't even drop him off if he can't be calm. Every time he gets the reward of fun doggy daycare by acting crazy, you reinforce the behavior.
      Tracy
      sigpic
      Mouse April 2010
      Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by rahime View Post
        Is this just when you pick him up or when you drop him off also?

I'm not sure how to (or if you can) train excitedness "out of him," but most of training is basically teaching dogs self-control, and it seems like that's what he needs.
        Self-control....that's exactly what I need, lol. It's just when I'm dropping him off. And he jumps whether I'm facing him or my back is turned .
        It seems like he can control himself in most situations, it's just really over stimulating him when we get to the daycare that it's hard to bring him back down to the correct level. The people are really impressed at how trained he is when I'm going through the sit/stay, down, etc..... I'm like don't be too impressed, obviously I'm not good enough to be able to control him when he's excited.

Originally posted by mnmouse View Post
        Can you turn around and head right back out the door and make him wait outside until he's calm? Repeat this until he can be calm inside. Crazy inside = going outside and waiting until he's calm. Every time. If he starts the crazy as soon as you get out of the car, then right back into the car until he can be calm.

Right now, Crazy = fun doggy daycare time. You have to make calm = fun doggy daycare time and crazy = boring waiting.
        That's a good idea, taking him back outside. I will definitely try that. Today I made him sit before we went in and wait, till he was released (because he gets more excited the closer we get to the door). I thought maybe this would calm him down (which it did), but the second he was in side, CRAZY DISCO!! Next time, I'll head right back out the door and repeat. Once he's inside and calm, do I praise, click, treat? Do I say 'good calm' so he starts to link the work calm to not being CRAZY Disco?

I usually have all the time in the world to sit there with him, that's definitely not a problem....just what I've been doing isn't working. I feel bad for the person taking him into the daycare area too. Once he's calm, he's awesome, I just need to get him there....
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X