No announcement yet.

Building a Better Relationship

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is frustrating to have a difficult dog in a big class. I know it is exhausting for me when Emma is acting up and we are only taking classes that are limited to 6 dogs. That being said I am glad you are listening to your gut and questioning the trainers. Too many people just accept what the trainer is telling them to do as gospel and in reality that trainer may not know any better than you how to handle a specific dog. There are many many "trainers" out there that read a few books, trained a few dogs and then start selling classes. Doesnt mean they know jack about handling certain behavior problems. Even highly educated and certified dog trainers may be using methods you disagree with. By all means stay in the class and learn everything you can as long as you are ok with her methods. Personally I would quit, ask for a pro-rata refund and find a new trainer if I thought her corrections were harsher than necessary and saw dogs cowering or frightened. That is not the kind of trainer I want teaching me or my dog anything. As I've said over & over - I want the kind of relationship with my dog that is based on trust, understanding, and respect not fear & pain. I like my dogs to be enthusiastic about training and I just dont see how you can create that with a cowering frightened dog.
    "I don’t care if a dog is 150 pounds or 10 pounds, and whether the issue is leash manners or biting visitors. There are no dogs who need a heavier hand—there are only trainers who need more knowledge and a lighter touch." Suzanne Clothier
    sigpic
    Rocky & Emma
    Follow our adventures at
    www.instagram.com/spottedangels

Comment

Working...
    X