Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Older Dane Getting Up A LOT At Night - Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Older Dane Getting Up A LOT At Night - Help!

OK, so I just wrote this BOOK of a post and the web ate it.

Condensed version: I need some help. My 7-year old dane (Ham) has started wanting to go outside 2-3x/night and I am really suffering for it at work and throughout the day. I've been pulling his water at 8pm, to rule out any bladder issues, but that hasn't made a difference. I have a hunch that this may be behavioral.

There haven't been any big changes in our lives, and the only things that have been different since he started doing this a few weeks ago have been triple-digit heat and disgusting humidity, and he's also been on an antibiotic and an antihistimine - which is supposed to make him sleepy!! When we get outside, he is utterly uninterested in going potty. He'll usually go #1 at some point, but largely, he's just out for something to do. When we come back inside, he usually eats almost a full bowl of food and asks for water, which he drinks long and deep. At that point, it's usually only 60-90 minutes away from my alarm, so he'll be taken out again before I leave for work, so I allow water. Then, he goes to bed and collapses, happily sleepy, and it's very difficult to get him out and out before I leave for work.

He can handle about 20 minutes outside when I get home from work before he starts getting too hot or too creaky. I've been eyeing two different supplements on Amazon, [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nutramax-Cosequin-Double-Strength-Chewable-Tablets/dp/B00028ZLTU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=141MYYNIXTZB S&coliid=I1GAOAH42EQOP9"]Cosequin DS[/ame] and [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nutramax-Dasuquin-MSM-Large-Dogs/dp/B000MCVGEA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=141MYYNIXTZB S&coliid=I2YACL7QCL94JS"]Dasuquin with MSM for large dogs[/ame], so maybe that would help so he not only is with reduced pain - and I wouldn't have to give him dog aspirin every day - but we could play longer and he'd be happier and more worn out before bedtime.

Ham is my first dog, so everything about his life has been new for me, including now, caring for an aging pet. While my gut is telling me this is behavioral, I don't want to deny him basic needs. Any suggestions you would have would be very, VERY appreciated. I just want all of us to be able to sleep through the night again!
    Proud mom to:

Reina, 11, Aussie Kelpie mix
    Olive, 3.5, Great Dane

sigpic

Because it's hot he's probably drinking more water. So, he has to pee more. I have my 11 yr old on Missing Link for hips and joints. My two other older dogs are on one chicken foot daily. All three are doing o.k.

Comment

Originally posted by CarolB View Post
      Because it's hot he's probably drinking more water. So, he has to pee more. I have my 11 yr old on Missing Link for hips and joints. My two other older dogs are on one chicken foot daily. All three are doing o.k.
      Chicken feet...

Are they in pieces, ground up? Or do you hand them a regular old chicken foot and they crunch it up like a creepy pretzel?
      Tracy
      sigpic
      Mouse April 2010
      Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

I've used both of the Glucosamine supplements you listed (one at a time of course) & had good results. I would suggest running some bloodwork on him to rule out a health issue. Any sudden change in behavior could be due to something going on internally. I wouldn't think he has a bladder infection since he isn't urinating more just wants to go outside.
        sigpic Brenda
        RIP Gibson 9/06 - 8/11
        Presley 8/96 - 11/06

Comment

I just give them one whole chicken foot a day. They love them. It's glucosamine.

Comment

about a year ago i had a 9yr old foster dane who was missing one of his rear legs, so needless to say he had some hip pain. he was on the dasoquin supplements and they really helped him. it was almost a double edged sword tho, he felt so good during the day that he would run and play and do everything he could to keep up with my 2yr old dane that at night he was supper sore

i know this is a simple thought but because of the heat is it possible that he just wants to go out more at night because its cooler and feels better then during the day??
            sigpic
            -Jamye: wife to Eddy; mom to Windsor (Great Dane), Dyna (Great Dane), Holley (Dsh Cat), Oogis (Maine Coon)

Comment

Could be, that's occurred to me.

Since we finished the latest round of antibiotic and antihistamine, he's been sleeping through the night, so long as I take him out around 11 or so. Got him a Kuranda bed yesterday, and he seems to really like it.

I got Dasuquin with MSM for large dogs in the mail today. The label says for all dogs 60-120 lbs, give 2 tablets a day for the first 4-6 weeks. Ham is about 135 or so, so I'm thinking I'll start out with the recommended dosage. I think I may also cut a tab in half and give it to my old wee girl (Aussie Kelpie/mutt), who is about 35 lbs. Hope it helps them both. If anyone has any other suggestions about Dasuquin or other supplements, I'm all ears, but I'll also be searching the boards.

Thanks again!
              Proud mom to:

Reina, 11, Aussie Kelpie mix
              Olive, 3.5, Great Dane

sigpic

Comment

We do chicken feet with our labx who has hip dysplasia, bulging disk, and arthritis. That being said he also takes Tramadol as needed on his bad days, I would say 2-3x a week. Its the only thing that he didn't have nasty side effects from. He can't take any NASID. I will say that the more he moves the better he feels. We try to give him a good workout to help build muscle everyday and it does help. Also, if you have access to a place where he can swim help thats a HUGE help!

Comment

Swimming is a GREAT form of exercise that takes pressure off the joints. It also helps build muscle even walking against the tension of the water.

We have a water pool in Saskatoon specially for dogs. They are so great there, making sure its a positive experience. Also our rehab center at the vet collage has a water treadmill. LOVE water stuff for these big guys.
                  sigpic
                  CHDANTRYDANES SUNNY SIDE OF LIFE- "Moose"
                  Born: April 10,2011

FINISHED IN 1 WEEKEND
                  Bitch-CHDANTRYDANES SHE'S A NATURAL
                  Stud-CHDANTRYDANES OUT OF AZORES

Comment

Originally posted by Gibson'sMom View Post
                    I've used both of the Glucosamine supplements you listed (one at a time of course) & had good results. I would suggest running some bloodwork on him to rule out a health issue. Any sudden change in behavior could be due to something going on internally. I wouldn't think he has a bladder infection since he isn't urinating more just wants to go outside.
                    I'd also have bloodwork done. I always have the senior bloodwork done regardless of age because it covers more and doesn't cost much more. Swimming is great excercise if that is an option.
                    sigpic
                    www.rescuemetugz.com

Michele, Roscoe, Ava, Romeo, (RIP Daphne)
                    http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=732e92418610139ae96918&skin_id=701&utm_so urce=otm&utm_medium=text_url
                    Be part of the solution by not being part of the problem. NO BYB's!!

Comment

Working...
                    X