18 week old potty training nightmare!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18 week old potty training nightmare!

Ok well I know there is a lot of threads about this topic, but i am going out of my mind!
    Our puppy well not give us any sign at all he has to go he will just start going, no squatting, no pacing, no whining. I have watched him so close and I don't see any signs.

We take him out after eating, playing, sleeping about every hour or so.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so how did you deal with it?

Thank you everyone in advance.

If you don't already have one first thing i would do is buy the biggest crate you can find . Are you familiar with how to crate train ?

Comment

Yes I have done a lot of research on crate training and I knew thats how I wanted to train him before I brought him home. I also made a crate for him I attached the photos so you can see, I installed a camera and it streams live so I can watch him no matter where I am.

He will not eliminate in his crate ever its just when he is out of his crate.

I feel like the past few months I have wasted because we have made no progress from when he was 8 weeks old.
      Attached Files

Comment

Wow what a good job you built that yourself ? Let me ask you something just what is your routine with the crate ? I don't know without asking but when you take your dog out of the crate do you take him or her sorry to go potty imediately ? If not that is what you should be doing . If it does not potty back in the crate and try it again in say ten minutes . If it is not pottying in the crate that is a good sign.

Comment

Yes we take him outside after being in the crate and he always goes immediately. Also I would say 9 times out of 10 he will go when we take him outside no matter what. It almost seems like even if he doesn't really have to go he will squeeze out a few drops anyways every time just because we are in the place where he always goes.

Comment

One sign might be if he is standing up in the crate he wants out to go potty . I know that is simple maybe you have done thought about that . Let me just say this the crate they view as their den they don't want filth in there den , that being said you make an area in the crate just big enough for your dog to stand up turn around and lay down again . That is all they need the idea is when they need to go they will stand up . You can be creative but you always allow for growth or expansion . Is this making sense or helping ?

Comment

Yes this makes sense, but the problem is not while he is in the crate it is when we are all hanging out and he just pees, sometimes standing in one place and other times while he is walking following me around.

Comment

Maybe something else going on here if i am reading your original post right , you are taking him out a bit to frequent if you are taking him out every hour . At 18 weeks he should be able to hold it like 3 or 4 hours if you are taking him out every hour he is not being encouraged stamina with his bladder and bowl if like you say you are only getting a little dribble or something to that effect . Be patient you will get there . I don't know if this helps or not but watching my own dog after sniffing to find the perfect spot for what seems like an eternity she will point her tail straight back from herself with a slight crook at the base before she does her thing .

Lord help me how did i get into this ? There is people here with words better than myself they will respond before long stay with us . Don't get upset because i laughed it is not at you i am laughing at myself .

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson1 View Post
                  Yes this makes sense, but the problem is not while he is in the crate it is when we are all hanging out and he just pees, sometimes standing in one place and other times while he is walking following me around.
                  Ok so are we talking in the house or outside when we say ''we are all hanging out '' ? And is We your guest or your family ?

Comment

Are you using jingle bells? Castiel also did not have any signals before he was pottying. We didn't perfect potty training until we introduced jingle bells so he had the ability to communicate to us that he needed to potty. He figured out the bells within four days of bringing them into his life and we've had exactly two accidents since then (one was diarrhea and the other was my fault--he jingled the bells and I told him to go away because he had faked me out two or three times already that day). I wish that we had introduced the jingle bells earlier. We waited until he was about eleven months, as a last ditch effort before we brought in a trainer. I wish we'd done it when he was tiny. It would have saved us SO MUCH hassle because he was completely housebroken within four days of introducing the jingle bells.
                    1 Great Dane - Castiel (white-deaf and visually impaired). 4 cats - Shinigami, Peter Parker, Dial Home Device aka DHD and Mobile Analytical Laboratory Probe aka MALP. 3 reformed feeder rats - Steve , Tony and Bruce. 1 sugar glider - Donna.

A home with a wealth of animals, on our journey to becoming a home with a wealth of animals and a dearth of clutter.

Comment

In the house with my family he will just pee without warning

Comment

Oh ya we have been trying the bells thing also since day 1, every time we take him outside we make him ring the bell, but it just hasn't seemed to catch on yet

Comment

Are you doing it every time he goes outside or just when you know he has to pee? If he's not peeing when you take him out, he won't make the connection. It may be necessary to crate him a few times, for a couple hours, in order to make sure he HAS to go to the potty, and ring the bells then take him out, then BIG PRAISE when he potties outside.

If you're taking him out every hour and he isn't consistently GOING PEE, but is just getting outside and looking around, he can't possibly make the connection between peeing and jingle bells.

You could also try tethering him to you.
                          1 Great Dane - Castiel (white-deaf and visually impaired). 4 cats - Shinigami, Peter Parker, Dial Home Device aka DHD and Mobile Analytical Laboratory Probe aka MALP. 3 reformed feeder rats - Steve , Tony and Bruce. 1 sugar glider - Donna.

A home with a wealth of animals, on our journey to becoming a home with a wealth of animals and a dearth of clutter.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoenix View Post
                            Are you doing it every time he goes outside or just when you know he has to pee? If he's not peeing when you take him out, he won't make the connection. It may be necessary to crate him a few times, for a couple hours, in order to make sure he HAS to go to the potty, and ring the bells then take him out, then BIG PRAISE when he potties outside.

If you're taking him out every hour and he isn't consistently GOING PEE, but is just getting outside and looking around, he can't possibly make the connection between peeing and jingle bells.

You could also try tethering him to you.
                            Big yes to everything that was said here .

Comment

great ideas!, I never thought of that, I just thought of the tether thing today and it seems like it could help a lot. And about going outside and not peeing.

Thank you! I least now I have more ideas to try I was really running out! lol

Comment

Working...
                              X