X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilkinslaw
    replied
    RE: K-9 Military School

I'm glad you asked about when to start this. Our baby, Electra, is 8 1/2 weeks old, and we, too are trying to get her housetrained and feeding properly before we move on to bigger and better things. Our main problem, now, is getting her to come to us. She knows if we're looking for her to crate or go outside, and she'll take off!

Leave a comment:

• Lital and George
    replied
    RE: K-9 Military School / Boot Camp Blues

Hi everyone,
    I am sorry if I am being a pain in the neck bothering everybody with George's behaviour. But I feel we need some clarifications on how to go on.
    We started boot camp three days ago. And almost all is well. However, some fear issues are coming out which, at this point, I believe may be related to George's trauma history (maybe I am going too psychological on him, in which case just tell me to shut up ).
    Our eye contact sessions are becoming a real problem. George just acts terrified! he sits there squirming, eyes dilated, incessantly offering me his paw, and SHAKING all over!. If he is not on the leash he escapes to his bed. If he is, the moment I allow him to stop looking at me (I have to restrain his head with both hands), he will bury it between my knees and tremble.
    We need to do the sessions before we go out, otherwise he will retreat to his bed. I am pretty sure this is fear and not rebellion.
    So the questions are:
    1. What am I actually telling him, in dog language, that makes him so afraid?
    2. What can I do to reduce the stress? Last session I used biscuits held in front of my nose (very serious pack leader ) and he would look at me, when he would start trembling I gave him the biscuit and we started again with another one. He consumed five biscuits in three minutes (two a minute, an achievement!). Is this correct behaviour on my behalf? otherwise how do I make him sit and accept eye contact?
    Another thing is the food ritual: he refuses it. Ever since we got home from hospital and went through our pre-food medication administration the dog retreats to his bed when I start messing around with the food and only comes out when I am actually walking with the bowl in my hand towards the place where I feed him. Since this is "good" doggy behaviour I never corrected him. Now that I tried to do the food ritual I see that he still won't come to my command or participate in it. And then again the question: do I leave him at that, blessing my luck he is not all over me with food? or should I regard it as part of his problem and try to treat it? in this latter case, how?
    The detailed story of George is in the postings on "is it fear or aggression?". I recognise that I underestimated the entity of what he went through and the effects on him. A word in my defense: first of all, we were both exhausted, happy to be alive, and busy with physical rehabilitation. Second, he is still a happy playful and tender dog, so these "traits" kind of go under a very healthy facade.
    however, at this point I would really like to correct as much of this issue as possible. So any help would be more than welcome!
    Thanks again to you all

PS - I have yet to figure out how this forum operates so I hope posting this question here and not under "fear or aggression" is correct, if not, please tell me.

Leave a comment:

• Lital and George
    replied

Jean, you are only lucky to have the forum's support and advise since moment one. And this is from someone who has a Dane for over a year and only joined in two days ago.
    Good luck with Tyla, and be STRONG. Dane pups are sooooo cute, it is sometimes difficult to be anything but cuddly with them.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Thank you, Lital. I certainly look forward to hearing more about his experiences with bloat.

mp

Leave a comment:

• Sharky
    replied

Thanks! I just get somewhat confused since reading the forum. I need to realize I have an awesome, family PET and not a show dog or a dog that I wish to breed. (This is by choice) Tyla was purchased to be part of our family. It was my husband's solution to having another child since our "baby" is 15!

Again, I am so grateful I found this board early on, I think Tyla and I will both benefit. As soon as I get my pictures, I will post them of my "baby"!!

Peace,
    Jean

Leave a comment:

• Cujasky
    replied

Jean, I think there are probably some things on the list that you can do successfully with a pup so young, maybe #1,#2,some parts of #4,#5, and #8. I would not expect too much at this time because you are doing socializing and housetraining. Work slow because your pup is truly a baby. As you pup begins to get older, you can add the other #'s on the list slowly. Don't expect perfection overnight. It takes time and practice to train a dog properly. Just my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Sharky
    replied

At what age should you start this training? I understand you should always work with your Dane, however, when should you start a structured training program? Tyla, my dane, is only 7 weeks old, and in my opinion, needs all the love and attention she can get right now. We do work on basic commands, sit, down, etc. I am currently working on trying to housetrain her and to get her to eat her meal, so I don't see how I can have her sit at the door before we go out, because if I wait for that then I will be cleaning pee up off the carpet and if I make her sit before she eats....well then she just won't eat.

I need some input.....am I on the right track for the moment? Should I continue as I am doing and work on building up to the other stuff when she is a little older? I want to train her properly now so that there and no (ok, I'll be realistic, little) problems when she is older.

Thanks for all the wonderful discussion,
    Jean & Tyla

Leave a comment:

• Lital and George
    replied

I know MP.
    Now, this is NOT published evidence. It is merely an advise from my vet who was a majician in diagnosing and operating my Dobermann six years ago.
    So, whatever this man says about bloat I BELIEVE IT!
    He says that bloat is due to stomach tendons laxity as dobeys and danes are long and lean. When you start moving the dog with a rythm the whole stuff inside their bellies could swing or something of the sort.
    He even cautions me against going down the stairs (up is fine of course).
    I was actually quite surprised at seeing that many jogged their danes. I avoid it and stick to throw and fetch type of games (or the famous rope and ball).
    Now you've got me curious and I will surely go back to him and ask whether there is any sort of evidence or is it just his personal experience.
    Will let u know if u want

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

That's interesting about the jogging and possible relation to bloat. A recent study was done in this country concerning bloat, but I don't believe factors such as jogging and such were included.

That's upsetting because many people use jogging and motorized dog walkers to condition their show dogs. And of course many other just like to have their dogs jog with them.

mp

Leave a comment:

• Cujasky
    replied

Well, Lital, the "prey drive" that I first noticed in EZ has turned into a game. A game of tag. I don't like tag, especially when I'm IT! I knew I needed to take drastic measures when she bolted out the front door last week and I chased her for an hour and a half.She would not come when called and completely ignored me. Due to her game and the ability to clear a three foot fence and eight foot bulkhead drop, I had been "walking" her in our yard to do her business and trying to play "organized" games with her, just to give her an outlet for her energy. I give her a long walk each and every afternoon. She's beautifully behaved when on a lead. Just don't take it off. I believe she thinks she's in the Indy 500.My last dane was wonderfully trained off lead. Maybe that's the problem I have with her, comparing the two. They are night and day in personality. EZ's obedience training with our trainer and a full beginners class starts this week. I'm hoping betwwen the boot camp at home and the additional obedience training, I can get her "roaming and running" urge out of her. As for basic commands, she has picked them up quickly. It's like the lead is attached to her brain and when you take it off, she loses her mind. She does well in the house off lead, but she can't escape. The oddest part of this behavior is that, it started after we had her spayed. I honestly thought that spayed animals had a lesser tendency to run and roam, go figure.When she's on her lead, I always go out the door first, the gates first, and get out of the car first. She will wait until I tell her it's fine to go, before getting out. Just don't take off her lead. She even heels great now(even without her prong collar).

The sit before she gets fed, was started the day she joined our family(we've only had her about 3 months, and she's almost 17 months old). My daughter has taken over feeding one of her meals to her and will not put her food down until she complies with staying in her bed until it's done. The "ear and mouth" thing, basically has been done too, since she's been here. My 3 yr old has even been seen to have EZ on her back and play with her ears, etc. Of course, they are always supervised, she's actually taller than he is.

I hope the running thing goes soon. I hate it. I think we should chart our progress and see how it goes. It's always better doing something like this with someone else. When you complain, they can relate!LOL!

BTW- I had a hard time not giving EZ all sorts of lovies last night. She too, sits by my feet when I watch the TV. She was having a bit of a time trying to figure out why I wasn't paying attention to her. Moaning, sighing, flipping over and trying to get me to play with her. It's killing me, but I know it's for her own good, and my sanity! LOL!

Keep me updated!

Leave a comment:

• littlmrs
    replied

Sounds like EZ is going to do very well. . . I'd love to know what differences you see in the next week or two--so let us know how it's going and of course tell us any stories that arise! LOL Amanda

Leave a comment:

• Lital and George
    replied

well Debbie, as we are common starters, we can monitor how our kids are progressing.
    How old is EZ now? Is she "going to camp" just for basic obedience or do you encounter problems, apart from the prey-driven behavior? George has had exactly the same behavior. I actually stopped taking him for walks in the fields, as he has to be held tight on his leash. He would chase anything, but never killed an animal yet. He actually managed to catch a wounded crow and carry him around for a few minutes. When I got to him, I was sure to find a corpse, but the bird was seemingly intact (apart from its ego, God how it hissed!).
    I found out that the ball-attached-to-rope toy is something that helps George work off some of this drive. He ADORES it, much more than any ball or outside toy. He would go on for hours. I actually use it as a regular form of work-out, as my vet says that jogging increases the risk of bloat. This vet managed to save my last dog, a Doby, from bloat, and for me he is Authority on the matter. He says all rythmic movements that involve stomach tendons are dangerous. With this rope the dog has a less uniform pattern of movement. Anyway, what is important that this has become his favourite form of "hunting".
    George had a bit of a freak out today with the eye contact part, but went mad with joy about the song. The sit before food and before walk we have actually been doing for a while, and daily obedience too. To be frank, the part I still have to improve is ME. The "he-has-to-work-for-his-cuddle" is really difficult as George is still such a baby and passes the time begging for love. When I sit to my desk or watch TV he would just come over, give me a paw, kiss my front or ears, or press the enormous steak that is his cheek against my face to be kissed... Half of the time I need to actively restrain myself, AND HE KNOWS IT.
    Best of luck
    Lital

Leave a comment:

• Cujasky
    replied

Lital, I started EZ on this full time yesterday, althought I have normally done some of the things in the past. Just one day, and I've noticed a big change in attitude. She seems more focused on me and is actually paying more attention to my commands(not 100%) but still more than before. I can't wait to see how she is in a few weeks.

Leave a comment:

• Lital and George
    replied

thanks a lot! this is an eye opener! George was on "half regime" prescribed by trainer for over three weeks now, and is already improving.
    We are starting full regime NOW.
    Reading what you all write is so much help, I am really grateful and know George will be

Lital

Leave a comment:

• WDM
    replied

>Ah, yes, Liz.... sure miss her inputs too. VERY knowledgeable lady!
    >
    > Astrid & Zoo

I have a "Liz" folder in the section where I keep all the interesting posts from various lists. When she had something to say on a subject it usually was worth saving. I have about forty of her posts that I have saved.

Duane with
    Ch. Geisha, Iris and Raven in
    Saginaw Michigan
    Great Lakes...Great Danes
    http://duanemorgan99.tripod.com/DuanesDanes/

Leave a comment:

Working...
X