JUMPING

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JUMPING

CAN YOU GUYS TELL ME IF YOUR PUPS JUMP UP ON YOU ALOT AND AT WHAT AGE THEY STARTED THIS? THE REASON I ASK IS BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN WARNED THAT IT IS NORMAL FOR THESE LARGE BREEDS TO DO SO AND YOU NEEDED TO STOP IT AT A EARLY AGE THUS WHEN THEY GET LARGER IT CAN BE A BIG PROBLEM. I WAS NEVER TOLD AT WHAT AGE THEY START THIS. MY PUP IS 14 WKS OLD AND HAS NEVER EVEN ATTEMPTED TO JUMP UP ON ME NOW HE DOES TRY TO GET ON THE COUCH BESIDE ME BUT HE USUALLY STARTS TO LEAP STOPS HIM SELF AND PULLS HIM SELF UP. SHOULD I BE CONCERNED THAT MAYBE HE IS HAVING SOME SORT OF LEG PROBLEMS TO PREVENT HIM FROM JUMPING OR AM I JUST BEING FREAKY BECAUSE ITS MY FIRST DANE PUPPY AND I DONT KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT? I WORRY ALL THE TIME.

RE: JUMPING

puppies at home,first learn to walk, second try to stand on their
    back legs upwards.From that very early age(5 weeks)and on,they keep on standing up easily for almost any reason.
    Sound hips should guarantee this upstanding possition.
    However it is not necessary to think that unavoidably the pup who
    does not should have a hip/knee problem.
    May be the floor is too sliding for him to feel sure enough to try to stand on his back legs.
    However we consider that standing perfectly upright is the best
    test for sound o/o hips and good knees, and after being sure that
    our dane can get to this position, it is necessary to prevent it
    since it will do wrong to his/her hocks when still pup or young,
    and if the dane sticks to it when a grown up,you can find yourself stuck on the wall like a beautiful painting!
    A visit to the vet.for hips and knees control is always advisable.
    Good luck
    susana

Comment

I'd be sure to ask the vet too. But I was very surprised with my puppy, my first also. He never tried to jump on me and preferred to climb onto furniture rather than jump. He has always been very protective of himself as a rule, though. Always checks his footing before he jumps. At about 11 months, he started jumping up in the air, though. Like a pogo stick! Now he jumps on the bed, which is a high four-poster, like a hunter-jumper. Runs up to the bed, almost halts, and then pops up like he's topping a bank. It's cute to watch.

He still doesn't jump on me -- it's never been an issue.

Comment

My pup has never been a jumper. He is only 6 mos old, totally goofy and he has just started jumping onto my high bed (with about a 70% success rate). I just figured Danes aren't big jumpers because they don't need to be. They can see you just fine!

Comment

THANKS EVERYONE YOU HAVE BEEN ALOT OF HELP AS USUAL.

Comment

Astro never jumped on us and always climbed onto furniture. Outside he runs his "track" which includes a 3-4' jump onto an elevated terrace in our landscape.

Ally has jumped from the time we brought her home. At 8 1/2 weeks she was clearing enough air to hit the couch. Today at 12 weeks, I've got 2 muddy paw-prints just below my chest! (I'm 5' 8") Pushing her off with a sharp "off" does not seem to be getting though to her! LOL I'm afraid I have to move onto a firm squeeze of her foot with the command also.

Comment

My new puppy Gunther is 11 weeks old. He has been with us for 1 week now..Although he dosen't jump on either myself or hubby when we sit down on the couch or a chair he insists on trying to climb into our laps all the time. The only time I push him down is when he is starting to push too hard or gets a little silly. I think he just wants to be near us?? Should he ever get the idea though to actually jump on us while we are standing I would definately "correct" him as I stand 5 feet high and I am sure he is going to end up towering over me one day..

BARB

Comment

healthy and sound hips and knees pups,will do what Barb says,
                in order to come closer to you,or even to ask you to take him up
                from the floor onto your knees,they stand up,holding themselves
                on their back legs,to an upright position.
                It's good to know that the hips/knees of the pup,allow such a
                position,but much better not to let him/her hold it,since it
                is very wrong for the pup hocks in that tender age,particularly
                when the pup feet are not on land, grass or semi-rough concrete,
                since sliding house floors make it more difficult to grasp ground and then feet turn outwards and hocks go automatically inwards.
                Jumping (forward in the air)is a different thing,it's a matter of back legs push,not necessarily a hips test as it is upright
                standing on back legs.
                Confirmation judges in France,up to 15 months,check general anato
                my to confirm the dog has every characteristic of pure breed,and
                no bad or light faults,and in that confirmation test,young ones
                are required to stand up (front legs on owners'shoulders)in order
                to visually evaluate moving hip/knee articulation degree.
                susana

Comment

Working...
                X