Dog Trainer Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog Trainer Questions

So I personally believe that part of having a well behaved dog involves training. I am supposed to get my first dane this fall (YAYY!!!) and have been looking for a good dog trainer (not PetSmart) for my puppy. My search isn't turning up much.

Can anyone tell me where is a good place to search for a dog trainer? What I should be looking for? How much to expect to pay? About how long is training? What all should I be expecting to learn with my dog?

This is my plan;
    -go to a puppy class at PetSmart (because I think the socialization is worth the money and not necessarily for the "training")
    - than go to a 'real' dog trainer
    - somewhere in there have my puppy start and finish the CGC test

What do you think of my plan? Does it look sound or would you do it differently? ????

I want to be completely prepared for this going in and not waste my time and money on a so so trainer.
    Last edited by Dane Happy; 04-19-2012, 11:08 AM.
    sigpic

That was my exact plan......and it failed. Harley ended up being the only one in her class (which did work well in training since she was the only one) and now I can't seem to find anyone to train her for her CGC! Oy! I really have no advice but good luck!! And congrats on your soon to be new addition. They are just too much fun!
    sigpic

Mom to Harley *Great Dane* Sadie *GS/Boxer* Sneakers *Bengal Cat* Lil Bit *Munchkin Cat* Boozer *Devil Cat* and Squishy *Hedgehog*RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Dane Happy View Post
      So I personally believe that part of having a well behaved dog involves training. I am supposed to get my first dane this fall (YAYY!!!) and have been looking for a good dog trainer (not PetSmart) for my puppy. My search isn't turning up much.

Can anyone tell me where is a good place to search for a dog trainer? What I should be looking for? How much to expect to pay? About how long is training? What all should I be expecting to learn with my dog?
      Where are you located?
      APDT is somewhere to start, but given that the APDT isnít too picky about who they allow in, Iíd simply use it as a very rough starting point.

IMO you should be looking for both knowledge and experience. I want to see that this person put the time in to educating themselves (and continues to do so) as well as having plenty of experience to add to the education. I believe trainers should be well educated about behavioral science and be able to explain to you what they are doing and why in clear language without attempts to obscure or confuse what they are doing. Anything that gets cloaked in euphemisms or other obscurities is a red flag IMO. Either the trainer doesnít understand what they are doing or they are deliberately trying to deceive you - neither is desirable.

Price varies depending on where you are located. Around here $120 for a 6 week class is pretty standard. I pay $15 per drop-in. Generally classes run an hour for 6 or 8 weeks.

For a basic obedience/good manners class, you should expect to learn skills that make living with your dog easier. Basic sit/down/stay, leash manners, recall, leave its, place or crate, threshold manners, attention with distractions, greeting manners both dog and people... And maybe a cute trick or two

HTH
      Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
      - Anatole France

Comment

The CPDT professional directory is another place to look. These trainers have to have 300 combined hours of in-home/classroom session hours, which can take years to collect. Then they have to write a test based on training theory and a bunch of other things. In other words, you can't just buy a membership, you have to earn it.

CPDT stands for Certified Professional Dog Trainer.

If you find a trainer or school in your area whose methods you like, I would bypass the Petsmart class entirely and go to the class with the actual trainer. Petsmart trainers literally go to a three-week seminar before they become "dog trainers."
        Katie & Scarlett
        sigpic

Comment

I would recommend a trainer that focuses on positive reinforcement training. Fenway started at 11 weeks and has done fantastic. We actually have people go on about how well he's trained and its a nice way of training. Get him/her in to a good trainer when he's young because you'd be amazed at how quickly they learn.

---
          I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?gfshiu

Comment

Originally posted by ouesi View Post
            Where are you located?
            APDT is somewhere to start, but given that the APDT isnít too picky about who they allow in, Iíd simply use it as a very rough starting point.

IMO you should be looking for both knowledge and experience. I want to see that this person put the time in to educating themselves (and continues to do so) as well as having plenty of experience to add to the education. I believe trainers should be well educated about behavioral science and be able to explain to you what they are doing and why in clear language without attempts to obscure or confuse what they are doing. Anything that gets cloaked in euphemisms or other obscurities is a red flag IMO. Either the trainer doesnít understand what they are doing or they are deliberately trying to deceive you - neither is desirable.

Price varies depending on where you are located. Around here $120 for a 6 week class is pretty standard. I pay $15 per drop-in. Generally classes run an hour for 6 or 8 weeks.

For a basic obedience/good manners class, you should expect to learn skills that make living with your dog easier. Basic sit/down/stay, leash manners, recall, leave its, place or crate, threshold manners, attention with distractions, greeting manners both dog and people... And maybe a cute trick or two

HTH
            I'm from Nebraska. CORH HUSKERS CORN HUSKERS!!!! sorry force of habit lol
            sigpic

Comment

Sorry to reply to an old thread, but we are in nebraska too - we just found out that a employee at our vet does training and she has great danes. Nebraska animal medical center if youre in lincoln. I don't know anyone else from Nebraska yet so it'd be cool if you were close to us for puppy playdates!
              sigpic
              Merlin and Rexi

Comment

Working...
              X