Hand Signals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand Signals

I have sort of an odd situation. I was running through Rufus' training the other night, and he's usually quite good about it, but only if I have a treat (very food motivated!!!). Then, I was getting frustrated when he wouldn't do a simple sit, so I crossed my arms across my chest. He sat! So, I tried it again, and he sat again. Then, I tried some new commands, adding hand signals. By the end of our training session he had learned the signals for down, no, stop, stay, off, come and good...all without a treat. They aren't any "known" hand signals, just stuff I made up, but he seems to responsd to them. So, my question is, I know some people respond better to visual stimuli, but do some dogs respond the same way? He isn't deaf, or even hearing impaired, so I'm not sure what the explanation would be.

Jennifer

RE: Hand Signals

Dogs nearly always respond MUCH better to hand than voice signals & most advanced trainers teach both at the same time to their dogs (& their students' dogs as well, if they have students). There are a classic set of hand signals for the typical obedience commands in fact. But anything that works is fine. A wit I know has taught her latest dog to "Down" when she says "Unsit" &/or crosses her arms (as you do for the sit). jpy

Comment

I think any time you enforce what you are saying with something you DO, you dog responds better. Dogs dig consistency. Isaac knows I'm serious when I give him a hand signal with a verbal command, because he can see I am more committed to the request and thus, he is, too). If I say "sit. . . ?" to him from across the room he practically laughs at me. But if I say "sit, please!" with an hand signal, his bum hits the floor, just like that. Incidentally, I think the saying-doing connection also works with praise. If I say "very nice; mommy's proud!" without looking at him or smiling, he starts to lose interest and isn't really focused for the next command. But if I look at him, tip towards him slightly, make brief, unthreatening eye contact, smile, and gush quietly ("who's the smartest snuggle-puppy? Isaac is!" <G>) he eats it up and can't wait for more. I'm trying to teach Isaac "the watch," so I've been gushing a lot lately, to hold interest. (Always looking for tips on how to teach this better, if anyone has insight.) And I've gotten a really good response with recall practices by being really animated when he comes and finishes neatly. Sorry to blab about my kid, but isn't it exciting when you finally tap into what makes them tick? So gratifying. :-)

Comment

Is there a website or someone I could write to get information on the hand signals used in the obedience ring? Kind of like the page in the football programs that show you the hand signals the refs use for penalties .

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Comment

there is no set signal commands for akc. You might try some training sites or books like the old volhard obed
          books. see the other thread on this for a basic description.

otherwise much easier to go watch a utility class at a local
          trial or check with someone at training class.

sandy
          http://web.mac.com/Witzn

Comment

Actually, we've been working on the "watch me" command also, andf I've had really good luck with touching his nose with the tip of my finger and then bringing my finger up to my eyes while saying "watch me". He just follows my finger up.

We're starting on our next level of obedience tomorrow (beginner, the class after puppy), and I'm going to ask the trainer to hekp me incorporate the hand signals. Also, we're going to start agility in the next couple of weeks...still need to build up his confidence a little (he still has a little of the post-abusive situation jitters).

If I ever come across a book/site with hand signals I'll post them. I know alot of primate communication studies use hand signals, ans I may visit their sites to see if they put up a listing. Interestingly enough, the symbol I thought I made up "good" is the same gesture as in American Sign Language.

Jennifer

Comment

Working...
            X