Koehler training

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Koehler training

I have been looking and looking through the past posts for the person who uses the koehler training method and I can't seem to find who it is. I have some questions on this method and am hoping to be able to talk with someone familiar with this method of training. Help! DawnC

RE: Koehler training

I've read his "The Koehler Method of Guard Dog Training" and although it's been quite a few years since I read it I remember that by & large I was not thrilled. I would NEVER use it on a GD - unless maybe it was aggressive & totally out of control & last resort. His book definitely must have preceded the "positive enforcement" generally recommended these days. Which particular training book are you talking about?

Comment

I've got the revised first(?) edition on, The Koehler Method of Dog Training. At first when I read through it, I have to admit I thought it sounded pretty harsh, but reading through it again, I can see some of the advantages of this type of training. My dobe I had ,I think may have benefitted from his training. I'm not so sure about Kaden though. He is 5 months old, and will heel, sit, down, the very, very basics. He is starting to gain confidence, and is becoming more independent, which is good, as long as he remembers that I am alpha. He is just very slow to do things, if you know what I mean. When I tell him to sit, it is like he says ok, just a second, and then mosies into it. When I tell him sit, I mean now, it may be a matter of safety, or just because I said, but sit means sit NOW. I guess I am wondering if the Koehler method can be combined with more positive reinforcement, or does it need to 100% koehler? Any suggestions? Has anyone else tried this? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!DawnC

Comment

Well, I have a dobie also and will be first to admit that they can definitely use a FIRMER hand. I think GD's are more sensitive - have you seen a piece that Carolyn had published called "Boot Camp" for dogs... that's come in handy w/our dobie. Have you tried taking Kaden to obedience class?

Comment

I have seen the bootcamp piece, even copied it for myself and a couple boarder clients of mine.(I hope that is allowed) I think it is an excellent piece. I haven't had Kaden in a puppy class. I bring him to the kennels that I run for boarding everyday with me for the socialization (and because he is so entertaining to have around!) The puppy classes around here are basically for the socialization so he already has plenty of that. I've always done the obedience work here, myself. Or had a trainer come to the kennels in the case of my dobe. We are just now starting on what I call the formal trainig, meaning that we are getting down to business! I have from the very beginning, not klet him do things I don't want him to as an adult, and he is very receptive to things, although very laid back. It seems like things take a little longer to sink in for him than what I am used to , but he isn't what I would call disobedient, does that sound weird? What I wanted when I got him was a laid back, freindly dog and that is exactly what I got, so I am definetely not complaining. I just need to find a way to train that is right for him. I was always used to high strung, more aggressive dogs. But I just love Kaden and will probably never have a different breed! DawnC

Comment

I have not formally trained any dogs for several - well maybe many years. I learned originally about obedience training in England and now cannot remember from whom or what type it was but I do know it was pretty close to Koehler. When I came to the US I trained lots of dogs of different breeds and all were trained in a very similar fashion to the Koehler methods. I belonged to the Obedience club of San Diego for a few years and took some of my Danes there so they could work with other dogs around. Some I trained at home alone but worked (practiced) them in areas where there was plenty going on.
            We owned Canine Security for a short time and took it over with over 80 German Shepherds in various stages of final training. All the dogs trained from there went to VietNam. They were first trained in basicly a Koehler method but with many variations as to the job or jobs they were required to do. I trained some of my Danes while there to do a few of the more interesting things like climbing ladders and walking a flat ladder, delivering messages and carrying equipment, tracking etc. My personal protection dogs were all trained by the Koehler method pretty much. All were Danes except for one Dandie Dinmont Terrier whom I protection trained just for fun really. He was also my demo dog when I gave ob instruction for a while.
            I know that Koehler has many, many detractors and find some or many of his methods objectionable. However I have never had a dog "with a broken spirit" by using his methods. All my dogs almost lived to work and loved it. If I hadn't been worn out most would have been happy to work or practice for a much longer time. I should add however, that almost all my own dogs, and those I saw others train, were of breeds or lines within those breeds who were very "up" type dogs. Very bold, active, brazen even. The kind of dogs who love to be doing something. I have worked with Danes from slow, quiet, laid back lines, who, while they did execute their commands, it took them a few minutes. They were not what I would consider good working material to go forward in Koehler training methods.
            I do know that Bill put out some incredibly well trained dogs in many breeds and I never saw or heard of dogs anyone felt he ruined or treated cruelly. The one thing that Bill has always encouraged was that he felt it was better to stop the problem NOW - rather than scold your dog for the next 10 or more years.
            I sure have found some of his methods handy over the years and they certainly work.
            It's been a long time since I trained a dog but if I ever did again, it would be his type methods I would use since really it is all I know. I am told clicker training is great but since I have never used it,I cannot pass judgement. I can however say that I have seen many dogs trained by supposed, "kind" or "gentle" trainers that one can pick out of any yellow pages, and none - not one, has ever been what I would call a realiably trained dog at the end. Mostly they were wishy-washy dogs who only obeyed when they felt like it.
            I can honestly say that some of my dogs have owed their lives to the training I put into them.
            I have not seen up to date books re Koehler so don't have any knowledge of what they might contain. Others still active in obedience and working dogs probably would however.
            Liz

Comment

There is a site at http://www.koehlerdogtraining.com/ that has an overview of the Koehler Training Method.

http://www.danesonline.com/images/paul.gif

Comment

LizK,
                Would you mind if I e-mail you? I think it was probably you, who I was trying to find in old posts. I have a few questions specific to Kaden that I'd like to run by you. DawnC

Comment

Thanks Paul, I'll give the sight a try. DawnC

Comment

Not at all. You can reach me at
                    elizabethk@earthlink.net
                    Liz

Comment

Working...
                    X