A thing for stairs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A thing for stairs

Hey there--Moose has discovered that he likes to play on the stairs. Shouldn't I discourage this? He is getting better on his feet now as far as clumsiness--but I still worry. He likes to go and put his rear on one step and his front legs on one step down. He looks so cute when he does this--sort of like the danes I've seen with their rears on the sofa and feet on the floor. Comments or suggestions?

RE: A thing for stairs

Hey there--Moose has discovered that he likes to play on the stairs.
    YES. no better way for a dane to get hurt than stairs.
    Comments or suggestions?
    GATE OFF or otherwise secure a barrier & keep the dog from both climbing and playing on the stairs if you want to avoid the lameness & injuries that typically develop in Dane pups (under a year) who routinely navigate up & down stairwells of more than 3-4 broad, shallow steps. (Upstairs was just not meant for Danes.)
    regards/jpy

Comment

After all I've read and learned about great danes this post worried me (we are about four weeks away from our baby coming home). The trouble is we live on the second floor and everything I've read mentions that stairs are very bad for a growing pup. We have two sets (back and front). The front steps are wider and carpeted. The back are wooden outdoor stairs. What steps should we take to insure that the puppy does not develop lameness? My fiance works downstairs so the puppy will be with him downstairs during the day.

Comment

Well, you could carry your baby up and down the stairs until he gets too heavy ...

Comment

We have a nine week old pup and our home is a raised ranch, the only way I could think of to solve that problem, is to carry the pup up and down the stairs. In a few months, I will most likely have very strong arms: ) Good luck with your new pup!

Comment

Hola y espero que puedan leer esto en Espaņol. Debido al rapido crecimiento del Gran Danes en su primer aņo de vida. Su estructura es muy sencible a posturas no adecuadas. si su Gran Danes se encuentra en esta eda entoces las escaleras pueden ser peligrosas para su formacion. Por otra parte debido a su enorme estatura, es natural que esa postura les sea comoda. Sobre todo para descansar. Si su mascota en mayor que el aņo de vida y no tiene deficiencias de Calcio, entoces no debe tener ninguntipo de preocupacion. Yo tenia una Gran Danes que adoraba esa postura para sentarse el la puerta de la casa. Y no tubo ningun problema. Saludos Dragonwisper....

Comment

The breeder we went through screened us so carefully. She was adamant to not sell to us if the pup would ever go on stairs. We do have stairs to our lower level, so we have a wonderfully ugly piece of plywood blocking her access inside and outside on the deck. She knows she isn't allowed, but now uses the clatter the board makes to let us know when she needs to go outside. She learned quickly that we jump when she tries to move the board.

I don't know what you should do. Are you sure this is the right time to get a dane puppy? As I understand you don't have it home yet. It'd be so sad to have it develop joint problems for the rest of it's life because of the stairs. They grow pretty fast so I can't see you carrying it. Ours was 39 lbs when we got her at 3 months and now at 7 months she's 102 pounds & 31 inches high. Even if I could lift her, her legs would dangle all over the place. Please think about that one, okay.

Comment

Working...
              X