Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe this was already answered, but it is taking me forever to read all of the long responses lol but are you getting 2 pups from the same breeder?? 2 litters only 6 months apart? I am currently awaiting a pup from my breeder and I liked a merle and a mantle and she told me that having two pups at the same time is a bad idea. She was talking about litter mates, but sure the same goes for two other dogs. She said they will bond to each other and not to you, and will cause many problems. I have bought a dog from a backyard breeder before and didn't know the difference, but now that I do I will never do it again!! Always find a reputable breeder who does health testing and dose not just breed to make money. If they own both parents that is also a sign to go somewhere else. Sorry if I repeated what others have stated, I'm just trying to give you advice that was shared with me best of luck!

Comment

I would just like to say "thank you" for not getting upset. You've taken some pretty harsh criticism on this post and have done so gracefully, IMO. It's kind of refreshing! If you want to find a good, reputable breeder, I'd start by looking into a Dane club in your area. This might take a few 100 miles depending on where you are located. Going to dog shows is another good way to at least make a connection. Since you are a first time Dane owner, you might have a hard time getting a Dane from a reputable breeder...especially if they have never met you before and know nothing about you. Just fair warning..don't get discouraged. You had said in another one of your posts that you were looking at that age gap because you'd have time to get your Dane trained, etc. I can only vouch for my "teenage Dane", but there are days where he masters his "selective listening" skills.
      ~ Erin ~
      "People don't buy what you do; they buy why you do it. And what you do simply proves what you believe." - Simon Sinek
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dane Happy View Post
        I'm really not trying to put myself in the line of fire by posting this. But I thought for the sake of the argument I would write this post so that you guys can see where I stand and being the experts let me know if I am wrong or right. I respect the opinions of those here, otherwise I wouldn't be posting this.

After reading this thread and a couple others this is what I've gathered;

- weather or not this is a good idea partially depends on me. If I am up to the challenge of raising two pups six months apart in age and with the right resources, it can work. Some don't want that added work and for that person it would be a bad idea.
        - everything needs to be done separately until both pups are properly trained.
        - a reliable responsible breeder is important for the extra support and knowledge
        - a trainer who will be there to help through training is important

Please understand that I am not here to say that I am the expert. I feel you are more knowledgeable than I on this matter which is why I am asking the question. What do I need to do to prepare myself for this process? What other things should I know that I don't? In what circumstances wont this work?

For all those who have answered and those who continue to answer, I thank you for your comments and your time.
        I think/hope you understand the responsible breeder part. I’m not going to make absolute statements, but I find it very hard to believe that a responsible, ethical breeder would be talking to you about back to back pups. But I think that’s been covered

In answer to your other questions, *can* it be done? Sure. One of our danes and a mutt are 6 months apart, they’re now three and almost four, and we’re all still alive and I only have a slight twitch But its long been established that no one in this household falls within the range of normal to begin with.

But I guess my question to you is the same as Ellie&moose’s. Why would you want to have what boils down to two Tazmanian Devils in your house at the same time? I think if you can tell us your reasoning, we can better answer if this is a good option for you or not - does that make sense?
        Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
        - Anatole France

Comment

I added one of my Danes at 11 month of age at the same time as we were fostering a mastiff pitbul mix ( 2 years old ) Those two played every day until the cows came home which was great as they tired each other out BUT our Dane did not bond with us until the foster found her forever home . Just someting to think about . Good luck
          sigpic

Comment

I foster all types of dogs of different breeds, age, and sex. Most and maybe all of us who continuously foster have at least one residence dog. Can you image how many shelter dogs would needlessly die if we followed this same age, close in age rule that some want to force on others. To the OP, I think you are pretty good at self assessment but do have a plan B, that would be wise.

It may or may not be helpful to read this site. Pros and Cons of Raising Littermates

Read the comments after the article, they seem genuinely honest and if you look at the survey, the success results are:

14% No, had to give up

64% Yes, my puppies bloomed into great dogs

22% Yes, but my puppies are too attached to each other

251 people have voted in this poll.

Comment

You know, I would be less concerned about the two pups at one time if you weren't a first time dane (dog?) owner, and it was sure they were from reputable breeders. But from the info given, that doesn't seem to be the case. So in short, I would focus more on making sure you have a good breeder first to maximise your chances of a well adjusted, healthy puppy, as raising two danes with bad temperaments & health at the same time would be a challenge for ANYONE, let alone a first time Dane owner.

That being said, as it has been mentioned before, you'd be hard pushed to find a good breeder who will let you go with two pups at the same time unless you have experience with the breed, and IMO, that makes sense. It's too much of a risk for them. I hope that not being able to find a good breeder who will let you go with two pups will push you towards a BYB, I hope you can see their point, and I really hope whatever you chose, it works out for you!
              sigpic

Comment

I would be happy to help you find a good breeder and/or give you advice on the breeder you are currently working with. Just shoot me a PM.
                Meg
                AeroDanes

Comment

Originally posted by DPU View Post
                  I foster all types of dogs of different breeds, age, and sex. Most and maybe all of us who continuously foster have at least one residence dog. Can you image how many shelter dogs would needlessly die if we followed this same age, close in age rule that some want to force on others. To the OP, I think you are pretty good at self assessment but do have a plan B, that would be wise.

It may or may not be helpful to read this site. Pros and Cons of Raising Littermates

Read the comments after the article, they seem genuinely honest and if you look at the survey, the success results are:

14% No, had to give up

64% Yes, my puppies bloomed into great dogs

22% Yes, but my puppies are too attached to each other

251 people have voted in this poll.
                  Again, I ask you, are all the trainers and behavioralists who warn against raising two puppies wrong? Are they making things up? They’re the ones who have to deal with the aftermath when the two puppies thing doesn’t work out...

Nobody is forcing any “rule” on others - at least that’s not what I see. The OP is talking about BUYING two pups, not rescuing, not fostering.

I also think its important to keep breed traits in mind when making this type of decision. Danes are not retrievers or hounds. There’s a difference between a dog bred to work and scent together and a dog bred to guard.
                  - Anatole France

Comment

Just sharing information from people who have actually raised puppies of the same age or close to in age. I saw at least two comments from Dane owners after the article. I think their stories and opinions have more relevance. Its my experience that a number of trainers and behaviorist stay clear of problem behaviors like aggression. Too bad those 14% who gave up and I wonder if its because they really made a mess of things and no professional was available or willing to help.

Comment

Originally posted by DPU View Post
                      Just sharing information from people who have actually raised puppies of the same age or close to in age. I saw at least two comments from Dane owners after the article. I think their stories and opinions have more relevance. Its my experience that a number of trainers and behaviorist stay clear of problem behaviors like aggression. Too bad those 14% who gave up and I wonder if its because they really made a mess of things and no professional was available or willing to help.
                      Gotcha.
                      I guess you missed the part about two of mine being six months apart.
                      Either that or you just generally feel my opinion has no relevance.
                      - Anatole France

Comment

Originally posted by ouesi View Post
                        Gotcha.
                        No and no.

I do hope my postings is helpful to the OP.

Comment

Originally posted by ouesi View Post
                          Gotcha.
                          Ouesi I dont think DPU meant it that way. I dont think DPU was referring to you but to prior comments. My impression from the comments between you two are that this is a misunderstanding.

Thank you both for your comments and sharing your opinions with me.

I will respond to everyone else when I can, i'm a little busy at the moment sorry.
                          sigpic

Comment

You should read the stories of some of our other members who have had littermates. Not exactly the same situation, but close enough to what you are looking to experience.

Roosevelt and Me (he was originally Roosevelt and Winston)

Navy Wife - Apollo and Zeus

Article: Problems Associated With Adopting Two Puppies at the Same Time

*vent* on breeders who sell littermates together

Also look thru our archives for "littermates". There is a wealth of information that can be found using our search function.
                            sigpic
                            In Memory of Sky, EZ and Honor

Visit Poke's Facebook Page

Member of the GDC of MD.
                            Well behaved danes are not born. They are “made” by responsible and caring dane owners.

Comment

Working...
                            X