This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thisiscyndi View Post
    Interesting that the breeder seems to have new pups ready to go every 6 months. Is this from the same breeding pair each time?
    Same thoughts on this as you & Charlene.
    sigpic
    Roxy & Ace

Comment

Both dogs need seprate EVERYTHING. Their own kennel, their own training time, their own walks. If your raise them this close in age and to not keep them apart quite a bit, they will become dependant on each other and a whole host of behavior problems will stem from that.

More than one person has gotten on here happy about their two dane puppies and saddly it has often ended with one of the two put down or re-homed for behavior issues.

You will do what you want, none of us can stop you. But be warned, if your not fully commited to raiseing to puppies as their own individual dog you will not get to the point of owning 2 adult dogs. No matter what your saying now about your dogs being family, there comes a breaking point that might just change your mind. And while the heartbreaking choice will seem like your only way to be fair to the dogs, you had the option to take the advice of many people and articles saying DON'T DO IT.
      sigpic
      "Show me your dog, and I will tell you what manner of man you are."
      ~Capt. Max von Stephanitz
      Anubis CGC (RIP) , Cheza CGC, Schwarz Frost von Lichtefeld CGCA THD TDIA, Steele Gunner Goatsbane CGCA, and Professional House Dog Oliver.

Comment

Saw this on another list and thought it had good information for this thread:

http://www.daynakingreatdanes.com/Tw...Together_.html
        Melisa, Bentley and Ella
        www.landmarkdanes.weebly.com

CH Divine Acres Livin' in the Fast Lane "Bentley"

Divine Acres Busy Being Fabulous "Ella"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thisiscyndi View Post
          Interesting that the breeder seems to have new pups ready to go every 6 months. Is this from the same breeding pair each time?

No it's not from the same breeding pair.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brindle baby View Post
            I hope you really take to heart what we are saying, NO good breeder will tell a first time dane owner it is ok to get two puppies at the same time or close together.

You WILL feel like, when the pup is 6 months old, that you can handle another. This is because your first is still being an angel and hasn't reached the teenage phase we all talk about on here. It seems like after the advice on here clearly says do not do this you are still saying you are going to anyway. So why come and ask?

I don't know maybe I worded my original post wrong and the fault was on my end. But I didn't ask for anyone to make this decision for me. I asked to be provided with information that would help me make the best choice. There are several posts here that state if this if that if this also, it can work.
            Last edited by Dane Happy; 03-19-2012, 08:12 PM. Reason: spelling
            sigpic

Comment

I'm really not trying to put myself in the line of fire by posting this. But I thought for the sake of the argument I would write this post so that you guys can see where I stand and being the experts let me know if I am wrong or right. I respect the opinions of those here, otherwise I wouldn't be posting this.

After reading this thread and a couple others this is what I've gathered;

- weather or not this is a good idea partially depends on me. If I am up to the challenge of raising two pups six months apart in age and with the right resources, it can work. Some don't want that added work and for that person it would be a bad idea.
              - everything needs to be done separately until both pups are properly trained.
              - a reliable responsible breeder is important for the extra support and knowledge
              - a trainer who will be there to help through training is important

Please understand that I am not here to say that I am the expert. I feel you are more knowledgeable than I on this matter which is why I am asking the question. What do I need to do to prepare myself for this process? What other things should I know that I don't? In what circumstances wont this work?

For all those who have answered and those who continue to answer, I thank you for your comments and your time.
              sigpic

Comment

Keep in mind that even if you do everything right, you'll still have two dogs that are going to hit maturity around the same time, and things can always change when the hormones hit and they're not puppies anymore.
                Zephyr CGN, RE, TT- crazy harlequin
                Divine Acres Riddle Me This- regal fawn

http://thegrownups.ca/ on life and (not) growing up.

Comment

First and foremost find an ethical breeder that breeds health tested parents with correct temperaments. Read every thing you can to educate yourself on the health issues of this breed and find a breeder that tests their stock to try and minimize the risks. Make sure your breeder has a reputation for buyer support for the life of the pups they produce. Keep in mind, cheaper is not the best choice when choosing a quality breeder and litter. As I suggested before, go thru the threads on this site and see the pit falls of not doing your research thoroughly. I say find a great breeder and create a relationship with that breeder.
                  sigpic

My dogs may not be my whole life, but they make my life whole.

www.SteelRoseGreatDanes.com

Comment

Thank you for taking your time with this but I will say that I believe NO is the answer and this is why...

No ethical, responsible breeder will sell a new dane owner two pups that close in age, period.

So in order for you to even start in this venture you would have to find and support a bad breeder. So the answer is simply no. No matter how separate you keep them, how many trainers you have, how much money you have to get two danes spayed/neutered at the same time (I paid nearly $700 to neuter my dane last year), etc. etc. you are still lining the pockets of a less than ethical breeder and that is not acceptable in my opinion.

I think you sound like you will be a wonderful dane owner, I just hope that you enjoy and love just one baby through to adult before you try adding another.
                    Meg
                    AeroDanes

Comment

I just got my pup about 6 weeks ago and I just love her to death and I'm TIRED! Between getting up at night, having her with me all day, going to doggie obedience classes, puppy play dates, etc. It's like having a toddler! I think if you want to do right by your pup, one is definitely enough, these are big dogs and they need to be trained properly and accordingly, otherwise you'd set yourself up for a heartache.
                      P.S. I'm a horse person and it's very similar with horses, it's extremely hard to own and raise two youngsters at the same time, it's almost impossible to have all the time and energy to do it.
                      Whatever you decide, good luck to you and keep us posted.
                      1 Great Dane, 1 Boxer, 1 Corgi Mix, 2 Devon Rex, 2 barn cats, 2 Quarter Horses (plus 9 other horses who board here), 2 Minis, one chinchilla, 26 chickens - welcome to the Funny Farm!

Comment

Originally posted by Steelrose View Post
                        First and foremost find an ethical breeder that breeds health tested parents with correct temperaments. Read every thing you can to educate yourself on the health issues of this breed and find a breeder that tests their stock to try and minimize the risks. Make sure your breeder has a reputation for buyer support for the life of the pups they produce. Keep in mind, cheaper is not the best choice when choosing a quality breeder and litter. As I suggested before, go thru the threads on this site and see the pit falls of not doing your research thoroughly. I say find a great breeder and create a relationship with that breeder.
                        I do intend to, I would appreciate any links to any good ones you may know of.
                        sigpic

Comment

In theory, yes, it could work with someone willing to do the work. The problem arises when a person says they are willing to do the work without realising what it will actually be like. Without even having had a Dane puppy before ever. I'm sorry I still find it highly doubtful this will end well with two puppies so close together.

I also agree with Brindle baby. I don't know of any good breeder who will let two puppies go close together to a first time buyer because of the high possibility of it going belly up. Do you? You may hope you're different, but in the end the breeder has been in it a while and doesn't let two go together for a reason: because it usually does not work.
                          Last edited by HarlequinHorror; 03-21-2012, 09:22 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Ok this may be brutally honest.. But what is the reasoning for wanting two so close together? You stated in your first post that this is a dream of yours. A dream to own more than one dane or to have two puppies at the same time and then a year later add a 3rd? Do you feel that they will be lonely without another puppy to play with? If it is companionship you want for your puppy, I can assure you that play dates in back yards, obedience class, agility class, dog parks, and other social activities, let alone all the time spent with you will be more than enough "companion ship" for your first puppy until he/she is 1 1/2-2 yrs old.

Honestly, Get your first pup (all pups) from a responsible breeder(one that won't give you two puppies that close together.. Or if you INSIST on purchasing from the same breeder-- at least make sure that she will take the puppy back when/if things get sour-- Written in a contract, proof she's taken puppies back, etc.)

I like everyone else on here strongly advise you that one pup at a time till they are all grown up is a lot of work, let alone adding another puppy to it.

Everybody pictures perfect puppies playing together and tuckering eachother out, making it less work for you. Reality sets in and the older one starts getting hormonal and this "new puppy" is making hormonal older puppy reactive.. Young puppy starts feeding off of this behavior.. It becomes a shit show. Even taking them to seperate obedience classes still doesn't necessarily mean that when you get home you have bonded more with this new puppy and that he/she won't attatch to this older puppy and have selective hearing when it comes to obeying the commands.

And then there are the expenses.. The potential injury of having your 6-8month old stepping on or playing too rough with your new puppy greatly increases. Of course accidents happen and can happen to any puppy. But say your 8 month old puppy has now hit teenager phase and is proceeding to rip up your pillow in your room. While your attending to the bedroom new 3 month old puppy just ingested something while you weren't watching..

2xvet bills, 2x vaccines, 2xfood, 2x classes, 2xneuter/spays/pexies, 2xToys,treats,collars, bowls, 2x the amount of time and 4 times the responsibility because two puppies will feed off eachother..

I have Moose, he is 11 months now. He is my only dog.. He is happy, content, and balanced. He is not lonely-- he has play dates, conformation classes, and is walked/exercised for 2-3 hours everyday. I work 8am-5pm.. My day starts at 6am and I get home from dog park, walking Moose, or conformation class at around 7-8pm every day He comes first.. I think in order to truly understand the value of a pack you must first create the bond between yourself and each dog.. I don't think that this is as easily achieved when you have two puppies so close in age.. Just my honest opinion..
                            sigpic
                            CHDANTRYDANES SUNNY SIDE OF LIFE- "Moose"
                            Born: April 10,2011

FINISHED IN 1 WEEKEND
                            Bitch-CHDANTRYDANES SHE'S A NATURAL
                            Stud-CHDANTRYDANES OUT OF AZORES

Comment

My dane was 15 months old when I found a 8-9 week old mini poodle puppy. Zephyr was still in teenage mode, and seemed to go back into puppy antics once the pup was around. The poodle is my parents dog, so I didn't have much to do with her upbringing, which is good, because I had my hands full with my dane. I can't imagine having pups close in age. I wouldn't want a new puppy until the older dog is ready to be a solid positive role model. Basically, if the first dog can't pass a CGC/CGN test, don't add another pup.
                              My dane is two now, and I finally feel like he's mature enough to add another pup. I know how busy and crazy life will be, separate training daily, separate exercise, training together, conformation and puppy class for the new addition. Then down the road rally and obedience competition with one dane and conformation and rally and obedience with the other. Lots of work.
                              Zephyr CGN, RE, TT- crazy harlequin
                              Divine Acres Riddle Me This- regal fawn

http://thegrownups.ca/ on life and (not) growing up.

Comment

I've been giving this a lot of thought. Maybe I should slow down. And the last thing I want to do is support a BYB. If someone wants to PM me to help me determine if that's what I am working with I would greatly appreciate that.

I would like to say one thing though, I can take constructive feedback and I really am here to learn. I would appreciate it if my opinion was heard and considered and I was not treated like a kinder-gardener who doesn't know what's best for her. That's all I ask, I will listen but I would like to be heard as well.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X