This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 danes 6 months apart

I'm planning to get two great danes a few months apart. I saw the sticky that says you shouldn't get 2 dogs at the same time but how far apart should they be in age? What should I be prepared for in adopting them close together?

Also, I tried to do a search on this to find the answer to my question but couldn't. If you know of thread, I would appreciate a link. Thanks in advance for any answers.
    sigpic

The ideal age difference is 2+ years. This is because Danes have a super wonderful teenage phase that hits around 9-10 months and last to 18ish months or so. This is when they eat your couch because they have been super great puppies and we all trust them by this time. So it is best to wait through this period so you can get your first dog back to being trained and regain your sanity and then add a puppy and do it all over again, but this time you have a good example for the pup to follow because of the older dane.
    Meg
    AeroDanes

Comment

I love having dogs 2-3 years apart, gives you time to get each trained, plus they won't all be aging/sickly at the same time hopefully.

Comment

I think it all depends on your abilities and experiences with dogs. I would have no problem adding another Dane pup/adult at any time, but I have a bit of experience. Someone that has little or no experience with dogs, let alone Danes, should probably think twice before getting 2 pups at any age... Each puppy needs a fair amount of time and energy on your part to be good members of the family and not end up in rescue because the owner was over-whelmed. How old will the pups be when you get them? That could make a big difference. Are they coming from rescue? Are they coming from breeders?, and do the breeders know you are getting 2? Not to stick my nose into your business, but you asked. Why would you be wanting to have 2 pups within a 6 month period?
        sigpic

My dogs may not be my whole life, but they make my life whole.

www.SteelRoseGreatDanes.com

Comment

I agree that what counts is experience and proven committment. I have welcomed into my home multiple female pups of different breeds and them being close in age, pretty much all my adult life. I raised two female littermate Great Danes with success and I will always treasure their life experience. I now foster multiple dogs and its not unusual to get two young dogs close in age. It is quite doable.

Comment

Originally posted by Steelrose View Post
            I think it all depends on your abilities and experiences with dogs. I would have no problem adding another Dane pup/adult at any time, but I have a bit of experience. Someone that has little or no experience with dogs, let alone Danes, should probably think twice before getting 2 pups at any age... Each puppy needs a fair amount of time and energy on your part to be good members of the family and not end up in rescue because the owner was over-whelmed. How old will the pups be when you get them? That could make a big difference. Are they coming from rescue? Are they coming from breeders?, and do the breeders know you are getting 2? Not to stick my nose into your business, but you asked. Why would you be wanting to have 2 pups within a 6 month period?

I hear what your saying but I think dogs are members of the family and I wouldn't give up on them. At the same time, I am trying to plan it out so that it works well in the house. I will have the pups when they are 8 weeks old from the breeder. Yes the breeder knows we want two several months apart. At first they were going to be 1 year apart and the breeder knew this but we ended up holding off on the first pup. So now they'll be about 6 months apart.

Our thinking is that we want 2 pups anyway, why not have them closer together. When they are potty trained and taught on the rules of the house we wont have to go through that so far apart because they will be closer together in age. This is also something my husband and I will be doing together which makes me feel more comfortable with taking two that are so young.

Also, after the younger one is 2, we'll probably get another Dane. The longer we wait for the 2nd dane, the longer ill have to wait for the 3rd. I have been waiting for this for a long time. This is something I've wanted for years, but I have been waiting for the right time in our lives to do this.

I know I'm not the expert here, that's why I'm asking these questions. But this is our thinking on it. What do you think?
            sigpic

Comment

I think you're going way to fast! If I read this correctly this is your first dane. You really would be much better waiting till after the teenage phase. Two puppies is not less work because they are together - it is twice the work. Make no mistake, it will be HARDER, not easier. If you realise this, and are fully dedicated to it and research your breeder thoroughly to make sure you have a reputable and experienced one who will give you advise throughout the lifetime of a dog, and commit to training the dogs separately, then maybe.

But, to be honest, most first time dane owners end up getting a dog from a byb without knowing it, despite reading on here, and then if they get two on top of it... It really is just asking for trouble. I know there was a guy on here who got two puppies and one had to be rehomed. You may not think of this as a possibility, but until you have been through it you can't say it won't happen.
              My advise to you is to get your first puppy, see how the teenage phase goes and then rethink on the next dane.
              sigpic

Comment

Dane happy, not to be up in your business, but I am a bit concerned. Before you get your first puppy, please scroll through DOL and read about the horror stories of dogs that came from less than stellar breeders, ie: Back yard Breeders. If you are planning on getting any Dane pup, Let alone 2 Dane pups, it is vital that you find an ethical breeder that will be there through out the raising and training of these pups. I encourage you to go forth and get a wonderful Great Dane for you and your family, just be cautious and don't buy on impulse. Take the time to research many breeders. Feel free to come in here or PM DOL members to ask questions on what to look for in a good breeder and healthy dogs.
                sigpic

My dogs may not be my whole life, but they make my life whole.

www.SteelRoseGreatDanes.com

Comment

I completely agree ~ slow down a bit. Find an amazing breeder that health tests their dogs (ie hips, eyes, heart etc) Get your first dane puppy and ENJOY that alone time with that baby. Let them grow up and train them to be model doggy citizens and then consider another.. No need to rush...
                  ~*Hailey*~
                  sigpic
                  Sway 4/21/10 - 11/26/13
                  "Our hearts still ache in sadness, And secret tears still flow, What it meant to lose you, No one will ever know."

Comment

I don't want you guys to worry. Yes I want two danes close together but I am going to try to do all I can to make the process go smoothly. If I feel that one is enough at the time, I will wait for my 2nd dane. And my breeder hasn't pressured me to get one too soon. When I postponed getting the first one she told me, it'll happen when the time is right for you. She let me know that I can wait if I want/need to.

I will try to learn all I can about great danes to prepare myself and my family for the process. Also I will look more into my breeder. But I do not believe her to be a BYB and I feel comfortable in stating that should a problem arise she would be there to help me with it.

Thanks guys for your answers
                    sigpic

Comment

I hope you really take to heart what we are saying, NO good breeder will tell a first time dane owner it is ok to get two puppies at the same time or close together.

You WILL feel like, when the pup is 6 months old, that you can handle another. This is because your first is still being an angel and hasn't reached the teenage phase we all talk about on here. It seems like after the advice on here clearly says do not do this you are still saying you are going to anyway. So why come and ask?

Does your breeder(s) show and are the parents CHs?
                      Does your breeder test (and you verify through www.offa.org) for hips, heart, thyroid and eyes?
                      Meg
                      AeroDanes

Comment

My older dogs are 2 years apart, they are 7 and 9 now. My IW baby is 7 months...
                        I have plenty of time to give her all the attention and training she needs because the older dogs are bombproof now.
                        I had 2 littermates once, I can truly say it was a nightmare and I will never do that again.
                        Good luck with whatever you decide, but i have to say I agree with the sentiments of most of the replies..
                        give the first pup ALL the attention he/she deserves, (get through the teenage phase) then add a second.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dane Happy View Post
                          I don't want you guys to worry. Yes I want two danes close together but I am going to try to do all I can to make the process go smoothly. If I feel that one is enough at the time, I will wait for my 2nd dane. And my breeder hasn't pressured me to get one too soon. When I postponed getting the first one she told me, it'll happen when the time is right for you. She let me know that I can wait if I want/need to.

I will try to learn all I can about great danes to prepare myself and my family for the process. Also I will look more into my breeder. But I do not believe her to be a BYB and I feel comfortable in stating that should a problem arise she would be there to help me with it.

Thanks guys for your answers
                          I always thought that getting two puppies together was the way to go (you know playmates, one housetraining time, and all that) until I got my second dane puppy a month after my first dane puppy. They did play together well, and still do, but man it was so much work. You have to keep an eagle eye on two babies until you can get them housetrained, and then some more until they get to the point where you can trust they won't eat your shoes or your couch while your back is turned. You really need to take them to separate training classes, and then again to training classes together. Separate walks, training times outside of class, rest times for neutering one right after another (that was hell), two teenage maniacs running around the house, two large puppies nipping at your thighs to play and probably a bunch of other things that my mind is repressing at the moment.

They are 2.5 years old now and are good boys, pretty well behaved on the whole (because we put the work in) and we just added a new puppy. Just for an example, we've had her a day and a half and she already is starting to go to the door to go outside to potty (which took the boys quite a bit longer to figure out). I think this is because she has two already trained "big brothers" to show her the ropes. It's so much easier to keep an eye on her because I don't have to keep an eye on them as well. If I had to do it over again, I'd most likely have waited until Finnegan was older to get George (which is not to say that I don't love George to bits, just that it would've been easier in the long run).

I just wanted to share my experience with you, but no matter what choice you make the nice people here will be around to help out and to support you (though you might hear the occasional "told you so").
                          sigpic

Willow says: Can I have my apple, please?

Comment

Interesting that the breeder seems to have new pups ready to go every 6 months. Is this from the same breeding pair each time?
                            "I don’t care if a dog is 150 pounds or 10 pounds, and whether the issue is leash manners or biting visitors. There are no dogs who need a heavier hand—there are only trainers who need more knowledge and a lighter touch." Suzanne Clothier
                            sigpic
                            Rocky & Emma
                            Follow our adventures at
                            www.instagram.com/spottedangels

Comment

Originally posted by thisiscyndi View Post
                              Interesting that the breeder seems to have new pups ready to go every 6 months. Is this from the same breeding pair each time?
                              i was thinking the very same thing!
                              [SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                              X