No announcement yet.

really?!?! the couch?!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are having the same problems with our foster dog. Originally he was surrendered because of separation anxiety. Their other dog had died, they didn't want to get another one, and he was freaking out when left alone. He was put on Prozac the first time he was in rescue and they said it worked. Two years later he's back with us. The surrendering owner said he destroyed things and had accidents "occasionally" but it's more like every single day. We both work full time. We tried leaving him loose at first because they said he doesn't like the crate but he started eating movies. We tried closing him in a room with one of our other dogs (who also has to be confined). He took every plastic bin in the room (contained bird food for the birds that are caged in the same room) and shredded them! He opened the closet door and shredded everything in there too. Then we decided to try a crate in the same room. He peed everywhere and squeezed out the door of the crate (zip-tied). Then he opened the door to the room and I was greeted at the door by both of them. Now we have him loose again with everything he could possibly destroy put away. He likes picking bottles and cans out of the recycling bin which is fine. He pees and poops but he keeps it on the hard floors. We put him back on Prozac but it hasn't done any good. I got a DAP diffuser. He pulled that out of the socket and destroyed that (I was hoping ingesting the stuff might help). We've tried to find a new foster home for him but nobody is willing to take him. So I clean up a mess every day when I come home from work. Last night he chewed DH's Kindle. Luckily, Amazon will replace them for just $35. Good luck! If you find anything that works I'd be interested to know what it is.
    Julie
    Duds and Miles 5- and 6-year-old fawns, Smudge (terrier mix); Bobke, Fig, Olive, Albert (cats); Einstein (African Grey), Rocky (Amazon Parrot).
    RIP Willow 12/95 - 04/04, Maia 03/05 - 10/11, Maverick 11/07-10/14, Spencer 05/06-12/14
    Upper Midwest Great Dane Rescue Volunteer www.thegreatdanerescue.com
    sigpic

Comment

If you go the vallium route, be careful and try it out at a time when you are home. They prescribed it for Jazz to try to get her trough the 4th of July season as fireworks were the reason she bloated the first time.

She is very sensitive to medicine. With Vallium she had an adverse reaction to which she was literally barking at the walls/shadows everything. She couldn't calm down for anything and it went on for hours on end. I could see it in her eyes she desperately wanted rest but her body was on edge and she couldn't rest she just barked aimlessly at everything. We were all in misery.

I called the vet first thing the next AM and she said a small percentage of dogs will have that reaction, so if your dog is sensitive to meds I'd be really cautious!

Em
      sigpic
      Emily
      Jazz - GD rescued at 5 months (september 27th, 2009)
      Blues - GD rescued at ? grew through 2012 (July 29, 2011)
      Preston - 8 y/o "grumpy old man" yorkie mix

bluesfightscancer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzandcompany View Post
        If you go the vallium route, be careful and try it out at a time when you are home. They prescribed it for Jazz to try to get her trough the 4th of July season as fireworks were the reason she bloated the first time.

She is very sensitive to medicine. With Vallium she had an adverse reaction to which she was literally barking at the walls/shadows everything. She couldn't calm down for anything and it went on for hours on end. I could see it in her eyes she desperately wanted rest but her body was on edge and she couldn't rest she just barked aimlessly at everything. We were all in misery.

I called the vet first thing the next AM and she said a small percentage of dogs will have that reaction, so if your dog is sensitive to meds I'd be really cautious!

Em
        Good to know, I prefer to try meds out while I am at home. Tonight he got a dose of the clomipramine and 1mg of xanax, he's been knocked out, but I mentioned "outside" and he jumped right up. So I know he's not out too much lol. I have noticed with most meds, they work really well in the beginning, then he adjusts and they seem to have no effect (just like me in this aspect, no pain med has ever touched any pain I've ever had, but they do make me crazy).

Keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow. Can't decide what to do with him...leave him out like I have been, crate him and hope it doesn't add to the anxiety, or try him in the bathroom for the first time, which may add to the anxiety as well. I'm leaning towards leaving him out and putting the dining room chairs on the couch.
        sigpic
        "Mom, he's touching me"
        Emily - Mom of Mick (12yo collie/aussie), Rosie (9yo fawn dane) and Keebler (4yo black dane)

Comment

I just wanna hug ya a huge cyber hug!
          I remember building a door with 2x4's and chicken wire after my lab chewed all the corners off my roomate's kitchen cupboards, (just the tip of of the iceberg)
          At the tender age of 22 is was one funky door. A topic of many conversations! After being threatened with eviction I ended up moving my bed into the empty dining room and sleeping in the open floor plan . Many sleepless nights waiting for all the parties to end, all so worth it he was the best dog ever.
          Throwing some way outta the box ideas? Clean the daycare on weekends? Maybe barter night dog walks with another dog?
          sigpic
          Myboy RIP at 2 1/2 product of BYB

Comment

Yeah, I was thinking about going by the daycare that's close by (I have a friend that uses it daily with her severe SA dog as well) and see if I can do some weekend/ evening/ overnight work for them in exchange for discounted care. Even if it's 2-3 times a week, it's gotta help.
            sigpic
            "Mom, he's touching me"
            Emily - Mom of Mick (12yo collie/aussie), Rosie (9yo fawn dane) and Keebler (4yo black dane)

Comment

Ask about any programs they have too. When I used to live in the city the place I would take the dogs was a social doggie day care (everyone plays in groups and is loose all day except for meals/nap time haha). They had a program where if you come ten times you get one for free. They also had a program that if you bought ten visits at once you got 15% off kind of deal.

Maybe Keebler needs Yoga? (that's my solution to everything lately)
              sigpic
              Nitro- Female Mastiff x Dane - July 3, 2010 - July 27, 2013 (RIP Sweet Girl)
              Moose - Male Great Dane - June 3, 2011
              Rush - Male Great Dane - April 8th, 2015 (MBPIS MBPIG Can. GCH Group Placing Paquestone's Intense Rush)

Comment

lmao, well, I've been reading "Bones Would Fall from the Sky", so last night we were ALL in bed (I really need to invest in a King size bed, queen just isn't cutting it anymore) and I started reading it outloud. Keebler LOVED it. He just rested his head on me and watched me intently. I wonder if I recorded (ugh, I HATE the sound of my voice) myself reading something and played it, if that would help. I guess anything is worth a shot these days.
                sigpic
                "Mom, he's touching me"

Comment

OUCH, I lost a couch many years ago too. Not a happy time.

I have had too much experience with SA. My brother came to live with me with a boxer with SA and I also had a Giant Schnauzer had severe SA plus severe anger management issues. The clomipramine was a silver bullet for my brother's boxer, didn't do a thing for my GS. He raised his boxer from a puppy and my GS came to me older with issues. I always wondered if that had anything to do with the effectiveness. I tried everything. I would give her a frozen kong, open the garage, pull off the drive, immediately pull back on, go back in the house and she'd poop all over herself. I did that about 45,000 times. Eventually wound up putting her on Prozac. It worked for her with no visible side effects. I guess every dog is different and responds differently to medications. I thought I read in your post that you take him off it for the weekends. If I recall, Clomipramine something you should wean on and off of. If so, that may be causing some issues as well.

In my humble opinion, I wouldn't lock in him the bathroom. I'd opt to try the chairs on the sofa. We use plastic runner material turned upside down when we are not home.

My heart goes out to you. My rescue Clare has mild SA and honestly, there are days when I wish I could give her back, but unfortunately for me, I love her. I keep telling myself, there's a reason for Clare. It's such a difficult thing to deal with.
                  Karen - Myles, Keegan, Clare and Murphy
                  sigpic

Comment

Good to know that prozac worked when clomipramine didn't. I read that people should be on it consistently, but I didn't know about dogs, which is why I asked at the vets office...I have since changed vets and this one seems much more willing to work with me (she has a lab with SA as well, which helps I think, at least she gets it). I am going to finish this script of Clomipramine and then switch him over to prozac to see if there's a difference. I left him out with a kong today and just put the chairs on the couch. We'll see how it goes. I also got up and took them on a 25min walk this morning since it's nice out today. I start petsitting today, so we will have a yard he can run around in and a friend to play with, and then I'll drop him off at home while I'm working. I'm going to stop by a daycare place and look into dropping him off next Weds to see how he does. Maybe if I can break up with week (plus, that's one of 2 days that I'm gone for work, then for a couple of hrs in the evening). Crossing my fingers that we'll find something that works. Thanks again everyone for the encouragement, its nice to not feel so alone
                    sigpic
                    "Mom, he's touching me"

Comment

Originally posted by oubball14 View Post
                      lmao, well, I've been reading "Bones Would Fall from the Sky", so last night we were ALL in bed (I really need to invest in a King size bed, queen just isn't cutting it anymore) and I started reading it outloud. Keebler LOVED it. He just rested his head on me and watched me intently. I wonder if I recorded (ugh, I HATE the sound of my voice) myself reading something and played it, if that would help. I guess anything is worth a shot these days.
                      My friend has a weimy with severe SA and she plays a tape of her voice reading and for the past two weeks not very much has been destroyed so you really might give it a try! She has it going through the sound system and on a loop so it plays all the time she is gone. I feel for you just seeing what she has gone through.
                      sigpic

Comment

I should also mention that I used to get my girlie's prozac at Walgreens. They allow dogs to join a plan they have where you pay ten dollars (or something close to that) and you get discounts on the medications. With the plan her meds were 1/3 of the original cost (I had her on generic).

My GS was so well trained I could put her in a down stay in Lowe's garden center and do all my shopping and she wouldn't move. The prozac didn't solve all our problems, but it helped.

Just don't be tempted to take some yourself dealing with SA.
                        Karen - Myles, Keegan, Clare and Murphy
                        sigpic

Comment

lmao, Oh, trust me...I've thought about dosing myself with xanax before going home. I swear, sometimes I think the effect on me is worse than it is on them

ETA: good to know about walgreens...I got his xanax filled there and they looked at me like I was crazy. I'll have to ask them about the prescription plan THANKS!
                          sigpic
                          "Mom, he's touching me"

Comment

Working...
                          X