Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 weeks old

Hello,
    I'm new here and I have a few questions about my new Great Dane. I got him a little shy of 8 weeks old. I started training right away. I'm only have one slight problem with him right now. He seems to get really protective of me when my other dog (dachshund mix, I've had her for 2 years) approaches me or when I show her affection. My dane puppy is a male and my dachshund is a female. The weird thing is I don't baby my puppy and keep him by me all the time so I'm not sure why he behaves like this sometimes.When he does get aggressive I correct him and use positive reinforcement. Also this only seems to happen when I'm around. They play fine together outside when I'm not there. I don't want him to be an aggressive dog and I'm not sure if this is just something they go through as a puppy. Please help.
    sigpic

I think one of our more experienced members will have more to offer in the way of training advice, so I will limit myself to suggesting enrolling in a puppy class ASAP. Even if you forget about the training aspect of a puppy class there are limitless benefits in the way of socialization.

I'm also curious about your pup's background because, depending on the parents, your pup may be predisposed to undesirable behaviors. Some breeders do not take temperament into consideration as much as they should when breeding. If you'd care to share any info you have on the pup's genetic history and/or lines that may help to give some insight.

ETA: Welcome!! There's a ton of info on this sight as well as knowledgeable and experienced owners who are fantastic resources! You're in the right place for sure!
    Misty, Leonidas (Dane), and Valor (Pomeranian Mix)
    Current 52 Photo Project:http://flic.kr/s/aHsjDu8ALZ

Comment

Can you describe how he is being protective? What is his behavior and actions.

Comment

More info and behavior description is needed in order for anyone to help. What you see could be weird aggression at a very early age (scary!) or just a puppy being playful and thinking "Yay! Now there's three of us to play together!"

Does the doxie put the pup in his place when they play together? It's OK for her to get snarky and teach him some doggy manners if he gets rude with her (too pushy). If you're correcting her when she does this, you're messing up the situation. You really need to back up what your resident dog does to show the new pup what's acceptable, as long as she's not seeking him out to attack him. You should see her reacting to his advances with occasional snarkiness (totally normal) and you should see him back off (and assist him to back off if needed with re-direction).
        Tracy
        sigpic
        Mouse April 2010
        Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

The breeders didn't mention anything about their Danes being aggressive. By protective I mean he makes this specific growl and starts to bite my other dog. She corrects him sometimes but other times she just walks away. I don't correct the dachshund I correct the puppy and redirect him positively. But I don't correct him all the time, I let the adult dog correct him too. This happens everyday but not all day. He also gets that way when shes playing with a toy. He will growl and take it from her and she doesn't seem to mind. Even if shes playing with a stick he will try to take it from her and shes runs around with it but he can't keep up so he stops and goes about his business. I'm hoping this is just regular puppy behavior and I'm just looking too much into it. Thanks for all of your replies in advance.
          sigpic

Comment

I'm sure some others will jump in here too, but it sounds like resource guarding to me, you being the resource. You might want to search the archives on it. There was a good one, not too long ago

Welcome!

Em
            sigpic
            Emily
            Jazz - GD rescued at 5 months (september 27th, 2009)
            Blues - GD rescued at ? grew through 2012 (July 29, 2011)
            Preston - 8 y/o "grumpy old man" yorkie mix

bluesfightscancer.com

Comment

I will check that out. Thanks for the welcoming!
              sigpic

Comment

Good for re-directing!

I would get up and ignore the puppy when he tries to resource guard you...Hmm, but that might make you more valuable...yeah, forget I said that. Gotta think like a dog.

What does the puppy like more than you? For example, with a food guarder, you would repeatedly drop very high value treats in the bowl until the dog realized motion towards his bowl is AWESOME because chicken chunks come from that nearby hand instead of the hand taking the food. With a toy guarder, you would repeatedly trade the guarded ball with a more valuable SQUEAKY ball.

Hopefully, someone else will chime in on owner resource guarding. I've never directly dealt with that.
                Tracy
                sigpic
                Mouse April 2010
                Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Thanks! I'm not sure what he likes more than me. He plays with his toys happily and he likes to eat his food. One thing I also noticed about the puppy is when I'm with him outside he follows me everywhere. Even when I'm talking to someone by the fence I look down and he's sitting next to me. Sometimes he will be playing with the other dog or sniffing around. If were in the living room and I leave he will try to follow me. But if hes sleeping on the floor he will just look up and go back to sleep.
                  Last edited by ThinkHalo; 01-17-2012, 10:06 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Are you sure he is being aggressive/protective and not just obnoxious puppy? If he is truly resource guarding you at such a young age, that is very concerning.

Comment

I was thinking it might be good to take some preventative redirection steps now so it doesn't develop into resource guarding? This is interesting to me. How does a puppy owner know what they are looking at and know to do something before it becomes a problem?

Oy. This is why I rescue adults...I'm a paranoid wreck with a puppy. I raised one puppy from nine weeks and I so was SO fortunate that Toby had a rock-solid in-born sweet and submissive temperament. It was probably a good thing I was pretty clueless back then or I'da had Toby in doggy therapy by the age of 10 months, imagining all sorts of problems that weren't really there.
                      Tracy
                      sigpic
                      Mouse April 2010

Comment

That's what I was saying earlier. Maybe I'm just looking too much into this and he's just being a puppy. Lol you have me laughing right now mnmouse! Thanks for all of your feedback and advice everybody. I will update asap if anything changes.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X