Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We used to feed everyone in our large kitchen in PA. Here, the kitchen is smaller, and the rest of the upstairs common area is hard wood floors. I did not want raw meat on hardwood. SO....

Tori eats in Zach's room. She eats kibble, so it does not matter that she is on the carpet. She is getting older and enjoys "living with Zach" who is her boy. Her bed is in him room and everything. They both love it.

Reilly, mostly because of space, but also because he hangs with his favorite human, Dave, all day long while Dave works from home, eats down in our master suite. Our sitting room, where my desk is (and Dave is currently working until his office is done), has tile flooring. Reilly likes to sleep on our bed all day, so he can have the life of Reilly all day. He rarely barks, so he is a perfect office companion for Dave.

The two puppers eat in the kitchen, side by side, sometimes practically on top of each other, their choice. Ayla is always done first, and she walks out of the kitchen when she is done, and waits for Milo to finish so they can go out and potty. Sometimes she goes out alone, but sometimes she actually waits for Milo to go too.

Update: Nothing happened to make me change my routine, but I did for convenience sake, and because our dog's rec room is less under construction and more usable now. I now feed each of the youngsters down in the rec room, each in their own crate. They run in and sit in their crates and wait for their meat. Our dog meat freezers and fridge are down there, too, so it is super convenient. Milo, being a boxer, takes longer, and the crates allows him whatever time he needs without me having to stand guard. It also keeps me from having to mop the kitchen floor twice a day!! Reilly now eats in the rec room too, from a towel on the floor. Rei and Ayla get let out of the room when they are done, and Milo can take as long as he needs. I love this approach.
    Last edited by crdane; 05-02-2012, 04:07 PM.
    Chris, Wife to Dave, and Mom three human teenagers.
    Also mom to Tori (11 yo Lab), , Ayla (2 yo brindle dane), Milo (2 yo boxer), Killian (4 week old iw pup who is still with his breeder and mommy) 3 kittens, 2 horses, multiple reptiles, 7 fainting goats, 25 chickens, and 2 pot bellied pigs, all of whom make life great!
    RIP CARLIE 2/09-2/11 & REILLY 10/4/08-11/20/12, best friends together forever now.

sigpic

Comment

All 3 of mine go into a down, before I start getting the kibble and Summer's Proin into bowls, and must stay there while I place the 3 bowls into each spot. If anyone moves, I freeze in place until they down again. I then tell each of them to "watch me" and after I have all 6 eyes on me, they get an "OK" and they each tear off to their bowl.

Coleman inhales his food, so I usually split it between his two bowls to slow him down a bit, Summer is second to finish, and then Tini, b/c she gets more, and eats a lot slower, thank goodness! They all then go out to potty, and as soon as they come back in, Cole goes to check Tini's bowl, and lick it clean for her. You'd think after 2 years of never finding food in it (if for some reason she doesn't eat, I pick it up before they go out) he'd give up, but he's nothing if not persistent (and a little dense, if truth is to be told!)
      sigpicDane and Martini

Comment

I can only hope that my 2 dogs behave as well as the ones in these posts someday! My question is...how do I get there?

We have a Cavalier King Charles, Oliver, that for the last 2 years has fed freely from his bowl throughout the day. About 2 weeks ago, we brought home a Great Dane puppy, Jessica, and I am having a terrible time trying to figure out how to get them to NOT eat each other's food. I have gone to distinct feeding times spaced throughout the day now for both of them. They share well, but obviously they can't both eat the same thing or same amount. Oliver turns up his nose now at the food he has always eaten and she will eat either one. I tried feeding one outside and one inside but it didn't work. Jessica won't eat outside at all and Oliver won't eat his food at all. What do I do?

Comment

Put them in separate rooms or in crates, so they can't get to each other, put the food down and if it's not gone in 10 minutes, pick it up, try again for supper time. They will figure out they eat or they don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Newtoda View Post
            I can only hope that my 2 dogs behave as well as the ones in these posts someday! My question is...how do I get there?

We have a Cavalier King Charles, Oliver, that for the last 2 years has fed freely from his bowl throughout the day. About 2 weeks ago, we brought home a Great Dane puppy, Jessica, and I am having a terrible time trying to figure out how to get them to NOT eat each other's food. I have gone to distinct feeding times spaced throughout the day now for both of them. They share well, but obviously they can't both eat the same thing or same amount. Oliver turns up his nose now at the food he has always eaten and she will eat either one. I tried feeding one outside and one inside but it didn't work. Jessica won't eat outside at all and Oliver won't eat his food at all. What do I do?
            Going from 1 to 2 dogs is the only time you will have to teach multi-manners to both at the same time (assuming you will always have more than one dog from here on out)

Do like GoingPostal said and separate. The more times they do steal from each other's dishes the harder it will be to break them of it because they have self-rewarded with stolen goods!

Make it fun. How about putting them both in a sit. Make them wait a few seconds then treat them for being patient and calm. Then if they are doing well with that make the duration a tad longer then treat dog 1. If dog 2 is still being patient then treat. If dog 2 pops or breaks stay then just walk away. Poor puppy, no treat! Eventually, you can use the same premace and use their food dishes. Put a kibble or two in their bowls, put them in a sit/stay, calmly place their dishes down and when you say "okay" they can eat the kibble. If they pop up or break stay pick bowls up again and calmly try again. No bad puppy reprimands, just no reward until it is done correctly.

Everyone is different! You will develop your routine before you know it! Bottom line is calm, polite mealtimes without scuffles

Repetition in short time increments, consistency, equals proofing! Before you know it they will have default meal behaviors.
            Last edited by humbug; 05-02-2012, 03:51 PM.
            June, Bumper (deaf & blind), Joey, Daisy, and Angel Ann (deaf)
            RIP Dakota Blue Moon
            Oct 27, 2006, Oct 01, 2012

"I'd tell ya...but I'd have ta lick ya"
            sigpic

Comment

I know before I even post this that there is a whole contingent that disagrees with my feeding philosophy, so you don't have to waste any space responding to this. I free feed. I've always feed fed. All breeds, all ages, nobody is overweight, nobody is bloating (because they don't gobble their food in panic), and even when we've brought in a rescue that had different eating habits, all it took was about a week of food scattered on the floor so that they had to eat a piece at a time and then when finished there was a bit more in a bowl nearby.
              We keep a full bowl available at all times. The dogs nibble at will. Nobody fights over who gets to eat when and I've never had an overweight dog. So, I am just saying this is an option, and the dogs will regulate themselves. Message me if you want details on weaning your dogs to this method.

Comment

Originally posted by TheEIEIos View Post
                I know before I even post this that there is a whole contingent that disagrees with my feeding philosophy, so you don't have to waste any space responding to this. I free feed. I've always feed fed. All breeds, all ages, nobody is overweight, nobody is bloating (because they don't gobble their food in panic), and even when we've brought in a rescue that had different eating habits, all it took was about a week of food scattered on the floor so that they had to eat a piece at a time and then when finished there was a bit more in a bowl nearby.
                We keep a full bowl available at all times. The dogs nibble at will. Nobody fights over who gets to eat when and I've never had an overweight dog. So, I am just saying this is an option, and the dogs will regulate themselves. Message me if you want details on weaning your dogs to this method.
                Just curious, what would happen if there were ever an emergency and a dog needed immediate vet care and you couldn't tell the vet exactly when the dog last ate or how much? This is something that could interfere with care. I wouldn't risk it.
                Zephyr CGN, RE, TT- crazy harlequin
                Divine Acres Riddle Me This- regal fawn

http://thegrownups.ca/ on life and (not) growing up.

Comment

Originally posted by ouesi View Post
                  We do similar to June and Jeann, except dogs are allowed to crowd around the food closet while bowls are being filled. I like that they have to practice self control around each other in a high excitement situation.

Once bowls are filled, we feed in the same order at each dog's spot. Spots are far enough away that dogs get to eat in peace, but they're not totally isolated.
                  Bowl goes down, then dogs have to sit and make eye contact before being released to eat.
                  Very often once everyone is eating, I'll add goodies to their food (leftovers), so they associate someone approaching them while eating with good things. Most of the time the kids (human) do the feeding and often the add ons too. Supervised of course.

When dogs get finished, they are allowed to see what everyone else got within reason. If another dog is eating, they have to wait at a polite distance and the other dog has to show he's done, before going to check out the bowl. This is all carefully supervised but I allow it because of our current pack make-up and that they really need the practice with respecting each other's signals. Bates and Lunar are both very strong willed, pushy males and reminding them to "use their words" (not their teeth) helps keep the peace.
                  Well rather than type it all out again -- this is pretty much exactly what we do.
                  We also practice "leave it" very often with both Danes laying side by side & putting treats in between them, on their paws, etc. We started this when Emma displayed resource guarding issues at 4 months old.
                  "I don’t care if a dog is 150 pounds or 10 pounds, and whether the issue is leash manners or biting visitors. There are no dogs who need a heavier hand—there are only trainers who need more knowledge and a lighter touch." Suzanne Clothier
                  sigpic
                  Rocky & Emma
                  Follow our adventures at
                  www.instagram.com/spottedangels

Comment

I don't know what would happen. One thing I do know for sure is that they tend to set their own schedule which happens to be about 4 meals a day and the amount they consume is probably no more than a cup at any given time. I hear them in the middle of the night chewing. The bowl is filled every morning so the amount is consistent.

Comment

Free feeding is just not a good idea for so many reasons, especially not a breed prone to bloat. Being able to give accurate information (not a guestimate) about when the dog ate last and how much, can be critical information in an emergency.

Scheduled meals means I know not only how much each dog is eating when, but I also know if anything is slightly off. Did the dog dive right in as usual, or was there some disinterest? This way I can tell the vet, "he was eating fine wed morning, but by wed evening he seemed a bit off, and by thursday he wasn't eating at all." How long would it take a free feeder to notice a change in their dog's appetite?

Scheduled meals means I can give heartworm preventative on a full stomach (as you should), it means I can add supplements and add-ons individualized for each dog, it means the food isn't out all day with dog spit all over it brewing who knows what and attracting bugs and critters...

But mainly scheduled meals are a bonding time for us and our dogs. Just like family meals are for the humans in the house
                      Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
                      - Anatole France

Comment

Originally posted by ouesi View Post

But mainly scheduled meals are a bonding time for us and our dogs. Just like family meals are for the humans in the house
                        THIS!! ^^^

Meal time is the most awesome time of the day for us, I can't imagine not wanting to share this special time with my dogs. I hand out their big chunks of raw meat while sing-songing talking to them and they tingle with excitement.

I also feed raw, once a day. I can't leave raw food just laying around. Mouse and Echo would eat it all eventually anyway. They LOVE raw meat--I couldn't "free feed" raw meat. You can free-feed kibble because it's so dang boring and dry that most dogs eat it because they HAVE to.

Our routine is sometimes filled bowl in "their" spots and sometimes I hand it out myself by the sink. The danes eat right away. The border collie eats until she's full and when she stops, she's done and I put any leftovers away. The old husky waits until everyone is done and are jealously eyeing his meat, then he eats until he's full and I put the rest away. Three of mine are self-regulated raw eaters, and Mouse is a pig who would eat until he popped
                        Tracy
                        sigpic
                        Mouse April 2010
                        Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

I free feed my Danes too. I put the food down, they freely eat it until it is gone. LOL
                          Sorry true free feeding is a no go here - doesnt work & would never work. Here is WHY:

1. My Danes eat and eat and eat until they get sick, puke, then they eat more. No amount of free feeding would ever change this. Especially Logan, there is never ever ever EVER a time when he would not devour every last piece of food in sight. There have been 2 times in the 4 years he's been with us that he refused food -- we RUSHED to the vet immediately because we knew something was wrong wrong wrong wrong (1st time was prebloat resolved without surgery, 2nd time was an abcess inside his mouth we had no idea was there).
                          2. I use their kibble for training. There are days they get an entire meal hand fed while training. Plus Emma is a resource guarder and meal times are when we work on training to keep that at bay.
                          3. Emma has very bad ALLERGIES so cannot eat even one piece of Logan's kibble or treats.
                          4. I use kongs, zogoflex, and other food dispensing toys to mentally stimulate and occupy their brains. This is a method of "free feeding" both the dogs and I can get behind completely.
                          5. Logan only gets 3 cups of food a day. More than that (plus any extras given for training) and he gains weight. When we fed raw he got a total of a 1.5 pounds a day. This isnt much for a big dog and he is always hungry - which leads back to #1.
                          "I don’t care if a dog is 150 pounds or 10 pounds, and whether the issue is leash manners or biting visitors. There are no dogs who need a heavier hand—there are only trainers who need more knowledge and a lighter touch." Suzanne Clothier
                          sigpic
                          Rocky & Emma
                          Follow our adventures at
                          www.instagram.com/spottedangels

Comment

I have two that would eat until they popped! In addition, I have schedule of work and school, and I want the furkids on a schedule too! I want to know when they are approximately going to poop every day, as well as know that they are not going to want to go in the house when I am not here. I enjoy the family experience/bonding. I like the leverage that being a provider gives me. I don't want to starve or control them; I love their enjoyment of the ritual, I love that we keep manners in check with me and each other, and this morning I love that I am teaching my deaf girl to "speak", as well as "shush" with kibble. Also, the after-meal ritual of patting for burp and face-wipe, I am finally able to touch Angel's lips and lift them up a bit to see her teeth. I use rituals they love as BIG leverage!
                            June, Bumper (deaf & blind), Joey, Daisy, and Angel Ann (deaf)
                            RIP Dakota Blue Moon
                            Oct 27, 2006, Oct 01, 2012

"I'd tell ya...but I'd have ta lick ya"
                            sigpic

Comment

I just became a new dane parent on July 1st, she's my only pet and has been great so far. I just got back from a vacation to see my family back home. My dad/grandma/friends all had dogs and they would be good friends and play. But, when it was time for the food to come out she would growl and snap at the other dogs. While she was eating I, or anyone else, could pet her and she'd be fine but if one of the other dogs even got close she's growl at them. Since she's my only dog, how can I get her to stop doing this?
                              sigpic
                              Flea
                              Born 4:6:13
                              Brought Home 7:1:13

Lots of lovin' keep it comin'!
                              Makin' somethin' out of nothin'!

Comment

Originally posted by Avalon! View Post
                                I just became a new dane parent on July 1st, she's my only pet and has been great so far. I just got back from a vacation to see my family back home. My dad/grandma/friends all had dogs and they would be good friends and play. But, when it was time for the food to come out she would growl and snap at the other dogs. While she was eating I, or anyone else, could pet her and she'd be fine but if one of the other dogs even got close she's growl at them. Since she's my only dog, how can I get her to stop doing this?
                                Resource guarding from other dogs is totally normal behavior. As long as the other dogs are being respectful and responding to the warnings to back off, I leave it be. It's actually the other dogs who are being rude by approaching a dog eating. JMO...
                                Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
                                - Anatole France

Comment

Working...
                                X